Fields Mechanics

AZ54

On 5/18/2022 at 2:46 PM, AZ54 said:

Justin has been working on an improved more compact throwing motion this offseason.  It appears here that Getsy is pushing him to get rid of the little hop he takes before he throws.  

Yeah, and that little hop kills the timing on a bunch of throws. So we should expect the ball to come out faster and to hit more players in stride. 

One other thing, Nagy basically called 90% of the passes to a stationary receiver. Which basically kills the play right there and allows the defense to swarm immediately to the ball. That killed any chance at explosive plays. I expect several more this year. 

32 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah, and that little hop kills the timing on a bunch of throws. So we should expect the ball to come out faster and to hit more players in stride. 

One other thing, Nagy basically called 90% of the passes to a stationary receiver. Which basically kills the play right there and allows the defense to swarm immediately to the ball. That killed any chance at explosive plays. I expect several more this year. 

The other thing Justin should be working on is his arm motion on the release.  It's long and slow.

...and in OTAs he's still maintaining the shorter throwing motion.  Changes like this are difficult to maintain in live action due to muscle memory so we'll see how he does once the season starts but I'd say he's on the right path and over the next couple seasons this should become consistent as long as he puts the work in.  

I think the best trait Justin has going for him, is he works hard to do his work.  Not everyone has that desire. When covid hit the Big 10 they said they were cancelling the season. He personally took it on himself for them to change their mind. 

36 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Thanks for sharing.  That looks much better.  The muscle memory should be ok if he can maintain exact repetition.  It's the same thing with baseball hittng and pitching mechanics.  My guess is he's been advised to not throw unless his QB coach is present to ensure repeatability.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Thanks for sharing.  That looks much better.  The muscle memory should be ok if he can maintain exact repetition.  It's the same thing with baseball hittng and pitching mechanics.  My guess is he's been advised to not throw unless his QB coach is present to ensure repeatability.

He looks better. Also, watch his feet. Getsy wants him leading with his right foot instead of his left. Something to watch in the offseason and preseason. That was part of his problem with timing. The step count didn't match the routes (thanks Nagy!).

2 hours ago, adam said:

He looks better. Also, watch his feet. Getsy wants him leading with his right foot instead of his left. Something to watch in the offseason and preseason. That was part of his problem with timing. The step count didn't match the routes (thanks Nagy!).

Yes, yes.  I remember us all taking about his mechanics but wee never touched his feet.  Why this didn't occur at Ohio State is a glaring display of the difference between one of the top programs in the nation and the NFL.  Nagy should never be allowed around a QB again.  I'm glad our staff is doing the right work.

20 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Yes, yes.  I remember us all taking about his mechanics but wee never touched his feet.  Why this didn't occur at Ohio State is a glaring display of the difference between one of the top programs in the nation and the NFL.  Nagy should never be allowed around a QB again.  I'm glad our staff is doing the right work.

It's borderline criminal that Nagy was given a head coaching position and allowed to run an offense.  ARob had an interview and he talked about how he is happy to be able to run the entire route tree again, implying that Nagy limited him to specific routes. There was another article that talked about how the Bears had specific plays in the RZ only for Graham, and that Kmet didn't get many RZ targets, again due to Nagy's incompetence. 

5 hours ago, adam said:

It's borderline criminal that Nagy was given a head coaching position and allowed to run an offense.  ARob had an interview and he talked about how he is happy to be able to run the entire route tree again, implying that Nagy limited him to specific routes. There was another article that talked about how the Bears had specific plays in the RZ only for Graham, and that Kmet didn't get many RZ targets, again due to Nagy's incompetence. 

I never understood Nagy's affection for Graham.  It always felt like they were drinking buddies.  Amazingly throughout all of the mess that was Nagy's offense Mooney managed to shine.  That's a young man building his own path to success.  

14 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I never understood Nagy's affection for Graham.  It always felt like they were drinking buddies.  Amazingly throughout all of the mess that was Nagy's offense Mooney managed to shine.  That's a young man building his own path to success.  

