Compensation Projection 2023

ASHKUM BEAR

As of today, the Bears are not projected to be awarded any Compensation Picks.  I do not like how they rated these because I feel like we lost a ton more than gained.  Have to see what Hicks signs for and who else the Bears sign.  Robinsons contract could get us a 3rd as long as it is 15.5. 

Screenshot_20220413-203038_Samsung Internet.jpg

I hate the compensatory picks. Makes no sense to me. So a team loses a great player because the team got great collectively, and they can't pay all their great players, so the NFL rewards them by giving them more draft picks to increase that team's odds of filling the hole and remaining a great team? WTF is that?

Meanwhile, a team like the Bears that hovers around mediocrity never gets compensatory picks because they so rarely have a situation where they aren't trying to fill holes. Therefore, the good players they lose are negated by the obligatory FA spending in order to field a serviceable franchise.

52 minutes ago, jason said:

I hate the compensatory picks. Makes no sense to me. So a team loses a great player because the team got great collectively, and they can't pay all their great players, so the NFL rewards them by giving them more draft picks to increase that team's odds of filling the hole and remaining a great team? WTF is that?

Meanwhile, a team like the Bears that hovers around mediocrity never gets compensatory picks because they so rarely have a situation where they aren't trying to fill holes. Therefore, the good players they lose are negated by the obligatory FA spending in order to field a serviceable franchise.

Shows how bad/mediocre the Bears have been over the years.  They trade draft picks for premium players, they struggle to develop their own, and they cut players before their contract expires.  If they did these things well, they get rewarded with picks.  The Bears just need to hit reset completely like they did, suck for a year, and break that mediocre plague. 

3 hours ago, jason said:

I agree and don't understand the concept behind this comp pick.  

13 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Shows how bad/mediocre the Bears have been over the years.  They trade draft picks for premium players, they struggle to develop their own, and they cut players before their contract expires.  If they did these things well, they get rewarded with picks.  The Bears just need to hit reset completely like they did, suck for a year, and break that mediocre plague. 

That is exactly why I love what they are doing.  Year after year, the brass is convinced we are a player or two away.  So they reach for a pick, trade up for a pick, overpay for a free agent, overpay their own or trade picks for help.  It's dumb unless you are truly close. 

Harvard business model loves the hope model of running a team because it creates a buzz, thus selling out games and selling of merch.  The perfect family of leaches is the McCaskey family, as this is their sole income.  Now, they much bite the bullet for a year.  Back to Harvard: it's a great time to build a stadium and attract partners when your team rises from the ashes like a Phoenix.

Once the foundation is built, the comp pics will come when we big-time sellers instead of buyers.

16 hours ago, jason said:

You are spot on. If they wanted parity, they would not give out comp picks and reward teams for losing players. In some cases, teams with bad cap management actually get rewarded for losing a player they can't afford. 

6 hours ago, adam said:

You are spot on. If they wanted parity, they would not give out comp picks and reward teams for losing players. In some cases, teams with bad cap management actually get rewarded for losing a player they can't afford. 

It is good and bad.  I guarantee if the Bears were in line for picks every year like New England, no one would be upset with the process.  New England rarely has a pick in the top half of the draft, so they are like a factory that can develop players that are coveted in FA. Pls they don't need to buy players in FA because the next guy is there to step in. 

8 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It is good and bad.  I guarantee if the Bears were in line for picks every year like New England, no one would be upset with the process.  New England rarely has a pick in the top half of the draft, so they are like a factory that can develop players that are coveted in FA. Pls they don't need to buy players in FA because the next guy is there to step in. 

Oh I am sure we would be happier with the process if the Bears got more picks. However, in general, it doesn't necessarily help the lesser teams. Better teams are also more likely to trade for veterans who are on the last year of their contracts, then reap the benefits of that trade when that player signs elsewhere after the season. That is a very common theme.

To me, at most it should be only for players coming off their rookie contracts with their original teams.

2 hours ago, adam said:

To me, at most it should be only for players coming off their rookie contracts with their original teams.

I completely agree here.  A team should not be rewarded for signing a player on a one year deal when they move to another team the next year.  

The way the picks are awarded needs to be changed as other's have mentioned teams poorly managing cap get compensated for losing guys they can't afford to keep, or teams trading for a good player at the end of their contract getting rewarded when that player signs elsewhere.   Every year teams that don't need extra help are awarded comp picks in some cases because they worked the system.   While teams fighting to be competitive don't get anything, because they lack big name players that would award them comp pick when the player leaves.  

I like Adam's idea that it should only be for players coming off their rookie deals especially since they are compensatory "draft" picks rather than including FA and vet players.  The way it works now is teams can work the system to get extra picks.  

11 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

The way the picks are awarded needs to be changed as other's have mentioned teams poorly managing cap get compensated for losing guys they can't afford to keep, or teams trading for a good player at the end of their contract getting rewarded when that player signs elsewhere.   Every year teams that don't need extra help are awarded comp picks in some cases because they worked the system.   While teams fighting to be competitive don't get anything, because they lack big name players that would award them comp pick when the player leaves.  

I like Adam's idea that it should only be for players coming off their rookie deals especially since they are compensatory "draft" picks rather than including FA and vet players.  The way it works now is teams can work the system to get extra picks.  

That rookie deal only logic makes sense to me.   After that the teams are on the same competitive ground to wheel and deal as they choose.