Draft Day 2

AZ54

12 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Poles and Flus did talk about wanting speed and they sure do have it with Velus. This is gonna really open up the underneath for guys like Kmet and Montgomery in the passing game. 

One problem:  To open up the underneath routes you need deeper routes that take time.  That requires good blocking up front.  

Feels a little like how KC built their WR corps.  No X, just get a group of WRs with speed and RAC ability.  Of course they had one of the best in Hill who opened up a lot for everyone else.  Of course they replaced him with Skyy Moore.   

There is one other possibility and that is Getsy like Eq St. Brown more than anyone else.  I doubt that is true and I expect nothing from St. Brown except his ability to free up a roster spot for someone who can play.  

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tolbert off to the cowboys.  something I was worried about with reverting back to the Tampa2, and admittedly I’m probably overreacting here, but it just feels like Lovie Smith still having too much influence on the draft.  Only difference though, is no small school DB’s yet.

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Can't knock em for going BPA at positions of need. 

I'm hoping they go OG in the 3rd and then sign a LT. Having a strong OL is just as important, if not more important than adding weapons. 

The best way to succeed in the draft is to take BPA but I wanted offense. Any need they miss , they will target in free agency.i think they can still find a starting guard in the fifth.

13 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

We don't need a starting guard. LT is still a problem.

But who could he have drafted that could start at LT? Luke Goedtke? 

Poles targeted Patrick and Bates in FA, two guys who were slated at G or C. He has not targeted a OLT because he may see that player on the team already in Borum or Jenkins.  

Poles drafted at least two day 1 starters for the next 4 years.  I think Velus becomes an electric playmaker who plays alot but may not start.  They will get a 3T tomorrow along with a G (I hope Zach Tom slides down).

55 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles has some OL prospects that are still out there. Risker in the 5th but possibly. Last year KC got a starter in the 6th round. Tyler Smith.

At this point - sign a free agent tackle (Brown or Fisher) and focus on tackle again next year. Add another wideout and see if you can find a guard or dline prospect / go best available. 

34 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:
11 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

But who could he have drafted that could start at LT? Luke Goedtke? 

Poles targeted Patrick and Bates in FA, two guys who were slated at G or C. He has not targeted a OLT because he may see that player on the team already in Borum or Jenkins.  

Poles drafted at least two day 1 starters for the next 4 years.  I think Velus becomes an electric playmaker who plays alot but may not start.  They will get a 3T tomorrow along with a G (I hope Zach Tom slides down).

I don't think you find a starting LT outside of the first round. One to develop that could play OG his first year would be a good get. The problem is, we don't know how Poles evaluated Jenkins and Borom, he may think they can be good which lessens the need in a high pick. There are still  a ton of names still out there. I've been looking at tape and my best comparison is Randall Cobb but not as good a route runner. Cobb was productive out of the slot and taking screen passes. He is faster wth an Cobb. He will return kicks and be our deep threat. I don't think he is a #1 but if Mooney, Pringle and Jones all ascend to #2 WRs, that a good WR room.

If he got a little Tarik Cohen and Devin Hester in him , just be a playmaker in a more limited role, we did good.

Nah, the comp for Jones is pretty easy to me.....Mecole Hardman.  

Hardman was an electric returner who was looked at as a 3rd-4th rounder and KC took him in the 2nd round. 4.33 speed for Hardman vs. 4.31 for Jones. Both very raw as receivers. 

Now they have Pringle and their version of Hardman. I don't think Mooney will ever be Hill, but I absolutely expect him to take another step after working out with Fields in the off-season. Hopefully the same can be said for Kmet who was also working with Fields. 

Gotta grab a LT to give these boys time to work. 

Last year, 30% of rosters in the NFL were UDFAs, I'm sure he will bring in a large number and may luck out and a couple that prove out to be good. A lot of their visits were late round or Priority free agents . If he needs to , he can still bring in Eric Fisher or Duane Brown. We are not stuck . Would you guys be happy if our 2 5th round picks were Cris Paul/ OG and Matt Waletzko/OT? I could live with that.

6 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Nah, the comp for Jones is pretty easy to me.....Mecole Hardman.  

Hardman was an electric returner who was looked at as a 3rd-4th rounder and KC took him in the 2nd round. 4.33 speed for Hardman vs. 4.31 for Jones. Both very raw as receivers. 

Now they have Pringle and their version of Hardman. I don't think Mooney will ever be Hill, but I absolutely expect him to take another step after working out with Fields in the off-season. Hopefully the same can be said for Kmet who was also working with Fields. 

Gotta grab a LT to give these boys time to work. 

That works to, I was trying to find someone that played under the OC to compare to.

