Trade Quinn?

AZ54

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just wonder if there has been some noise behind the scenes and Quinn's agent has picked up on the news.   Just like the Bears all teams now have a good sense of their roster and gaps.   Adding someone before camp starts is ideal.   In the press conference Eberflus didn't seem too bothered by it.  

6 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Assuming this is actually his Twitter page.  Wouldn’t be too hard to read the tea leaves.  Or he just never changed it from when he was with the Rams.  Either way, doesn’t seem too invested in Chicago.  

BB64587E-81CB-4AAD-A9F7-152B7B969A67.jpeg

Hasn't tweeted since 2018, so who knows. Good find though.

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I just wonder if there has been some noise behind the scenes and Quinn's agent has picked up on the news.   Just like the Bears all teams now have a good sense of their roster and gaps.   Adding someone before camp starts is ideal.   In the press conference Eberflus didn't seem too bothered by it.  

There has to be a conversion going on for the coaches to say they aren't concerned at Quinn not being here.  Because of his age I can see him passing this camp , his skill set is not something you need to practice for as long as he is up on defensive scheme. He was in Dallas when Marinelli was there. Same scheme. I think everyone should be here, but doesn't happen that way. No big deal until he's not there at training camp.

I hope they can at least get a 4th for him.

Right now they would gain $12.9M on a trade as he has the highest cap hit on the team. They would eat $4.24 in Dead Cap. 

Here are teams with over $18M left in their 2022 cap: Browns, Panthers, Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers, Commanders. 

They would have more than enough to sign one of the top remaining OL, which would be a great swap of salary.

16 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think from his past comments - this really has everything to do with fact he doesn't want to be on a rebuilding team and nothing other than that.  I just want to get maximum value for him and hope he is happy where he goes next.  

Yeah, it's funny how more and more players are "not wanting to play for a rebuilding team". Every year half of the league is rebuilding lol.

Quinn stated just before the draft, he didn't want to be traded, so until he comes out and says different, I'm just going with, he's old and is just shorting his camp work, lazy. The Bears also said they want him here. Or he wants a bum in contract because of his18.5 sacks last year? We don't know until he talks.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:00 PM, scs787 said:

I wish player for player deals were more of a thing in the NFL. The rumor mill is a lot more fun in other sports. 

me too. the thing preventing it is that when you trade someone you have to take the remaining amount of the guaranteed money in the players contract and spend it against your cap that year. (hat tip to the June 1st thing where you spread it across two years. Still doesn't let you trade a player with multiple years left tho.

I feel like if both teams agree, you should be able to include any part or all of that cap liability in a trade, and the team receiving the player be allowed to continue to amortize that money against their cap (relieving the team trading the player of that amount) across the life of the original contract. And of course to renegotiate that into a new deal too, like a team can with their own player.

Alternatively, you could allow a team to trade a player, and continue to amortize their guaranteed money against their cap across the term of the existing deal.

Either one of those things would facilitate a lot more player to player trades.

The only downside I can see is that players wouldnt have leverage in staying at the teams they agreed to play for. Other than that, I dont see how it might muck things up, but I havent thought about it too deeply. Can anyone else suggest ways that doing either of these things would cause trouble? Consider that both teams would have to want a trade for it to happen, so they would be aware of the risks to themselves?

17 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

me too. the thing preventing it is that when you trade someone you have to take the remaining amount of the guaranteed money in the players contract and spend it against your cap that year. (hat tip to the June 1st thing where you spread it across two years. Still doesn't let you trade a player with multiple years left tho.

I feel like if both teams agree, you should be able to include any part or all of that cap liability in a trade, and the team receiving the player be allowed to continue to amortize that money against their cap (relieving the team trading the player of that amount) across the life of the original contract. And of course to renegotiate that into a new deal too, like a team can with their own player.

Alternatively, you could allow a team to trade a player, and continue to amortize their guaranteed money against their cap across the term of the existing deal.

Either one of those things would facilitate a lot more player to player trades.

The only downside I can see is that players wouldnt have leverage in staying at the teams they agreed to play for. Other than that, I dont see how it might muck things up, but I havent thought about it too deeply. Can anyone else suggest ways that doing either of these things would cause trouble? Consider that both teams would have to want a trade for it to happen, so they would be aware of the risks to themselves?

I would go as far as saying if I were the Bears and I had cap space - I should be able to eat more cap and basically enable a contender to get Quinn for near free for them (because Bears pay) and thus Bears can get higher pick in that scenario.  But I know that can complicate things - the good thing is at this point - Quinn is even more cap friendly to whomever acquires him (than he would have been pre June 1st).  The problem is - I think in this lull, the Bears leverage is lower as I don't usually think teams make big trades in this window - but that opportunity might increase when camps start (especially if someone gets hurt).  

