Bears sign Semien to 2 YR Deal

DABEARSDABOMB

There has to be a deal on the table for Foles .  He is a good mentor for a team intending to draft a QB.   I would not be surprised if we eat some of the contract money in order to get a better draft pick.  I haven’t kept up with the QB needy teams so I have no idea who that might be.  

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

You think this would have happened sooner before Foles got a roster bonus of 5 mil a few days ago.

I believe it was 4 mil and I've heard it makes it easier to trade him. What team is going to want to pay out that bonus?

Peace

It's a 2 yr deal for $4M, so probably around $1.5 - $2M cap hit his year. If Foles is cut, the Bears would save $3M on the cap, so they gain $1-1.5M in cap space this year with a new backup QB.

If they trade Foles,  I think they will only save $4M ($1M more) since they just paid him a $4M roster bonus. So that plus his prorated bonus ($2.66M) would be against the cap ($6.66M) leaving $4M in savings.

Right now for a team looking for a vet, he would be extremely cheap at $4M with only one year left on his deal.

I would not be surprised if the Bears held onto him until they at least got a 6th for him.

2 hours ago, Connorbear said:

I believe it was 4 mil and I've heard it makes it easier to trade him. What team is going to want to pay out that bonus?

Peace

This - I think this means whomever gets him gets him at a more reasonable cost. I do like the Semien back-up although I have no problem with Fields having a true grizzly vet to work with as well (although Semien has been around for a while now and is a pretty solid back-up).  

Right. Foles will be cheaper, which increases his value in draft picks. I think it's great if Poles can convert this years cap dollars into draft picks - kind of like how the Cubs signed free agents, and then traded them for draft picks a few years back before winning the World Series. Its a good strategy.

7 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Bottom line: If they can trade him - great. If not, simply cut him. It's time to move on. 

Peace

yes, although if they do that, then the roster bonus he just got paid was wasted money?

Poles is betting $4 Million that Foles is worth something in draft picks that makes that $4M worthwhile. If Poles ends up cutting him outright, that's a $4M bet he made and lost. So we can see how Poles did. I expect he will be able to trade him so Poles will win the bet. But it'll be out there for us all to see, so we'll know if Poles is a good gambler or not.