Free agency begins

Stinger226

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Gulp…now I see why the Bears passed on Armstead…if they were ever in the discussion.

These massive contracts for oft-injured guys never work out. They will be regretting this contract in a year or two. At best, Miami is the 9th or 10th best team in the AFC (KC, CIN, DEN, SD, LVR, BUF, NE, BAL, TEN, IND). This move doesn't make much sense for them imo.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, adam said:

These massive contracts for oft-injured guys never work out. They will be regretting this contract in a year or two. At best, Miami is the 9th or 10th best team in the AFC (KC, CIN, DEN, SD, LVR, BUF, NE, BAL, TEN, IND). This move doesn't make much sense for them imo.

The crazy part is, experts were projecting him to get 22 mil per year.  15 mil per year will be a bargain if he plays 80% of the games.  It's highly unlikely though.

48 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Depth loss but perhaps clears room for a well travelled Honey Badger?  

Of the two backup S DHC was the right one to keep.  Bush played better last year but he was still often to slow to react.  Of course Eddie Jackson was making everyone look better.   

Yes GB go get him.  He has a $22mil cap hit this year even though they only have $20mil in cap space right now.  If you make any trade you'll likely want to extend his contract which will be a deal similar to what Adams just received which came in around $28mil/yr.  

The Miami Dolphins just traded for Hill. Totally INSANE!

Terms of the new trade to the Dolphins

Rapoport and Pelissero reported Hill's new extension is for four years and is worth $120 million with $72.2 million guaranteed.

Multiple teams (including the Packers and Jets) engaged Kansas City in discussions regarding Hill, per Rapoport and Pelissero, and the resulting trade met expectations of a massive haul for the six-time Pro Bowler and three-time first-team All-Pro. Included among the compensation for Hill is the No. 29 overall selection in this year's draft, in addition to a second- and fourth-rounder in 2022 and a fourth- and sixth-rounder in 2023, per Rapoport.

I hope Poles is smart enough to avoid these type of trades. Sure, Hill is a special talent, but this is insane!

1 minute ago, Pixote said:

The Miami Dolphins just traded for Hill. Totally INSANE!

Terms of the new trade to the Dolphins

I hope Poles is smart enough to avoid these type of trades. Sure, Hill is a special talent, but this is insane!

Completely agree.  You only make a trade like that if you are in great depth and cap space.  After that, you must be in the Superbowl window.

Tyreek Hill is going to love living in Miami.  Maybe a little too much.  I'm really surprised the Chiefs would do this.  They are in a very clear Superbowl window and while the compensation is nice, Tyreek Hill was that rare talent that really opened up defenses.  They have added other speed receivers but that's not the same as his quickness in/out of cuts.  From a compensation viewpoint they did great.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft Skyy Moore to replace him.  

Overall, I'm liking Poles' discipline. The free agents are all fillers, he's not taking anyone long term.

I still think that if he was a more seasoned GM, he would have known about Ogunjobi's injury status, maybe thru contacts, maybe because the agent respected / feared him more.

But I know there will be some growing pains with any new first time GM, and overall, while our team isnt going to be that good this year, I am on board with what he's doing.

Patience and building thru the draft are exactly what we need after this endless cycle of new GMs trying to add a few pieces to a core that really doesnt exist, and getting us trapped in cap and draft hell while huge holes still exist on the roster (like the offensive line!)

1 hour ago, GakMan23 said:

Bears sign Dakota Dozier Offensive Guard from the Vikings

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/roster-move-bears-sign-ol-dakota-dozier-1-year-deal

This feels like Bars replacement...at best.   Perhaps his skills fit our scheme better than the Vikings so he has a chance at being a backup.   There's going to be a whole bunch of the "who dat?" signings.  

I'm beyond shocked that they didn't sign a major WR. MVS is rumored to be visiting the Chiefs, and he's the last guy with starting capability out there. Furthermore, the Packers and Chiefs just traded their star WRs and have 2 late 1sts in the 20s. There may be nobody left worth picking at 39 as a WR. Fields has little help on the OL and at WR right now. How can anyone expect him to do well? 

