UDFAs

dawhizz

3 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Lots of UDFAs/try out players coming in. Not super excited by most of these at first glance, though I could see Sanborn sticking at LB. 

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2022/4/30/23044142/chicago-bears-2022-udfa-news-rumor-tracker-ryan-poles-matt-eberflus-undrafted-free-agent-nfl-draft

Sanborn  led one of the better Ds in the NCAA in tackles. A Kwit type of LBer. The SAM is only on the field 30% of the time in the Flus defense, maybe a surprise and starts.

Jean Delance plays so far over his feet he'll be tossed around like a rag doll in the NFL.  

I like Sanborn he was one of my late options to fill the SLB role.  

Derick Bush has some promising aspects to his game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaYhNIzWtn0

Cyrus Holder struggles to get separation from LBs.. won't go anywhere in the NFL.  Same for Luke Little.  I'm not sure why we're wasting time on these guys.  I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time on them other than to understand what Poles is trying to do.  At this point with so many meh players out of small schools I feel like he's just throwing as many darts as possible hoping to hit on one or two.   

Chase Allen out of Iowa State is more of a move TE since I've watched him quite a bit.  Nothing special athletically but like Sanborn he's someone worth bringing in the building as a possible depth player.  

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Jean Delance plays so far over his feet he'll be tossed around like a rag doll in the NFL.  

I like Sanborn he was one of my late options to fill the SLB role.  

Derick Bush has some promising aspects to his game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaYhNIzWtn0

Cyrus Holder struggles to get separation from LBs.. won't go anywhere in the NFL.  Same for Luke Little.  I'm not sure why we're wasting time on these guys.  I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time on them other than to understand what Poles is trying to do.  At this point with so many meh players out of small schools I feel like he's just throwing as many darts as possible hoping to hit on one or two.   

Chase Allen out of Iowa State is more of a move TE since I've watched him quite a bit.  Nothing special athletically but like Sanborn he's someone worth bringing in the building as a possible depth player.  

They need 90s players for camp. I assume most will be gone by the first cut. 

I also like Sanborn and would love to see him make the final 53.

Peace

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I seen a post on Twitter showing a new S we have, thought it was Brisker until I noticed the uniforms. Eligah Hicks has some game. 

That he does and he approaches it with a team first attitude.  I really like that pick for depth.  If Eddie falters again between him and DHC there is going to be some good competition to be next in line.  

30% of NFL rosters last year were UDFAs. I think we keep 53 players and 12 on the  practice squad. So 30% of 65 is 18 UDFAs. Ill start and add as I look at tape. For arguments sake  I'll say 12 do.

Players that make the roster:

Chase Allen/TE

Jack Sanborn/ LB

I've heard some great things about Jack Sanborn, Chase Allen, Allie Green, and Major Teague. I would not be surprised if Sanborn is a Week 1 starter, he was projected anywhere from the 4th-7th. On The Draft Network, he had a 4th round value (#119). Amari Carter, CB from Miami was also expected to be drafted, TDN had him at #196 (5th Round Value).

So I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanborn and one other of Green/Carter - CB, Allen - TE, or Teague - RB make the roster. The rest will easily make the practice squad.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:51 AM, Stinger226 said:

30% of NFL rosters last year were UDFAs. I think we keep 53 players and 12 on the  practice squad. So 30% of 65 is 18 UDFAs. Ill start and add as I look at tape. For arguments sake  I'll say 12 do.

Players that make the roster:

Chase Allen/TE

Jack Sanborn/ LB

Conveniently they are saving me the time by putting some videos of each UDFA here:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/chicago-bears-2022-nfl-draft-undrafted-rookies-highlights/

Jaylon Jones caught my eye as did Landon Lenoir, Kevin Shaa, and of course Chase Allen and Jack Sanborn.   

Jaylon Jones might be a player worth converting to safety as it sounds like he's not the best transitioning (flipping his hips) but with the action in front of him he's pretty good.  We did that with DHC and it worked out over the years.  

Landon Lenoir looks good in highlights (don't we all?) but has a so-so draft report and athletically is average.  As a smaller guy he needs to be quicker in/out of his cuts than it appears he is to play as slot WR and he's not good enough to play outside.  Kevin Shaa is somewhat different maybe a bit more speed but has the same route running limitations.   Don't see anything out of either.  

