Bears Sign Bengals DT Larry Ogunjobi (40M over 3 years)

DABEARSDABOMB

3 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

Two words - Pernell McPhee. Pace signed him with a known issue and it bit us in the ass. I have no issues with Poles backing away from the signing. Use the money on a LT or a WR. 

Peace

Agree. Pace would have just said, “I trust my gut that it’ll work out.” Poles is not that guy, and I like it. The era of buying a cracked bucket and hoping it holds water is over.

48 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yup. Considering he said he’d slow roll it into the later days of FA (for which he mainly has) this signing was the big “splash” at the beginning. However, I am not yet deterred by Poles.  Ill chalk it up to beginners un-luck.  Fool me once and all that. 

And also learning on the job, like when Hanley forgot to check the box on the form about a linebacker. Its an error, but you learn from it, and grow into the job.

As for congratulating Poles for not signing the guy anyway and hoping it would work out, i agree. That was a good move, but maybe he should have known this outcome was possible and factored that into his decision in the first place.

All in all, this WAS a mistake by Poles. And it cost us another big signing, a player who went to another team that we could have afforded.

That he didnt compound the error by making a second error in signing him doesnt mean the initial error didnt happen.

I am sure the injury issue came up during talks with the agent.  The Bears were likely told he'd be ready to get on the field by xx date.  After our med eval that wasn't the case and maybe this was going to drag out closer to training camp.  Whatever the details, I'm glad Poles has the courage to back out of the deal rather than trying to save face and bring him and have our medical staff try to get him healthy.   Baushad Breeland had an issue like this years ago and he ended up losing his big contract and then waited to sign until late in the year.    

46 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

All in all, this WAS a mistake by Poles. And it cost us another big signing, a player who went to another team that we could have afforded.

Not sure I agree that it was a mistake.  You watch a guys film and see that he's good, then other guys tell you whether he's a good dude or not.  Then the agent says, "he's ready to roll at X date".  Poles says, "it's all contingent on his physical with our guys".  Agents lie, cheat and steal to get deals for their guys.  Poles did his job.  Did he miss on a player?  Yes. But, it didn't cost us a thing.  That's good work.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Not sure I agree that it was a mistake.  You watch a guys film and see that he's good, then other guys tell you whether he's a good dude or not.  Then the agent says, "he's ready to roll at X date".  Poles says, "it's all contingent on his physical with our guys".  Agents lie, cheat and steal to get deals for their guys.  Poles did his job.  Did he miss on a player?  Yes. But, it didn't cost us a thing.  That's good work.

I too don't see this as a mistake either, the mistake would have been to just go through with the signing and hoping it works out (ala Pace).   Poles, and probably the coaching staff obviously identified Ogunjobi as the exception to his plan to hold off till wave 2 and 3 of FA.  From what it sounds they weren't targeting any other first wave guys, so you can't really "miss out" on guys you weren't targeting anyway.  

I think sometimes we're too quick to assume our GM screwed up cause we're so used to our GM's making costly mistakes.  Sometimes even when they do or don't do something we think they should do.  This is his first offseason as a GM, first time GM, and I feel like him standing his ground on taking medical evaluations seriously and making the right call to not go forward with signing a guy and paying him 13.5 mil a year when there are real concerns about him being healthy enough to play.  Especially if you are signing a guy to be the anchor of your defensive front going forward. 

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Agree with you to some degree but on the level of mistakes, more like an “oppsie-daisy”.  The guy had foot surgery last season and I’m sure Poles knew that.  Was he eager (premature) in announcing the signing?  Was he compelled to do so?  A few days before true free agency started?  Maybe? 🤷🏻‍♂️.  You can bet he’ll be more cautious with players and their injury histories going forward. 

Then there’s this… 

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

A lot of people are pushing for Armsted but the problem with him is , he averaged 10 games played in the last 3 seasons. We have to stay away from  pre injured players.

I don't think we are signing Armstead, but guys like Turner, Collins, Flowers, or Price are probably more likely.

18 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

And also learning on the job, like when Hanley forgot to check the box on the form about a linebacker. Its an error, but you learn from it, and grow into the job.

As for congratulating Poles for not signing the guy anyway and hoping it would work out, i agree. That was a good move, but maybe he should have known this outcome was possible and factored that into his decision in the first place.

That he didnt compound the error by making a second error in signing him doesnt mean the initial error didnt happen.

That is why they do the physical. Unless they do physicals before they offer a contract, there is no way around this. 

Who specifically did Poles miss out on in that the window that Ogunjobi was offered a contract and the time of the physical? 

Anyone heard of Ryan Bates? We took a visit from him. He started at LG for the Bills the last 5 games of the season. He played all positions for Buffalo as a backup.He can play both OG positions and RT. He shows up on the Bills website depth chart as the starter at LG. 

I also think Poles may be interested in Eric Fisher. He hasn't signed with anyone yet and although he didn't have a good year last year, he was a premium starter acres yrs ago. 

Anyone interested in Nate Solder? 

20 minutes ago, adam said:

That is why they do the physical. Unless they do physicals before they offer a contract, there is no way around this. 

Who specifically did Poles miss out on in that the window that Ogunjobi was offered a contract and the time of the physical? 

There is only limited information you can get on his surgery, most comes from the agent. I don't fault him one bit. Until you get  a physical by your doctors, you kinda stuck trusting what the agent tells you. Not a good look but it comes with the job. He did the right thing instead of letting his ego get in the way, and canceled the deal. 

I have to believe these guys ‘not passing physicals’ is by the slightest of margins. For one it doesn’t seem to happen very often.  And the other, I recall Morrow being out late last year for a season ending ankle injury (for which he had surgery).  The other day during his presser he was asked about it and said that had the Raiders made it (later) into the playoffs he’d have been cleared to play. Ogunjobi’s injury actually occurred while they were playing the Raiders to continue into the playoffs.  So a few weeks (at worst) separated their injuries.  Of course you figure in severity and type; high ankle sprain(Morrow) and undisclosed foot injury (Ogunjobi) could also factor in.  

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

A lot of people are pushing for Armsted but the problem with him is , he averaged 10 games played in the last 3 seasons. We have to stay away from  pre injured players.

Totally agree.  It is said that his projected salary will be 23 mil.  That is too much for a team trying to build.