Free agency begins

Stinger226

What I like about Poles is stays on the plan even with detours. I sense he got experience with this method at KC. When you shoot for 2nd and 3rd wave players, you lose more than you win. Allen and Ogunjobi were his prime targets, but when they were lost he didn't jump to overpaying for the backup plan. I think Patrick  , Pringle, and Jones are people that out play their contracts. Al-Q and Morrow are potential core players. I think he has contract offers out there for a LT and another OL, and waiting on them for their price to come down. I don't think there are any problems adding CBs and SSs at his price. Lots of decent talent out there. Another WR and LB will be areas he will have to play a little more for.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We signed a SS today, Dane Cruikshank/ 6'1", 212 with 4.41 speed. The main use for Titans that Dane did was play NLB and covered TEs. He shut down Kittle, Kelce and Gescki last year. We found our N guy.  Before today, never heard of the guy. A leader on STs.

43 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We signed a SS today, Dane Cruikshank/ 6'1", 212 with 4.41 speed. The main use for Titans that Dane did was play NLB and covered TEs. He shut down Kittle, Kelce and Gescki last year. We found our N guy.  Before today, never heard of the guy. A leader on STs.

I agree with both of your last posts.

I also think that Poles is looking for upside in second tier FA players, almost like a small time free agent draft. I dont expect him to hit on all of them, but if they are good at this, and bring in a lot of young players, maybe a few will hit and grow into larger long term roles. One thing you do have the luxury of when you're in this position, is to bring in young guys and give them the time, attention and snaps to grow that teams with solid starters can't.

We really are building from scratch at a lot of positions, and that is much better than being married with long term deals to guys that are failing.

36 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree with both of your last posts.

I also think that Poles is looking for upside in second tier FA players, almost like a small time free agent draft. I dont expect him to hit on all of them, but if they are good at this, and bring in a lot of young players, maybe a few will hit and grow into larger long term roles. One thing you do have the luxury of when you're in this position, is to bring in young guys and give them the time, attention and snaps to grow that teams with solid starters can't.

We really are building from scratch at a lot of positions, and that is much better than being married with long term deals to guys that are failing.

Yes, younger, ascending players. Wait and see, I think he ends up getting Ogunjobi here on a one year 6 mil deal giving him time for his foot to heal. He is a potential core player.

8 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Digging deep into the Twitterverse, saw this Tweet about Cruckishank.  The article suggested the Bears take a look.  Hey four years later ain’t bad.  

Good article. We see these names we never heard of and after you dig a little deeper, they could be very good players. Watch all 22 film study on Pringle, he was second in the league in separation last year, is highly rated on all advanced metrics. Could easily give us Mooney type  numbers he had this year. Very under rated player. Also watch film on St Brown, more than just a roster player. We draft one big WR (Watson, Pickens, Pierce) and a speed playmaker ( Skyy Moore, Clyde Austin, Khalil Shakir) , then our WR room will be crazy talented.

36 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Just watched a video on Criukshank on YouTube video No Flags Flim.He does a video on Dane breaking down the film. I'm on my tablet so not sure how in give a link but good stuff. He will be our NB or hybrid LB, taking out TEs.

My last draft had this type of player in Weatherford S from Miami.  

I would see what other Tennessee Titan FA are out there as Eberflus must have a lot of input and admiration of them.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Good article. We see these names we never heard of and after you dig a little deeper, they could be very good players. Watch all 22 film study on Pringle, he was second in the league in separation last year, is highly rated on all advanced metrics. Could easily give us Mooney type  numbers he had this year. Very under rated player. Also watch film on St Brown, more than just a roster player. We draft one big WR (Watson, Pickens, Pierce) and a speed playmaker ( Skyy Moore, Clyde Austin, Khalil Shakir) , then our WR room will be crazy talented.

Agreed.  If you use Poles’ successful construction of the Chiefs’ oline from last year as a small sample, it seems he’s using that technique and picking bargain players to fill in gaps of need rather than splashy players that cost a lot. 

