Trade Quinn?

AZ54

This is pure speculation but the logic behind this deal makes sense from the Chiefs perspective if they have their sites set on a Superbowl in 2022.  

Proposal:  Chiefs get Quinn.    Bears get pick 96.  (not good enough IMO)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2955188-5-trades-nfl-teams-should-try-to-execute-before-the-2022-draft

I see the Chiefs with 12 picks (albeit 4 in Rd 7).   While the draft is a good one for edge rushers those who are ready to contribute as a rookie will be gone well before the end of Rd 1.   Poles has a good idea of their urgency in finding a pass rusher, and that has only increased while watching the offseason trades in their division. 

To get one of the top 4 edge rushers KC has to be in the top 15 picks.  To get there KC has to package at least one of their 1st Rd picks with a 2nd Rd pick or more.  To get into the top 10 they have to give up both 1st Rd picks.  Regardless, no matter where you are in the draft you can't find anyone as ready to contribute against the run and pass as much as Quinn in 2022.

The Chiefs have some $18mil in cap room now but that will get eaten up by the large rookie pool, or they reduce the draft picks.  They are also stuck with Frank Clark's contract.  They'd need the Bears to take some of the cost of Quinn's deal but doing so just increases his draft pick value.  If I were Poles I'd be asking pretty firm for pick 30.  That's 620pts which could be a bit much but if KC won't take that, then to get one of the top 4 edge rushers it will cost them both 1st Rd picks and at least 1000pts.   Even to get Ojabo they will likely have to move up to somewhere around 20 at a cost of 850pts.   That's equivalent to a 1st and 2nd Rd pick. 

If Poles can't get the 1st Rd pick move back to 50 and 94 at 524pts and a floor of 50/121 in the 4th Rd at a cost of 452pts.  

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=kc

Draft day brings a different sense of urgency.  It'll be interesting to see if any team has interest in Quinn.   

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

This is pure speculation but the logic behind this deal makes sense from the Chiefs perspective if they have their sites set on a Superbowl in 2022.  

Proposal:  Chiefs get Quinn.    Bears get pick 96.  (not good enough IMO)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2955188-5-trades-nfl-teams-should-try-to-execute-before-the-2022-draft

I see the Chiefs with 12 picks (albeit 4 in Rd 7).   While the draft is a good one for edge rushers those who are ready to contribute as a rookie will be gone well before the end of Rd 1.   Poles has a good idea of their urgency in finding a pass rusher, and that has only increased while watching the offseason trades in their division. 

To get one of the top 4 edge rushers KC has to be in the top 15 picks.  To get there KC has to package at least one of their 1st Rd picks with a 2nd Rd pick or more.  To get into the top 10 they have to give up both 1st Rd picks.  Regardless, no matter where you are in the draft you can't find anyone as ready to contribute against the run and pass as much as Quinn in 2022.

The Chiefs have some $18mil in cap room now but that will get eaten up by the large rookie pool, or they reduce the draft picks.  They are also stuck with Frank Clark's contract.  They'd need the Bears to take some of the cost of Quinn's deal but doing so just increases his draft pick value.  If I were Poles I'd be asking pretty firm for pick 30.  That's 620pts which could be a bit much but if KC won't take that, then to get one of the top 4 edge rushers it will cost them both 1st Rd picks and at least 1000pts.   Even to get Ojabo they will likely have to move up to somewhere around 20 at a cost of 850pts.   That's equivalent to a 1st and 2nd Rd pick. 

If Poles can't get the 1st Rd pick move back to 50 and 94 at 524pts and a floor of 50/121 in the 4th Rd at a cost of 452pts.  

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=kc

Draft day brings a different sense of urgency.  It'll be interesting to see if any team has interest in Quinn.   

All of that makes sense but the key will be can they absorb Quinn's contract (53 mil over the next 3 yrs)  They are stuck with a Frank Clark ( big contract) not producing. Do they really want 2 of those on the books? 10 sacks in the last 2 yrs.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

All of that makes sense but the key will be can they absorb Quinn's contract (53 mil over the next 3 yrs)  They are stuck with a Frank Clark ( big contract) not producing. Do they really want 2 of those on the books? 10 sacks in the last 2 yrs.

