Draft Day 1

BearFan2000

It's finally here, Draft starts tonight.  A little less exciting today as we don't have a first rounder. This will our first look at how Ryan Poles runs a draft room.  It's his first ever draft as GM. I'm both excited and nervous on how this will go.  We have definite needs and only 6 picks.  I won't focus on specific position or players but more or less what I'd like to see us do in general.

Trade wise, if we do make trades I hope that we do so in a way that maximizes value.  I don't want to see us sacrifice limited 2022 capitol, or borrow heavily from 2023, to not get back good value.  I want us to be smart and strategic about our draft day trades if we make any. I prefer trading down vs trading up, but not just to do so.  It has to be calculated based who's on our board and if we can drop a few picks to gain extra picks and still get our guy.   I don't want us to sacrifice the opportunity to grab a guy who falls to us or is on our board at a pick just to gain more picks.

When we do pick, I really want to see us take the smart pick, if a talent falls to our pick, and fills a need, take the guy.  I'm so tired of watching good players fall to us and we all see it only to see us take someone that makes us scratch our heads.  Whether it's taking a player we could have had later or could have traded down to get and maybe picked up an extra pick or we just take someone they fell in love with pre-draft rather than the talent that dropped.  We only have 6 picks we need to add as many impact players as we can, whether it's contributors, starters, or guys who can work their way into a starting role.  We can't afford to be cute, or act like the smartest man in the room and think we know better than the rest of the league.  Based on what Poles has said about the draft, I think he'll take a more smart calculated approach than Pace did.  But till he drafts we don't know how he will run the draft.  

Our picks as everyone knows for now are:

2-7 (39)

2-16 (48)

3-7 (71)

5-5 (148)

5-7 (150)

6-7 (186)

My mock draft (based on player rankings in The Beast from Dane Brugler)

- Trade 39 to KC for 50 and 62

- Pick 48  - Perrion Winfrey (DT, Oklahoma) or Tyler Smith (OT, Tulsa)

- Pick 50 -  Kyler Gordon (CB, Washington) or Christian Watson (WR, NDSU)

- Pick 62 - Jalen Tolbert (WR, South Alabama) or Cam Taylor-Britt (CB, Nebraska)

- Pick 71 -  Cole Strange (OC/G, Tennessee Chattanooga) or Tyler Parham (OC/G, Memphis)

- Pick 150 - Bo Melton (WR, Rutgers) or Mike Rose (LB, Iowa State)

Pick 186 - Smoke Monday (S, Auburn) or Jack Sanborn (LB, Wisconsin)

Trade Nick Foles to Jacksonville for pick 222 (Foles has a $4 million salary for this year - may have to eat part of it)

Pick 222 - Vederian Love (OT, Illinois)

Peace

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

- Pick 62 - Jalen Tolbert (WR, South Alabama) or Cam Taylor-Britt (CB, Nebraska)

- Pick 71 -  Cole Strange (OC/G, Tennessee Chattanooga) or Tyler Parham (OC/G, Memphis)

Trade Nick Foles to Jacksonville for pick 222 (Foles has a $4 million salary for this year - may have to eat part of it)

Pick 222 - Vederian Love (OT, Illinois)

Peace

Why would KC move up to 39?  Who is their target?  

There is always wild mock drafts posted - many so unrealistic they're laughable

One site had their staff offer their take on the possibility of Poles trading up into the upper 1st rd to get Chris Olave (Can't find the damn site but it had a dozen different scenarios.) As much as I would cream my pants if we were able to have Fields reunited with Chris Olave, would any of you like the idea if Poles found a way to pull it off?

Some of the trades mentioned were very tempting. (Iwill try to find the article again.)

Bears Mock Draft Scenario: Justin Fields reunites with a Buckeye WR

8 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Pick 222 - Vederian Lowe (OT, Illinois)

Peace

I like the way you did this!

Edited by Connorbear
misspell

22 minutes ago, Pixote said:

There is always wild mock drafts posted - many so unrealistic they're laughable

One site had their staff offer their take on the possibility of Poles trading up into the upper 1st rd to get Chris Olave (Can't find the damn site but it had a dozen different scenarios.) As much as I would cream my pants if we were able to have Fields reunited with Chris Olave, would any of you like the idea if Poles found a way to pull it off?

Some of the trades mentioned were very tempting. (Iwill try to find the article again.)

Bears Mock Draft Scenario: Justin Fields reunites with a Buckeye WR

Getting a#1 WR is all I care about. Olave would be great but just not worth it. Poles who values draft picks will never do it. I can see him moving down and still getting the WR he targets this year. Didn't like any of those trade options.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Getting a#1 WR is all I care about. Olave would be great but just not worth it. Poles who values draft picks will never do it. I can see him moving down and still getting the WR he targets this year. Didn't like any of those trade options.

Agreed and I'm not sure Olave is a #1 WR.  Don't misunderstand me, I like him a lot and he'd be a great draft pick if he fell to us, but he's sort of a Mooney + style WR.   Given our roster needs he's not the type of WR you trade the farm for, and we'd be trading the 2022 draft farm to get him.    Grab one of the less polished but nearly as athletic options in Rd 2/3.  

Every year people are drafted in the first round that don't live up to their draft spot. It's usually at a 50% clip. I don't think Olave will be a star. A started but not going to the pro bowl regularly. Maybe a Robert Woods comparison works. It would be nice to fill 5 spots of weakness with the draft. CB, SS, LB, DT but I would totally have no problem if they drafted 3 WRs and 3 OLs.  Fix those spots and fill in with Free agents. If they draft well 2 WRs and 2 OLs then grab a couple of Def players. If they are smart, get some extra picks fix everything. This is going to be  an interesting draft  because we have no idea what Poles will do.

8 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think we see them trade Quinn for pick(s) and than acquire Metcalf for a 2nd rounder, especially after the run on wideouts we have seen in first round.  

Samuel and Metcalf are better WR than either of the guys that have been traded so far. If they were going to be traded, it would have happened already. 

3 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think we see them trade Quinn for pick(s) and than acquire Metcalf for a 2nd rounder, especially after the run on wideouts we have seen in first round.  

Deebo and Metcalf both can be traded yet.  This might be the craziest draft ever with the amount of trades. 

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Watson , Pickens and Moore will be gone before our pick. Hopefully that doesn't push Pierce up the board because he's not valued at 39 in the draft. 50 to 70 is his usual slotting. OLs are going off the board to. No Tyler Smith.

I see Watson and Pickens going to GB and KC. 

20 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Watson , Pickens and Moore will be gone before our pick. Hopefully that doesn't push Pierce up the board because he's not valued at 39 in the draft. 50 to 70 is his usual slotting. OLs are going off the board to. No Tyler Smith.

Word was if the Bears do not take Pierce at 39, he will be gone shortly after.  His value is higher than thought.