3 minutes ago, McGowan said:

I'm beyond shocked that they didn't sign a major WR. MVS is rumored to be visiting the Chiefs, and he's the last guy with starting capability out there. Furthermore, the Packers and Chiefs just traded their star WRs and have 2 late 1sts in the 20s. There may be nobody left worth picking at 39 as a WR. Fields has little help on the OL and at WR right now. How can anyone expect him to do well? 

He's expected to learn and grow this year.  With a stronger OL and solid running game Fields should make what he has better.  The draft will yield us talent for the future.  Please don't think we are going to be good this year.  Poles is is truly going to use the three year plan.  Rebuild, excite then dominate!

2 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

He's expected to learn and grow this year.  With a stronger OL and solid running game Fields should make what he has better.  The draft will yield us talent for the future.  Please don't think we are going to be good this year.  Poles is is truly going to use the three year plan.  Rebuild, excite then dominate!

I don't think they're going to be good, but I did think that they'd spend most of their available cap on offense to try to support Fields. That hasn't happened, and their one major signing was on defense, before Ogunjobi failed his physical. 

That makes no sense. If they get MVS and Fisher I'd feel a lot better. 

9 minutes ago, McGowan said:

I don't think they're going to be good, but I did think that they'd spend most of their available cap on offense to try to support Fields. That hasn't happened, and their one major signing was on defense, before Ogunjobi failed his physical. 

They have 50 players on the current roster. They have to have 90 at training camp. With 6 draft picks and probably 10 to 15 undrafted players, they will still need to sign 20 free agents. We are only a week in. Let this play out. 

Peace

I don't think over paying for a WR is a good idea. I think Pringle has a better year than juju does in KC. juju has an injury issue, so his contract was cheap enough but KC has Mahomes. Not a hard choice. St Brown is just a WR body , so a minimum contract was fine for him. We will be  getting 2 WRs out of  the draft, hopefully one turns out to be a #1.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

1 hour ago, McGowan said:

I would throw up if the Bears sign MVS.  This guy couldn't find success with ARodgers throwing to him.  If he is still a free agent now, it is not because he is demanding to much money. It is because he is not very good. 

I would put a feeler out on WR Will Fuller. He would be a great fit for Fields.  He will cost at least 10-12 million, but is capable of putting up monster numbers and would be paid much more if he could stay healthy.

7 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I would throw up if the Bears sign MVS.  This guy couldn't find success with ARodgers throwing to him.  If he is still a free agent now, it is not because he is demanding to much money. It is because he is not very good. 

I would put a feeler out on WR Will Fuller. He would be a great fit for Fields.  He will cost at least 10-12 million, but is capable of putting up monster numbers and would be paid much more if he could stay healthy.

I forgot Fuller was still out there. Good call, he's better than MVS. 

2 hours ago, McGowan said:

There are too many good WRs even deeper into the draft.  If there is a big run late in the 1st Rd that just means we're more likely to get a stud defensive player or even Oline drop to us.  We have too many holes to be thinking it's all going to get better this year.  We don't need a QB and we don't need a RB so just get the best players.

3 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

There are too many good WRs even deeper into the draft.  If there is a big run late in the 1st Rd that just means we're more likely to get a stud defensive player or even Oline drop to us.  We have too many holes to be thinking it's all going to get better this year.  We don't need a QB and we don't need a RB so just get the best players.

Yeah, but they can't expect Fields to improve with the crap they have around him right now. 

With KC and GB trading top WRs, that means 2 more Wr. will be drafted  ahead of us. Great Blue North Draft report has 6 rated ahead of our pick. The new two are Pickens and Watson . I figure they get drafted ahead of us. So the next  WRs rated in order

63 Tyquan Thornton

64 Alec Pierce

76 John Metchie 

95 Justyn Ross. 

98 Skyy Moore

If none of the first group drop , we probably should wait until 48 and take Pierce or Justyn Ross if available. Ideally Pickens or Watson drop but as far as value , should wait until 71 and take a Skyy Moore or David Bell.  At what spot and who?

I would draft Pierce at 48 and Jalen Tolbert at 71. 

At 39 get a Tyler Smith ,  Nicholas Perit- Frere or Zion Johnson if they drop.

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I totally agree. and having the patience to do that will bring better results than trying to load up now on overpriced free agents.