Like I said it all depends on how badly they want to win this year or next.  That division is so tough now it’s not unrealistic for them to miss the playoffs depending on injuries.   Kelsey is 33 how many more seasons will he play?   Do they follow the Rams all-in approach or draft and hope for the best near term and focus more on the long term?  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Like I said it all depends on how badly they want to win this year or next.  That division is so tough now it’s not unrealistic for them to miss the playoffs depending on injuries.   Kelsey is 33 how many more seasons will he play?   Do they follow the Rams all-in approach or draft and hope for the best near term and focus more on the long term?  

You actually may be on to something. I was looking at  KC websites and one of their needs listed are Edge rusher. They have to replace Hill, Kelce is 33. They lost everyone in free agency but Frank Clark. Need to replace two spots on DL. They have 8 picks in the first 4 rounds. Of course they draft one but if they need to load up for a shot this year, they may try to trade for one. They could give a 3 and 4 and still have 6 picks. They have to replace Matheu , they me think A better pass rush will compensate for his lost. The Poles connection. We have Gipson and Q M. They go for it and we start fresh. Also Ogunjobi has not signed, they could still bring him back at 3T which is more important to the D anyways. This is very possible.

23 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

They only got a 2 and 6 next year for Mack. Quinn had a great yr but will not get more draft capital than Mack brought. I would  say maybe a 3rd and 4th .

I think if the Bears are willing to eat some of his salary this year, they could get a better deal. They are rebuilding so why not. I would be good with a 3rd and a 4th or just a 2nd. 

Peace

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

They only got a 2 and 6 next year for Mack. Quinn had a great yr but will not get more draft capital than Mack brought. I would  say maybe a 3rd and 4th .

They can absolutely get more than Mack.  Quinn may not be quite as good as Mack, but he's more productive in his niche.  The big plus with Quinn is that his contract is palatable compared to Macks'.  The Chargers pay 8.7M to Mack this year, but it hits 27M, 27M the following two years.  Put Quinn with Chris Jones and you have something really good.

10 hours ago, Connorbear said:

I think if the Bears are willing to eat some of his salary this year, they could get a better deal. They are rebuilding so why not. I would be good with a 3rd and a 4th or just a 2nd. 

Peace

I am all for it.  With or without Quinn, the Bears roster is not going to be very good.  Looking at the division, as of now, the Bears have the worst roster IMO.  It is a huge pill to swallow, but they should take it and put themselves in position to be a high pick with better QBs projected making those picks worth alot more. 

• 2 weeks later...

The fat lady hasn't sung yet.  It appears Poles has let people know he's available for the right price or by now we wouldn't be seeing rumors like this.  He's quietly standing firm on his asking price or at least he's not acting desperate enough to take anything.  Of course we don't know how serious teams are with this.  Some might still be hoping to get a great deal from a young GM desperate for more draft picks.  OTOH if there are several teams inquiring he might be getting a little bit of a sellers market.  It's enough to keep me tuned in to the first night of the draft, which I'd be watching anyway.  

A lotta talk about trading Monty and Quinn on Twitter. My take is they are remaking the roster but calling it a rebuild means they don't think they can win. I think they don't view it that way. Mack has not been Mack for the last few years, so losing him is not as big a deal as it sounds. For not signing ARob, Pringle had more production than ARob did last year. If you want the existing players to buy into what their selling, you can't get rid of good players. Monty is a team leader and hard worker. People think a 3rd pick is more valuable than David playing this year. Offer him a team friendly contract after this year, you don't have to pay him big money. Quinn allows them to have Gipson and QMo to ascend without destroying the team. The Def is not going to be top 5 but I don't see them lower than top 15. The Flus concept is 7 to the ball and push TOs. That will bare  better results than last year. The key to the season is getting the offense up to top 20 that will make us around a 500 team. If Fields takes a jump, a winning record.