So what is his worth if we eat say 50% of the money? 3th or 4th? No way anyone is giving you more if they know you want to get rid of him. Logically he has more value on our team if you have to eat money.  You get offered a 4th and 6 th next year  and then pay half his salary? Why would they do that? Because an old dude didn't want to come to minicamp you dump him? That's something Pace would do, I don't think Poles is that dumb.

well if there is more than one team interested, then it doesnt matter that they know we want to get rid of him. They will bid against each other up to his true value.

And if there is no trade, Quinn will play for us. And that's what i expect will happen.

There has been speculation since Poles began shaking things up about a possible trade of Quinn. 

The best I remember reading said for us to get max value for a trade of Quinn to look at what Denver did last November, during the season, before the trade deadline. The got good value waiting for a team needing a pass rusher to help them out on defense.

The Denver Broncos are trading Von Miller to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for second- and third-round picks in the 2022 NFL Draft, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's James Palmer reported Monday. The Rams later confirmed the deal.

If Quinn has a good start for season I could see a team trading some good picks for Quinn mid-season. Of course, this would also depend on what the Bears are doing. If they are off to a good start they may not want to trade Quinn. 

On 6/17/2022 at 6:07 PM, Pixote said:

There has been speculation since Poles began shaking things up about a possible trade of Quinn. 

The best I remember reading said for us to get max value for a trade of Quinn to look at what Denver did last November, during the season, before the trade deadline. The got good value waiting for a team needing a pass rusher to help them out on defense.

If Quinn has a good start for season I could see a team trading some good picks for Quinn mid-season. Of course, this would also depend on what the Bears are doing. If they are off to a good start they may not want to trade Quinn. 

The 2 trade windows are before training camp or in season before the trading deadline. 

On 6/17/2022 at 6:07 PM, Pixote said:

The first game is crucial. SF possibly changing QBs and Deebo contract problems, we could upset them at home. If that happens, I can see us starting 3-1 and the confidence level sky high. That would mean defense is playing well and don't get rid of the Quinn if they have a playoff shot.

11 hours ago, adam said:

The 2 trade windows are before training camp or in season before the trading deadline. 

I would not be surprised at all if a handshake deal, or two, is already in place with a team that's close.  We may have to wait till the deadline to see it realized, due to it being contingent on the other team.

The only team that would be a playoff contender with some cap space is Las Vegas. There roster appears to have a need as they didnt resign a couple of pass rushers for free agents. The problem with the Raiders is this yr they pay Adams 8.5 mil, next  year Adams has a 30 mil cap hit. There cap money goes down to 8 mil. next yr, the problem would be if they trade for Quinn,  his next yrs cap hit is 17 mil, if they cut him its a 12.5 mil dead money hit. That blows their cap in 2023 out of the water. So even if we want to trade him, not that easy.

Then you’d think it would be a surprise contender like the Bengals were last year. There’s no way to predict that.  It could even be us with this weak schedule.  The defense would have to carry things especially early on and Quinn would be a big part of that.  Take him off the team and that slim chance becomes next to non-existent as there are no other consistent rush threats across the D front. I’m patient either way I just want to watch a team that enjoys playing football again.  

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The only team that would be a playoff contender with some cap space is Las Vegas. There roster appears to have a need as they didnt resign a couple of pass rushers for free agents. The problem with the Raiders is this yr they pay Adams 8.5 mil, next  year Adams has a 30 mil cap hit. There cap money goes down to 8 mil. next yr, the problem would be if they trade for Quinn,  his next yrs cap hit is 17 mil, if they cut him its a 12.5 mil dead money hit. That blows their cap in 2023 out of the water. So even if we want to trade him, not that easy.

I would throw the Cowboys and Steelers into the mix as well. Watt + Quinn would be a pretty formidable duo like Bosa + Mack. The Cowboys leading Edge Rusher was Gregory with 6 sacks last year. So those two would definitely be options. 

Article on NFL.com on 10 teams with holes to fill mentions Baltimore, Kansas City, and LA Rams as teams in need of an edge rusher. lemonej made a good case for Arizona needing help at the position. Adam mention Cowboys and Steelers. It seems like there are a lot of teams that might be interested in Quinn prior to the trading deadline. Would we trade him? If the Bears surprise everyone by starting off strong, I don't think they trade Quinn. If, however, they start off below .500, I think they would entertain a trade for the right compensation. The important factor in what we'd receive in return for Quinn would be his production at that point. He stays healthy, racks up 6-8 sacks early in the season, we might get a damn good trade. 

Here is the link to the article (which mentions Bears in need of WR). Article by Kevin Patra??? Never heard of the guy.

2022 NFL season: 10 biggest remaining roster holes heading into training camp