Draft Day 2

AZ54

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I just listened to Poles' press conference and that is exactly what they plan to do with Velus.  He even compared him to Deebo... in terms of versatility and ability to line up in the backfield.  He is the chess piece in the same way Cordarrelle Patterson was supposed to be, except he has much better hands, even down to special teams returner and gunner.   He's physical as a runner too.  Let's hope this time around we have an OC and HC who know how to play chess.  I thought he was more of a Day 3 option but I do recognize that a guy like this frees up a special teams roster spot which is pretty valuable, both on the 53 and on game day.  There is a good interview with him on his draft page at NFL.com and he seems like a player who will represent the Bears very well.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/velus-jones/32004a4f-4e82-6251-6347-ca9076d159e9 

Brisker is the anti-Eddie Jackson safety.  This is a guy who runs to contact, works through the trash (or as Velus calls it ...the smoke) to find the ball.  He can hit.  He's versatile enough to handle some single-high safety looks but is more of a smart SS type.  He's still young and has room to learn but he makes our defense better and that will be noticeable early on once he gets comfortable with the the defense.  

Gordon I like a lot.  Whether he is outside or inside at NB he's a very good athlete.  Just the fact he has played both roles well demonstrates that.   He's a physical tackler too.  I never looked at him pre-draft because I never thought he'd be there, and of course I fully expected we'd go WR/Oline.  

I fully expected to go into this season still in the midst of a DB crisis.  I think that's over.  I'm not happy with the way the draft turned out with all the Oline going early but I'm happy with the picks and we filled some huge needs.  My goal was to come out of the draft with at least 2 starters for 2022, hopefully 3, and we drafted 2 on defense.   

Poles was left a shit show to clean up. He said last night that you can't fix this overnight. It is going to take time. We need to give him that. 

Peace

22 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

It will be interesting to see how good Jones, is, Poles passed up several higher rated WRs to take him. I think he still grabs a bigger WR to compete with ST Brown. Several out there.

I feel like they passed on Pickens and Pierce was it, mayby Sky Moore.  Jones could be lightning in a bottle if the Bears can get anything like Deebo out of him.  I hope he contributed early

On 4/30/2022 at 2:48 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I feel like they passed on Pickens and Pierce was it, mayby Sky Moore.  Jones could be lightning in a bottle if the Bears can get anything like Deebo out of him.  I hope he contributed early

They clearly valued his versatility and most importantly he's good enough as as receiver to win on deep routes.  That was always the problem with CPat, nobody cared about him running routes especially deep routes because he couldn't catch.  Cohen had similar versatility but was smaller, quicker in his cuts, but not as fast deep so defenses just tried to get to him early.  Play calling had something to do with that too.  Cohen should have been developed as a slot WR instead of the hybrid RB/WR Nagy put him into but that's water under the bridge.  Velus will be the most versatile multi-threat player we've had on offense in the recent years.  He'll likely have a limited route tree and plays.  I'm sure teams will test him early to see what he's got, maybe leave him in single coverage while they focus on Mooney.  It'll be interesting to see how quickly he and Fields can get in sync, and if Getsy knows how and when to use him.