I’d like to see us go up and get a 4th rounder. And when I do I am going for more speed - either shakir (Boise State wideout) or the small but ultra quick Murray from Memphis. 

I like Shakir as a good slot guy for Mooney to go with all the other speed guys. Just got ultra fast - spread the d out - create space for Fields to throw to but also for Montgomery to do damage  and Fields to use his feet as a weapon in all that space. 

That speed should also create more space for Kmet. 

Been reading a lot about Jones. He is physically the same size as Deebo Samuel. Deebo 4.48, Jones 4.31. Both were used as KRs, and in the run game in college. Both had around 62 catches their senior year. Deebo scored a lot more but  comparable. Jones could be a sneaky good pick. He will be a multi use tool  in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Been reading a lot about Jones. He is physically the same size as Deebo Samuel. Deebo 4.48, Jones 4.31. Both were used as KRs, and in the run game in college. Both had around 62 catches their senior year. Deebo scored a lot more but  comparable. Jones could be a sneaky good pick. He will be a multi use tool  in the NFL.

I just listened to Poles' press conference and that is exactly what they plan to do with Velus.  He even compared him to Deebo... in terms of versatility and ability to line up in the backfield.  He is the chess piece in the same way Cordarrelle Patterson was supposed to be, except he has much better hands, even down to special teams returner and gunner.   He's physical as a runner too.  Let's hope this time around we have an OC and HC who know how to play chess.  I thought he was more of a Day 3 option but I do recognize that a guy like this frees up a special teams roster spot which is pretty valuable, both on the 53 and on game day.  There is a good interview with him on his draft page at NFL.com and he seems like a player who will represent the Bears very well.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/velus-jones/32004a4f-4e82-6251-6347-ca9076d159e9 

Brisker is the anti-Eddie Jackson safety.  This is a guy who runs to contact, works through the trash (or as Velus calls it ...the smoke) to find the ball.  He can hit.  He's versatile enough to handle some single-high safety looks but is more of a smart SS type.  He's still young and has room to learn but he makes our defense better and that will be noticeable early on once he gets comfortable with the the defense.  

Gordon I like a lot.  Whether he is outside or inside at NB he's a very good athlete.  Just the fact he has played both roles well demonstrates that.   He's a physical tackler too.  I never looked at him pre-draft because I never thought he'd be there, and of course I fully expected we'd go WR/Oline.  

I fully expected to go into this season still in the midst of a DB crisis.  I think that's over.  I'm not happy with the way the draft turned out with all the Oline going early but I'm happy with the picks and we filled some huge needs.  My goal was to come out of the draft with at least 2 starters for 2022, hopefully 3, and we drafted 2 on defense.   

Our view of the draft picks is blurred by the poor results of Emery and Pace. I hope that Poles is an antithesis of them and fingers crossed his success rate will enable the Bears to build strong rosters. I’m happy with taking the best player available and not reaching. 

Other than picking quality players my biggest hope is to not lose any draft capital next year. I’m happy that we took Fields last year and it looks a good and great pick considering this years quarterback crop but we need to build through the draft and losing picks through moving up in the draft and trading for players causes difficulty.

I struggle with how compensatory draft picks are awarded. I Poles knows how to utilise this area of the draft and we start getting some. Maybe this is due to our poor drafting but the successful teams seem to get 2 to 3 picks extra picks annually which doesn’t seem fair.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I just listened to Poles' press conference and that is exactly what they plan to do with Velus.  He even compared him to Deebo... in terms of versatility and ability to line up in the backfield.  He is the chess piece in the same way Cordarrelle Patterson was supposed to be, except he has much better hands, even down to special teams returner and gunner.   He's physical as a runner too.  Let's hope this time around we have an OC and HC who know how to play chess.  I thought he was more of a Day 3 option but I do recognize that a guy like this frees up a special teams roster spot which is pretty valuable, both on the 53 and on game day.  There is a good interview with him on his draft page at NFL.com and he seems like a player who will represent the Bears very well.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/velus-jones/32004a4f-4e82-6251-6347-ca9076d159e9 

Brisker is the anti-Eddie Jackson safety.  This is a guy who runs to contact, works through the trash (or as Velus calls it ...the smoke) to find the ball.  He can hit.  He's versatile enough to handle some single-high safety looks but is more of a smart SS type.  He's still young and has room to learn but he makes our defense better and that will be noticeable early on once he gets comfortable with the the defense.  

Gordon I like a lot.  Whether he is outside or inside at NB he's a very good athlete.  Just the fact he has played both roles well demonstrates that.   He's a physical tackler too.  I never looked at him pre-draft because I never thought he'd be there, and of course I fully expected we'd go WR/Oline.  