Chase Allen can be that 3rd or 4th TE but he's not special in any way.  Horsted is better running in the open field.  If you want TDs throw to Horsted, if you want first downs it's Allen.  Yet Allen might be the better blocker.  That Cal TE fits in the same mold. 

Sanborn has the most potential to make the 53 IMO.   

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Jaylon Jones caught my eye as did Landon Lenoir, Kevin Shaa, and of course Chase Allen and Jack Sanborn.   

Jaylon Jones might be a player worth converting to safety as it sounds like he's not the best transitioning (flipping his hips) but with the action in front of him he's pretty good.  We did that with DHC and it worked out over the years.  

Landon Lenoir looks good in highlights (don't we all?) but has a so-so draft report and athletically is average.  As a smaller guy he needs to be quicker in/out of his cuts than it appears he is to play as slot WR and he's not good enough to play outside.  Kevin Shaa is somewhat different maybe a bit more speed but has the same route running limitations.   Don't see anything out of either.  

Chase Allen can be that 3rd or 4th TE but he's not special in any way.  Horsted is better running in the open field.  If you want TDs throw to Horsted, if you want first downs it's Allen.  Yet Allen might be the better blocker.  That Cal TE fits in the same mold. 

Sanborn has the most potential to make the 53 IMO.   

Allen is more of a blocking TE that is really good at catching the ball. He is definitely not Horsted in terms of route running and separation, but I could see Allen in a lot of 12 packages.

I would be shocked if Sanborn doesn't make the 53 and I would not be surprised to see him starting Week 1 at Sam. He would come out for the Slot Corner in sub packages. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

I would be shocked if Sanborn doesn't make the 53 and I would not be surprised to see him starting Week 1 at Sam. He would come out for the Slot Corner in sub packages. 

Sanborn was always in my 5th round selection wheelhouse.  He does well in coverage, can take on blocks, and has good sideline speed. Playing SAM, you take on an entourage of blockers if the D flows the same as Lovies did. 

I'm not much for highlight films, they can be so misleading.

If you made a highlight film of my life, you would think I was an angel. Like I said they can be misleading. :lol:

I did watch the one for Jack Sanborn since many of you seem high on him. He looked awesome.

Did Eberflus' defense in INDY incorporate a lot of LB blitzes? If the answer is yes, Sanborn could fit right in.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I'm not much for highlight films, they can be so misleading.

If you made a highlight film of my life, you would think I was an angel. Like I said they can be misleading. :lol:

I did watch the one for Jack Sanborn since many of you seem high on him. He looked awesome.

Did Eberflus' defense in INDY incorporate a lot of LB blitzes? If the answer is yes, Sanborn could fit right in.

I'm not much on them either, I prefer entire game film if I can find it.  I just assume this is the best of the best they've ever done and what will that look like on an NFL field.  If your college highlight film is but 1min 30s and includes just 10 plays that isn't much of a resume for a supposed NFL prospect who should be dominating at the small college ranks.  I didn't even finish watching but 3 or 4 plays on some of these WR UDFAs because it's so obvious they aren't getting separation at their level.   

I also go by what I don't see with the assumption that if it wasn't there in college it likely won't be there in the NFL.  When you get to Sanborn's highlights there are many except just a few are of him in coverage.  In some of those he's making an INT but he's out of position trailing the receiver and benefits from a bad throw.  In the NFL that's a negative play.  You don't see much of him trailing a RB across the middle and defending a pass (at least I don't remember it).  As a SLB in this defense where he mostly has to play moving forward with occasional TE  or zone coverage responsibilities he should be ok.  After all he did make an open field tackle  on Justin Fields as he scrambled  outside the pocket.  

Highlights film can be misleading. I think you first use the stats of the players to gage what they are. Productive players would at least tell you of their consistent play. Sanborn led Wisc in tackles with other quality LBers on the team.  He was rated to be around a 5th round pick but got lost in the draft transition. If he was drafted in the fifth would we think differently of his ability to start. Since the SAM LB only sees 30% of the snaps, he doesnt need to be a blue chip player. Strong against the run and some coverage ability of which he seems to have. Our options at SAM are Caleb Johnson, L. Mack, C. Snowden and Sanborn. I think they have their starter already on the team as to bringing in another vet. Also they brought in a Matt Adams who would have to fit somewhere but more of a ST player. 