It is pretty remarkable, Mooney was 20th in receptions and 19th in yards as WR2 in a Matt Nagy offense that ran out 3 different QBs against a tough schedule. That makes his numbers even more impressive. 110 more yards and he is top 10 in the league. He had 1055 last year, so 1200 doesn't seem that unreasonable. 

I read today that Flus is excited about Fields' ability to throw accurately deep, downfield. (Something he was known for at Ohio State). Couple that with the crazy speed Poles has brought into the WR Room and it makes me excited imagining what this offense will be like. Fields rolling out of the pocket, throwing to Jones over the middle or downfield to Mooney, OR running the ball. Our offense should cause opposing DCs to have a few sleepless nights preparing for us. Pass the Kool-Aid = :lol:

12 hours ago, Pixote said:

I read today that Flus is excited about Fields' ability to throw accurately deep, downfield. (Something he was known for at Ohio State). Couple that with the crazy speed Poles has brought into the WR Room and it makes me excited imagining what this offense will be like. Fields rolling out of the pocket, throwing to Jones over the middle or downfield to Mooney, OR running the ball. Our offense should cause opposing DCs to have a few sleepless nights preparing for us. Pass the Kool-Aid = :lol:

That will also open up the intermediate routes and run game. 

On 5/23/2022 at 12:03 PM, Stinger226 said:

I think the best trait Justin has going for him, is he works hard to do his work.  Not everyone has that desire. When covid hit the Big 10 they said they were cancelling the season. He personally took it on himself for them to change their mind. 

I like this about him too, it shows his passion for the game and having that passion drives him to work hard and be the best he can be.  Will he turn out to be the franchise QB we've been desperately searching for all these years/decades? The jury's still out but if he doesn't become what we hope he does it won't be for lack of effort, hard work, etc.  This makes him easy to root for as an individual and what he can bring to the team.  

On 5/23/2022 at 6:01 PM, Mongo3451 said:

I feel like the college game can allow QB's to get away with mechanics issues that they can't get away with in the NFL.   Coverages are tighter, windows are smaller.  Timing and ball placement is so much more important.  Cleaning up footwork, and mechanics is often one of the bigger adjustments QB's seem to have to do to successfully make the transition from college to pro.

1 hour ago, BearFan2000 said:

I feel like the college game can allow QB's to get away with mechanics issues that they can't get away with in the NFL.   Coverages are tighter, windows are smaller.  Timing and ball placement is so much more important.  Cleaning up footwork, and mechanics is often one of the bigger adjustments QB's seem to have to do to successfully make the transition from college to pro.

and reading defenses which are better disciplined and more complex/multiple in their schemes within a game.  

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

It is so funny to see the media so split on Fields. Some think he is already a bust and the Bears have no weapons or no O-Line, then on the flipside you hear how locked in the entire offense is and how the culture is completely different this year. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

I am pretty hyped about this season on par with how I felt going into 2018. However, we have Fields now compared to Trubisky in 2018, and that is a huge difference.

19 hours ago, adam said:

It is so funny to see the media so split on Fields. Some think he is already a bust and the Bears have no weapons or no O-Line, then on the flipside you hear how locked in the entire offense is and how the culture is completely different this year. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

I am pretty hyped about this season on par with how I felt going into 2018. However, we have Fields now compared to Trubisky in 2018, and that is a huge difference.

This is what it really boils down to.  At this point all we or the media can do is speculate and try to read the tea leaves.  As fans we want to look for the positive possibilities because we have a vested interest in it all working out.  But till it actually plays out on the field we won't know for sure.  One thing for sure is first impressions matter, if there's stumbling out of the gate you'll have the nay sayers being vocal about how they told you so.  Likewise if things start off good the opposite will be true.  We have to keep in mind it's a marathon not a sprint.  It's probably going to take time for the offense to fully find its identity rhythm.  

On 5/23/2022 at 12:32 PM, adam said:

The step count didn't match the routes (thanks Nagy!).

It's just shocking. That is football 101. how would anything work if the timing won't sync.

Nagy is a fraud. Ernie Accorsi is a moron.