I fully expected to go into this season still in the midst of a DB crisis.  I think that's over.  I'm not happy with the way the draft turned out with all the Oline going early but I'm happy with the picks and we filled some huge needs.  My goal was to come out of the draft with at least 2 starters for 2022, hopefully 3, and we drafted 2 on defense.   

In the season opener if the Bears receive the kickoff and Velus Jones Jr is back to return it that could technically be your 3rd starter.

The reason I'm confused about the selections is because I haven't been able to monitor a GM that stuck to his board. The last 3 GMs Angelo, Emery and Pace were not this measured and I was on my keyboard voicing my opinion. This is new for us and maybe this GM was trying to light a fire under the remaining players on the roster by calling out specifically the O-linemen. Watching the play of the secondary last year on game 1 against the Rams and no one taps the WR while he is on the ground is all that I needed to see to realize we needed an upgrade in the secondary. I'm going to sit back and watch the process because this is a refreshing break from the normal Bears draft activity.

1 hour ago, lemonej said:

In the season opener if the Bears receive the kickoff and Velus Jones Jr is back to return it that could technically be your 3rd starter.

He will absolutely be the starter on KO and PR. The deep threat and gadget guy on offense. I don't doubt Poles drafts a OL in the 5th that starts at RG this year.

GMFB on NFL Network just mentioned 9 OL drafted in round 1 was most since 1968.

Then there was a crazy run on WR in round 1 along with MN trade to GB to start off Rd 2

With all of this said, I can see why Poles had to do some fancy dance moves.

5 hours ago, 50england50 said:

Our view of the draft picks is blurred by the poor results of Emery and Pace. I hope that Poles is an antithesis of them and fingers crossed his success rate will enable the Bears to build strong rosters. I’m happy with taking the best player available and not reaching. 

Other than picking quality players my biggest hope is to not lose any draft capital next year. I’m happy that we took Fields last year and it looks a good and great pick considering this years quarterback crop but we need to build through the draft and losing picks through moving up in the draft and trading for players causes difficulty.

I struggle with how compensatory draft picks are awarded. I Poles knows how to utilise this area of the draft and we start getting some. Maybe this is due to our poor drafting but the successful teams seem to get 2 to 3 picks extra picks annually which doesn’t seem fair.

I agree with this, especially the part in bold. That was one of my hopes going into this offseason and particularly the draft. We have not made moves that cost us future capital. It hurts not having first round picks. I hope Poles sticks to his goal of maximizing draft capitol. I knew this years draft would be more low key if we stayed put. As long as we get 2-3 starters and some guys who can contribute and we go into next draft with our full compliment of picks or even extra picks that will be huge. 

it is hard not to view the draft not being rained by how Things have been in the past. You need a steady hand to draft well, we’ve had so much reactionary drafting that we’ve come to expect at least one or two dumb moves that cost us more than it gained us. I too was expecting round 2 to be OL/WR. But I’m good with the picks we made plus the Jones pick in the 3rd. This roster needs help, and you have to start somewhere. Having a strong D will help keep games close while the offense finds its identity. Let’s not forget we go addition by subtraction with Nagy gone. Getsy May never have called an offense but he’s been around a prolific offense. 

This season is more about 2023 and beyond than it is about 2022. 

3 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

This season is more about 2023 and beyond than it is about 2022. 

I agree. Poles took over a team with a ton of needs. He was given very little CAP $$$ and and limited picks for the draft.

Poles is on a tight budget in FA & the Draft for year one. This is going to take time.

12 hours ago, AZ54 said:

One problem:  To open up the underneath routes you need deeper routes that take time.  That requires good blocking up front.  

Feels a little like how KC built their WR corps.  No X, just get a group of WRs with speed and RAC ability.  Of course they had one of the best in Hill who opened up a lot for everyone else.  Of course they replaced him with Skyy Moore.   

There is one other possibility and that is Getsy like Eq St. Brown more than anyone else.  I doubt that is true and I expect nothing from St. Brown except his ability to free up a roster spot for someone who can play.  

I'd be really upset if they didn't add Brown or Fisher. That's what I've wanted them to do all along as I preferred they have a veteran you know is good at left tackle vs a 2nd or later round rookie that may or may not be good. 

Adding one of those guys along to the addition of Patrick who upgraded what was the weakest spot of the OL last year, is gonna help give WRs more time down field.  Gotta get a guard....somewhere. Though I wouldn't hate to see Borum there, ya gotta give him some competition. 

This is very much like the KC offense and I don't think thats necessarily a bad thing. Obviously it worked there.