Free agent WR Keith Kirkwood

GakMan23

I'm sorry but I must ask, what in the hell would Kirkwood add to our roster? Do we really need to sign any more camp bodies? There is nothing I have read about this guy that, IMO, would justify his signing or his taking up a roster spot.

Throwing darts hoping one sticks. At least they are creating competition. Pettis has 4.32 speed. His rookie year had almost 500  yds , 17.3 average , 5 TDs. , but injuries knocked him down. Then SF brought in better WRs. Sharpe had a good rookie season, and had the same storyline. Horsted failed his physical and they cut him. 

Funny thing about Pettis is that he was a 2nd Rd pick largely because of his return ability followed by his skill as a WR.  At least that's how I remember him when I watched him in college and his draft profile sort of echoed that.  The 49ers were lauded for selecting Pettis, or at least not criticized for it despite a big trade up to get him much earlier than he was valued.  Fast forward to today and everyone in the media is complaining about Velus Jones being a 3rd Rd pick and Jones offers even more versatility than Pettis did coming out of college.   At the time everyone was still singing the praises of Lynch for the Trubisky draft/JimmyG etc. so he got a pass for reaching on Pettis so he could help his QB.  

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/1/28/18200971/49ers-offseason-grades-nfl-draft-2018-dante-pettis

"The 49ers needed to add some playmakers this past year, and they made an aggressive move in the 2018 NFL Draft to add Pettis. The team traded a third round pick and received a fifth round pick from Washington to move up from No. 59 to No. 44. Non-first round trades can fly under the radar, but it was still an indication the 49ers were high on the Washington receiver and returner."

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dante-pettis/32005045-5473-5981-8eda-5f27db81c106

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/28/nfl-draft-2018-team-grades-picks-analysis

I don't expect anything out of Pettis but he's good for camp and if there are injuries who knows how the last WR spot shakes out.   

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Funny thing about Pettis is that he was a 2nd Rd pick largely because of his return ability followed by his skill as a WR.  At least that's how I remember him when I watched him in college and his draft profile sort of echoed that.  The 49ers were lauded for selecting Pettis, or at least not criticized for it despite a big trade up to get him much earlier than he was valued.  Fast forward to today and everyone in the media is complaining about Velus Jones being a 3rd Rd pick and Jones offers even more versatility than Pettis did coming out of college.   At the time everyone was still singing the praises of Lynch for the Trubisky draft/JimmyG etc. so he got a pass for reaching on Pettis so he could help his QB.  

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/1/28/18200971/49ers-offseason-grades-nfl-draft-2018-dante-pettis

"The 49ers needed to add some playmakers this past year, and they made an aggressive move in the 2018 NFL Draft to add Pettis. The team traded a third round pick and received a fifth round pick from Washington to move up from No. 59 to No. 44. Non-first round trades can fly under the radar, but it was still an indication the 49ers were high on the Washington receiver and returner."

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dante-pettis/32005045-5473-5981-8eda-5f27db81c106

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/28/nfl-draft-2018-team-grades-picks-analysis

I don't expect anything out of Pettis but he's good for camp and if there are injuries who knows how the last WR spot shakes out.   

AZ please don't get me started on Lynch, he gets way too much credit for fleecing Pace for that one trade but, he is just like Elway when it comes to looking for QBs, he's never satisfied. Jimmy G although oft-injured has been decent for them and has gotten them to the SB and a play away this year from returning this year. John Lynch is the most overrated GM in the league IMO. 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:31 PM, Stinger226 said:

At least you're adding people that had some NFL production. Should be real competitive. The fact they haven't added some OL help , probably means they like what they have.

It's possible they are holding out to see what comes out in the June 1st cuts?  I too am surprised that we haven't seen much activity in FA on the OL recently.  There are some guys out there.  It's also possible we're talking to agents and there just hasn't been anything to report.  

As for Kirkwood, never heard of him, I think they are taking the shotgun approach.

Tyke Tolbert has "High expectations" for Pettis. The problem with him has always said to be lack of motivation.  I don't expect it, but it'd be nice if something does finally click. Imagine running 4 wide sets with Mooney,  Velus, Pettis, and Pringle(who's 40 time doesn't really show it, but he's fast fast). 

5 hours ago, lemonej said:

AZ please don't get me started on Lynch, he gets way too much credit for fleecing Pace for that one trade but, he is just like Elway when it comes to looking for QBs, he's never satisfied. Jimmy G although oft-injured has been decent for them and has gotten them to the SB and a play away this year from returning this year. John Lynch is the most overrated GM in the league IMO. 

It pays to have friends in the media.  Criticizing him would be like eating their own.    

57 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Tyke Tolbert has "High expectations" for Pettis. The problem with him has always said to be lack of motivation.  I don't expect it, but it'd be nice if something does finally click. Imagine running 4 wide sets with Mooney,  Velus, Pettis, and Pringle(who's 40 time doesn't really show it, but he's fast fast). 

Now he has two WRs like that in Pettis and StBrown.  

I think Mooney, Pringle and Jones are set and will contribute. The next 2 or 3 will be surprises in a good way. I imagine  out of St Brown, Pettis or Sharpe, one will break out.

Mooney 4.38

Pringle 4.42

Jones 4.31

Pettis 4.32

St Brown 4.48

Sharpe 4.56

David Moore 4.38