Draft Day 3

ASHKUM BEAR

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

Wow, That is an encouraging write up. Let's hope he is THAT good!

Add another:  

On The Draft Network he was ranked 116 overall, we got him at 168

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

"Braxton Jones is a highly decorated senior who aligns at left tackle. He is a good athlete overall who is agile enough to move his feet in his set. In the run game, he's physical and aggressive but not necessarily overpowering. He doesn't generate vertical movement as consistent as I’d like. He's more of a positional blocker who’s athletic enough to get to cut off on the backside. In the passing game, he's got great range and length. His anchor is good for the Big Sky conference, but he can really take his game to another level by getting stronger and improving his body composition. He can move laterally to handle the cross face from defenders. He appears to have excellent length that when paired with his athleticism makes it hard for defenders to speed rush him. In the NFL, although it may take two years, he could certainly develop into a quality left tackle for some teams, particularly ones who use a zone-blocking scheme." 

Zach Thomas is a good pick for our blocking scheme.  He needs time to develop but could slot in as a backup this year.  Having experience at OT could help him earn a roster spot.   Not a steal or value pick as this is where he was expected to go but still a good prospect for us.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zach-thomas/32005448-4f41-0700-de26-4c02b0aacfb3

Tackle-to-guard prospect with run-blocking talent to work with, Thomas is a fit for zone-scheme teams as a sticky move blocker with the ability to shift and stay connected while continuing to keep his feet moving.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

Zachary Thomas is a sufficient-level athlete with regards to body control and agility. In the run game, he doesn't generate vertical movement and is more of a positional blocker. He does show good temperament and finish. In the passing game, he has been good for the college level of football. He plays with good football IQ and is a sufficient reactor to twists inside. He appears to have sufficient arm length and could become more consistent with his hand placement. He has sufficient power in his punch and latch strength in his hands. In the NFL, he is ideally suited on the interior but has the ability to get you out of a game at one of the tackle positions. He could afford to add more mass to his frame and will be valuable to a team largely due to his football instincts and ability to play multiple roles

6 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

You are not supposed to be able to find players with a 6.3 grade this late in the draft.  His 41" vertical indicates a very good burst.  

NFL Comparison
Whitney Mercilus

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dominique-robinson/3200524f-4240-4567-d940-a5c388777ffe

Prospect Grade

Will Eventually Be Plus Starter

The reason he dropped was his lack of experience. Only played DE for two yrs and didn't start. Probably not good against the run . Was picked 3rd team all conference as a backup. 4.5 sacks and 10 TFL as a backup.

13 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I guess if nothing else Day 3 suggests that Poles isn’t a big fan of Arlington Hambright or Lachavious Simmons. 

He is making sure that there is enough blocks to build a foundation.  If those two don't fit, he has 4 more now in his bucket.  I hope he builds a league best unit that has depth so Fields has time and stays clean.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The reason he dropped was his lack of experience. Only played DE for two yrs and didn't start. Probably not good against the run . Was picked 3rd team all conference as a backup. 4.5 sacks and 10 TFL as a backup.

That's still a lot of potential for this late in the draft.  Braxton Jones had a 5.97 score and so Poles valued the potential LT over the DE prospect.  Here''s the converted WR at the Senior Bowl practices:  There's a lot to work with here.  

One thing about this draft, that I hope pans out, is that it is one of the deepest drafts in a long time, due to delayed graduations/eligibility from covid.  So going from 6 to 11 picks is a major plus for the turnover of the roster.  Especially since this year's 7th rounders may equate to 5th and 6th rounders.  This is what I wanted for this year.  The only thing that would have made it better would be to trade Quinn for extra picks.  I'm looking forward to watching our young guys have growing pains this season.  The following season we'll have draft capital and a better cap, so it will be a depth year and playoff push.(all dependent on Fields)

Not much of a draft nick anymore.  But they have done what they said they would do so far.  Did not give away any picks and added quite a few more.  This is a two three year work in progress.  I would of done a little different the first three picks, but they are hopefully building a team, not just drafting players like I would.  

6 hours ago, dawhizz said:

I guess if nothing else Day 3 suggests that Poles isn’t a big fan of Arlington Hambright or Lachavious Simmons. 

He's definitely looking for specific traits in the OL. I think that's why Daniels is gone. I think Daniels was athletic but may not have had the (nasty ) attitude he was looking for. May have considered him to soft. Remember when he praised Jenkins for defending Fields when he was hit out of bounds, Daniels was no where to be found. He first tried to sign Brian Allen but lost out to the SB champs. ( offered more money) Patrick has the attitude, knows the scheme, A leader type, fights every snap so as a backup plan at OC, he fits well. I think the reason screens and jet sweeps were not more successful was the lineman couldn't get to their spots to block. After the evaluation of current roster he still may need to get Fisher or Brown to play LT. I think he is serious about getting the OL fixxed. Davenport may be the LT in this scheme, physically is a NFL LT but lacks consistency. Braxton Jones may be the LT of the future but doubt he would start this year. The bears didn't address OL early but from what I've read, Ja'Tyre Carter may be the surprise start at RG that Poles drafted. Seen an interview with the bear regional scout that was responsible for bringing him here and had high praise v for him.