I recently discussed with someone how he (the other guy) was disappointed in the Bears not getting Ogunjobi and the FA was a fail for us.  I said if you look at stats from last year and compare Ogunjobi with Muhammad, I don’t think it’s as bad as you’d think.  Ogunjobi had 49 tackles and 7 sacks where Muhammad had 48/6.  Ogunjobi would’ve cost 3 yrs at $40.5 million ($13.5 each year) whereas Muhammad cost 2 hrs at $10 million ($5 million each year). And he played in Eberflus’ system.  Add in the pickup of Justin Jones (37 tackles 3 sacks) who cost 2 years at $12 million and I think Poles did just fine.  

Different positions with AQM at DE and Ogun would have been our 3-tech.     That interior position remains Poles biggest attempt in FA so far.  Justin Jones was signed afterward but he's really just a backup rotational player.    He's had good talent around him even in college and never really stood out.   DT will have more bodies added soon but if Poles is serious about adding a good 3-tech pass rusher it will have to come via the draft.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-jones/32004a4f-4e51-8335-7d6a-e6b7ff2e09ec 

Jones is like  Blackson was last year, can make some plays but doesn't standout. Dependable rotational vet. I definitely think we draft one because of importance of the position in Flus defense. I think Karmara and Edwards sees some time at the 3T. If we can get Logan Hall at 71. He can play both DT and DE. Really to get a impact player at  3T , we will have to use pick 39. I would love to see Poles's draft board. After hearing Poles talk at the winter meetings suggests Ogunjobi could still be coming. He hasn't signed anywhere else yet. 

I also seen where Ledarius Mack was practicing pass coverages. There going to try him out at SAM LB spot. He's got 4.66 speed and fact he's still on the roster says something. At Buffalo he played some  off LB. At the least we have a cheap depth player.

Dane looks like he's a really solid nickle/dime safety with some upside to be THE guy. Looks like Eberflus has used a lot of 3 safety sets in the back. Having a guy out there just to shut down the opposing TE is pretty important  and allows the linebackers and other safeties  to play more freely. 

As far as 3T goes, I think Edward's s their best option there right now and I definitely  think they should look to the draft for an upgrade. 

7 hours ago, scs787 said:

Dane looks like he's a really solid nickle/dime safety with some upside to be THE guy. Looks like Eberflus has used a lot of 3 safety sets in the back. Having a guy out there just to shut down the opposing TE is pretty important  and allows the linebackers and other safeties  to play more freely. 

As far as 3T goes, I think Edward's s their best option there right now and I definitely  think they should look to the draft for an upgrade. 

If he wanted a place where he could likely start or at least get significant playing time for a year and then move on to a bigger better contract he found it.  

21 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

If he wanted a place where he could likely start or at least get significant playing time for a year and then move on to a bigger better contract he found it.  

Good point.  That should be the theme of most of the players we sign.  "Want a change of scenery or a fresh start, come to Chicago"

Heard Olin talk on a podcast this morning , he said he has gotten the impression from the front office that they like Borom on the Left side and Jenkins on the right. So I think they draft a OT that can play either side and concentrate on the RG spot early in the draft.

52 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Heard Olin talk on a podcast this morning , he said he has gotten the impression from the front office that they like Borom on the Left side and Jenkins on the right. So I think they draft a OT that can play either side and concentrate on the RG spot early in the draft.

That's interesting.  I'm 50/50 on any news from Olin.  I've stated many times that Jenkins is a RT/G.  I still hope Jenkins is a complete stud, but folks are talkin...

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's interesting.  I'm 50/50 on any news from Olin.  I've stated many times that Jenkins is a RT/G.  I still hope Jenkins is a complete stud, but folks are talkin...

Another podcast I heard explained the Jenkins situation. His last year in college, he was the LT, but the other OT got hurt and  the replacement player was more comfortable on the Left side, so he moved to right. The best rookie LT last year was Matt Slater from SD. He only had 3 more games playing LT than Jenkins did. So that talk that Jenkins didn't play on the left side is bullshit. He's a good player or he's not.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I'd assume/hope he is simply saying that that is where they like them in general, not that they like them to be starters. 