Smoke building?  This appears to be based on nothing more than Rapoport's update but usually if the league takes the next step and decides to put something on their front page news there is legitimate substance behind it.  I'm starting to think there are a couple teams seriously interested.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/robert-quinn-wants-to-stay-with-bears-but-knows-this-is-a-crazy-business

Quinn is a huge commodity as far as trade bait is concerned, Monty not so much.  Quinn gets to the QB, which makes everyone else's job easier on defense.  Monty is a good RB, but there's nothing special about him that changes games.  If you project Monty's worth to when this team will be viable again, it's better to get younger legs if you can fetch a good draft pick for him.

Digging around looking for nuggets of info... If edge rusher is a trade up target then they likely want one of the top 3.  That likely requires a top 10 pick and the 10th pick requires 1300pts, or a little more than both of their 1st Rd picks.  I can't see them moving up to top half of the 1st Rd for a WR when the depth into late 1st/early 2nd is so good and the top end talent isn't that elite to begin with.   One of the top 3 CB also might be worth a trade up but might only need to be top 15.    Pick 15 requires 1050pts or KC 29 and 50 picks.   

FWIW I scanned EDGE draft needs for teams drafting after 20th and the list includes:  Patriots, Packers, Cardinals, Cowboys, and Chiefs.   Toss in the 49ers who do not have a 1st Rd pick, and the Rams who do not have a 1st or 2nd (we'll exclude them right there).   Packers and Chiefs make the most sense both in terms of Superbowl ready and quantity of draft picks.  I can't see us making a deal with GB but if it's too good to refuse would you?  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/26/2022-nfl-draft-rumors-neal-dean-williams

As has been expected, with 12 picks and two first-rounders in the chamber, the Chiefs have started to call teams through the 20s about trading up. It might be for a receiver. But I wouldn’t rule out an aggressive move for a corner or pass rusher either. And it’s possible Kansas City will jump from Nos. 29 or 30 up, 10 spots or so, then leap again.

What seems certain is that GM Brett Veach won’t stay static. And part of that, for sure, is that the Chiefs probably don’t have room on their roster for 12 rookies to make the team.

44 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't think it's a good idea to trade Quinn or Monty. Now if teams are throwing 2 nds round picks, that's a different story. I think if you only get a 3 for Quinn and only a 4th for Monty, it's not worth it. If you get 2s, your adding starters on the cheap. 

I think you are right; I would do a 3rd for Monty (in a heartbeat) - but probably not for a 4th (although I like Herbert - I think Monty is a good lockeroom player and a solid back who helps Fields).  On Quinn - I think a 3rd isn't enough juice for me to move down; now a 3rd and a future 3rd and I probably jump or a 3rd and 4th and maybe a future pick and again I might. A 2nd and I'm good with Quinn moving elsewhere.  

This is a deep draft - but if there was ever a draft not to have a FRP this is probably one of them. Reality is there are not that many guys with first round grades, but than a lot of guys with 2nd/3rd round type grades which mean having a bunch of 2nd round picks drives some increased value.  So top end weak - but depth strong...good draft to get a lot of picks and hopefully Poles finds ways to get there. 

Quinn going bye will take 3 picks coming to the Bears and 1 going to the aqcuiring  team to eat his salary. Kansas City should be on the phone and Quinn who doesn't want to leave, might change his mindset if he is going to a contending team. He being moved as well as David Montgomery that rumors are surfacing that he may also be a trade chip.

18 minutes ago, lemonej said:

Quinn going bye will take 3 picks coming to the Bears and 1 going to the aqcuiring  team to eat his salary. Kansas City should be on the phone and Quinn who doesn't want to leave, might change his mindset if he is going to a contending team. He being moved as well as David Montgomery that rumors are surfacing that he may also be a trade chip.

I'm good with all of it.  I'm tired of the Bears getting close and having the window slammed shut for one reason or another.  It's time to build that rock solid foundation from the ground up.  Whoever may be used up in three years is on the block.