1 minute ago, adam said:

Full list of moves:

Mack is gone. Teague must really have injured concerns because his physical traits were thru the roof.

On Teague - I thought most everything I read said he was a slow, meh running back, but I know he had some size.  Quite frankly when OSU backs aren't total studs you have to wonder - they have a great line, good offense, tons of weapons, so if you can't be super dynamic you probably aren't that good to begin with.  

26 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

On Teague - I thought most everything I read said he was a slow, meh running back, but I know he had some size.  Quite frankly when OSU backs aren't total studs you have to wonder - they have a great line, good offense, tons of weapons, so if you can't be super dynamic you probably aren't that good to begin with.  

Ranked 27th of out 1632 RBs since 1987. 

Raw is the key word.  He is a freaky athlete with good size.  The thing with Teague is that he is not a good functional athlete.  Remember Alonzo Spellman?  He was a major freak athlete at 290# at 3% body fat.  He couldn't get off the line of scrimmage fast enough, even though he had the twitch to do so.  Teague had issues with changing speed and direction which are the most important qualities of a running back.

I remember when Pete Carrol in his first year had 206 roster transactions to upgrade his roster, and I thought that was insane but that is how you upgrade your roster from the bottom up. If they add 5-6 roster contributors to the team thru the UDFA process that would be a plus. I have faith that the new coaching staff will be better at developing players than the Nagy staff. With no apparent starter at Sam LB spot , we could possibly find him here. Sanborn, Avery, or Albright. Christian Albright has 4.6 speed. Sanborn-4.73, Avery 4.75.

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Highlights film can be misleading. I think you first use the stats of the players to gage what they are. Productive players would at least tell you of their consistent play. Sanborn led Wisc in tackles with other quality LBers on the team.  He was rated to be around a 5th round pick but got lost in the draft transition. If he was drafted in the fifth would we think differently of his ability to start. Since the SAM LB only sees 30% of the snaps, he doesnt need to be a blue chip player. Strong against the run and some coverage ability of which he seems to have. Our options at SAM are Caleb Johnson, L. Mack, C. Snowden and Sanborn. I think they have their starter already on the team as to bringing in another vet. Also they brought in a Matt Adams who would have to fit somewhere but more of a ST player. 

I actually start with the highlights.  If I can't see anything that stands out stats are meaningless.  They can be affected by the scheme, talent around the player, or just how the coach used the player both good or bad.   Then if the stats don't match what I think I see then I gotta go back and find more video, preferably games, which I try to find anyway if I have time.   

I have my share of hits and many misses like anyone else but Trevis Gipson was a Day 3 guy I wanted a couple years ago.  He had just 8 sacks in his last and best season at Tulsa, and just 4 the year prior, which is far from what I want to see from a guy at a small school.  He had 7 sacks last year in the NFL.  To be honest I expected that'd be his ceiling in the NFL but he kinda got there a little quicker than even I hoped for.  I don't think he'll ever be a starter who can handle 70% of the snaps, but maybe that's his ceiling in a couple years as long as it's in a heavy rotation like Eberflus runs.  Even then he likely needs someone like Quinn opposite him.   

I learn something new every year from this board in how to evaluate players at different positions.  I enjoy that and watching how the players' we like evolve during their careers even if they are on other teams.    

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Raw is the key word.  He is a freaky athlete with good size.  The thing with Teague is that he is not a good functional athlete.  Remember Alonzo Spellman?  He was a major freak athlete at 290# at 3% body fat.  He couldn't get off the line of scrimmage fast enough, even though he had the twitch to do so.  Teague had issues with changing speed and direction which are the most important qualities of a running back.

I read somewhere that Teague liked body building which is a different style of workout versus being the best RB you can be.  He was fast but with any of these guys if they bulk up too much they lose quickness and agility.  Maybe that's what he prefers to focus on.   Whatever it was it is interesting that the RB they signed, Tuggle, is small and has average agility and speed but it appears he can run routes, catch, and do KR.  He's a versatile RB who can help you in a variety of ways in practice.  In an emergency if you call him up you likely don't have to change too much in the game plan.  

https://247sports.com/Article/Master-Teague-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-weight-room-photo-goes-viral-muscle-162398684/

"Teague is a physical specimen whose background in bodybuilding gave him throwback size for the running back position."