I'm still a really big fan of Jenkins and think he's gonna be a stud. His length and overall athleticism may be the only thing that limits him to the right side. 

I'd still very much like Duane Brown. 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

I'd assume/hope he is simply saying that that is where they like them in general, not that they like them to be starters. 

I'm still a really big fan of Jenkins and think he's gonna be a stud. His length and overall athleticism may be the only thing that limits him to the right side. 

I'd still very much like Duane Brown. 

I think it's Jenkins athleticism that makes up for his lack of length (short arms).  His hand quickness is good enough that if he gets beat initially he can counter and get their hands off him and get his back where they need to be.  These days I'm not so sure about the old ways of LT/RT.  Best pass rushers used to be coming at QB's blind side yet Von Miller has made a fortune, and a Superbowl MVP, getting past  RTs.  Maybe it depends how a team wants to run its offense, and maybe how the well the individual player does on either side.  IMO if you have at least one OT good enough to leave on an island you're in a good place because the OC, QB, and the rest of the Oline should be able to figure out the rest especially if the interior is solid.  

Patrick wasn't his first choice at OC but being in the scheme for the last  few yrs, he can help Fields get set up right and has an attitude, like Jenkins, to bring a different culture to the oline. I suspect he wanted Bates for his attitude plus his upside at RG. We are out of the running to draft Zion Johnson or Greene but Tyler Smith is in reach of our pick. Those all carry the physically and nasty attitude that Poles want. If I remember, didn't they say Whitehair had a nastiness to him when he came out? If we could have 5 starters that just beat people up every snap, wouldn't that be refreshing compared to the  lack of accountability Nagy carried in the locker room.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

So that talk that Jenkins didn't play on the left side is bullshit. He's a good player or he's not.

Experience and physical traits matter and not just a little.  He's proven to be a good player, in college, on the right side.  We didn't trade up for to be a project.  Remember, we were the only scouting dept in the entire NFL to have him rated as an LT.

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

These days I'm not so sure about the old ways of LT/RT.  Best pass rushers used to be coming at QB's blind side yet Von Miller has made a fortune, and a Superbowl MVP, getting past  RTs.

This why I'm hoping for him to be a stud.  The length is primarily for speed rushers, like Quinn, who uses his quickness, length and hip dip to get around the back.  Sometimes those extra inches are the difference in whether your opponent gets his hands on you or not.  Unless you are Tua, the LT matters for the QB.  Blindside hits are a turnover or injury waiting to happen.

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I think it's Jenkins athleticism that makes up for his lack of length (short arms).  His hand quickness is good enough that if he gets beat initially he can counter and get their hands off him and get his back where they need to be.  These days I'm not so sure about the old ways of LT/RT.  Best pass rushers used to be coming at QB's blind side yet Von Miller has made a fortune, and a Superbowl MVP, getting past  RTs.  Maybe it depends how a team wants to run its offense, and maybe how the well the individual player does on either side.  IMO if you have at least one OT good enough to leave on an island you're in a good place because the OC, QB, and the rest of the Oline should be able to figure out the rest especially if the interior is solid.  

Like Mongo said, the blindside factor still matters more in terms of LT/RT. Pressure coming from the right side is "Easier" to evade. 

It would however certainly be nice if Jenkins can indeed be left alone on an island which would help the rest of the line. 

Agreed.   When everyone gets back to work Monday we'll be just 3 weeks out from the draft.  Agents know teams are going to be focused on the draft prep from now on so I imagine they were hanging out around owners meeting hoping to get some traction on their remaining FAs.  And the agents will be able to come back to their clients and tell them they were shopped around and they'll have to understand this $$ is your value and nobody is willing to pay you $$$$ anymore. 

I expect Poles will close some deals quickly to fill out the rest of the roster.