OTA notes

Alaskan Grizzly

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be just him not being in shape up to what they might have wanted him to be. I doubt if its because he dont hustle. Doesnt mean anything right now. 

Also Brisker and Gordon are the real deal. Constantly making plays. A podcast with Jahns and Hoge that were at practice and were surprised with Morrow on how fast he is. Also praised the fullback Blasingame. Also noted how well built Pringle is at 6'1". Everyone is praising Gordon and Brisker. How great would that be if they end up being all pro type of players. Barring injuries we should be close to a top 10 defense with the added speed and D-backs.

4 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

It could be just him not being in shape up to what they might have wanted him to be. I doubt if its because he dont hustle. Doesnt mean anything right now. 

Also Brisker and Gordon are the real deal. Constantly making plays. A podcast with Jahns and Hoge that were at practice and were surprised with Morrow on how fast he is. Also praised the fullback Blasingame. Also noted how well built Pringle is at 6'1". Everyone is praising Gordon and Brisker. How great would that be if they end up being all pro type of players. Barring injuries we should be close to a top 10 defense with the added speed and D-backs.

I also heard Morrow is playing the Mike and making the calls, so that would put Roquan at the Will.

9 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

That's where Darius Leonard plays for the Colts, premium position in Flus defense.

Yep, I like it.

If Gordon and Brisker end up as good as they are playing now, this rebuild is going to be much quicker than expected. On Hoge and Jahns, they also mentioned how Jones and Pringle have looked really good so far, which is a good sign.

There has been so much negative press(mainly do to not grabbing a OL or WR with its first two picks) that the general theme is we have no talent, this is ridiculous. Our defense could be top 10 . Flus has showed those results were ever he has coached. Here he starts with one of the better pass rushes in the league. Our offense has questions but if Fields is the real deal , he has plenty of targets. 

16 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

There has been so much negative press(mainly do to not grabbing a OL or WR with its first two picks) that the general theme is we have no talent, this is ridiculous. Our defense could be top 10 . Flus has showed those results were ever he has coached. Here he starts with one of the better pass rushes in the league. Our offense has questions but if Fields is the real deal , he has plenty of targets. 

Yeah, the speed difference between Morrow and Trevathan/Ogletree/Jones is hilarious. Then you replace Gipson and Vildor with Brisker and Gordon. Those are 3 huge upgrades. Losing Goldman is addition by subtraction, and if Trevis Gipson improves from last year (7 sacks), he can easily match Mack's highest output (9 sacks) in the last 3 years. Jones is at least comparable to a normal Hicks in the middle, though a dominant Hicks was definitely better, so the D-Line is probably the biggest question mark on the defense, but I don't see it being bad. That is definitely a top 12-15 defense on paper.

The offense is going to come down to O-Line and Fields. The skill position players are fine.

23 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Johnson practicing with ‘2s’.  Vildor and Gordon currently with ‘1s’.  Probably nothing more than Johnson missing earlier voluntary workouts and Eberflus needing to see more out of him, both in play and leadership. 

I can appreciate Johnson's take on this and shows maturity and professionalism. Rather than whine and pout, he straight up said he knew he'd have to prove himself to the new staff.  That's the reaction of a hard worker that doesn't expect to just be handed the starting spot.  

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Of note, Jaylon back with the 1s (as expected) and now Rookie OLman Braxton Jones is working with the 1s, forcing Jenkins to back up duty.  

There was a good chance Braxton Jones would grab hold of the LT position and not let it go.  He has the arm length and lateral movement for the wide zone.  So they are moving Borum over to RT and Jenkins to the bench in this remix.  I don't know what it means until TC, but this was something they tried.  

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

There was a good chance Braxton Jones would grab hold of the LT position and not let it go.  He has the arm length and lateral movement for the wide zone.  So they are moving Borum over to RT and Jenkins to the bench in this remix.  I don't know what it means until TC, but this was something they tried.  

Yeah nothing wrong with tinkering what you have before you get into the meat or TC and especially pre-season.  I trust Poles on the oline choices (and advice) given his background and what he was able to do in KC before coming here . Still good to see them mixing and matching.  

They keep saying they want the top 5  to start but you need your best 5 combo to start.   This feels like they are looking at Borom as swing T.  So it’s competition between Jones and Borom.  Notice they did not move Jenkins from his spot.  To me that indicates he’s our RT.    It’s still RG that has me the most concerned.  

Now guys, don't roast me for asking this. I'm not a GM or Scout by any figment of one's imagination. (Plus my memory is crap and getting worse by the years). Didn't Jenkins play some OG in college before moving to OT? Does he have the body, the traits needed, to play OG in the NFL? If Borom at ROT and Jones at LOT turns out to be our best OT combo, would it be a possible solution to our OG problem to move Jenkins to the inside? 

46 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Now guys, don't roast me for asking this. I'm not a GM or Scout by any figment of one's imagination. (Plus my memory is crap and getting worse by the years). Didn't Jenkins play some OG in college before moving to OT? Does he have the body, the traits needed, to play OG in the NFL? If Borom at ROT and Jones at LOT turns out to be our best OT combo, would it be a possible solution to our OG problem to move Jenkins to the inside? 

That's what I was alluding to with the whole best 5.   IMO there is no scenario where Jenkins is not among the top 5 Oline on this roster.  I can't speak to if he could fit in at RG but I'd think if that's what they were really after they would have made that move at the same time.   They chose not to. 

Now we could speculate that they didn't want 3 position switches at once but OTOH if this is just about seeing if Jones can start they could have also just made 1 move and put Borom to 2nd string LT and Braxton Jones with 1st team.   They chose not to do that either.  

My conclusion is that Jenkins isn't moving away from RT regardless of whether he could, this is where they want him.   

If my premise that Jenkins is among the top 5 is completely wrong, then this all falls apart.  

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

Jenkins has great traits to be an all pro guard.

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

That's what I was alluding to with the whole best 5.   IMO there is no scenario where Jenkins is not among the top 5 Oline on this roster.  I can't speak to if he could fit in at RG but I'd think if that's what they were really after they would have made that move at the same time.   They chose not to. 

Now we could speculate that they didn't want 3 position switches at once but OTOH if this is just about seeing if Jones can start they could have also just made 1 move and put Borom to 2nd string LT and Braxton Jones with 1st team.   They chose not to do that either.  

My conclusion is that Jenkins isn't moving away from RT regardless of whether he could, this is where they want him.   

If my premise that Jenkins is among the top 5 is completely wrong, then this all falls apart.  

agree with everything. I dont know if you like Greg Gabriel or not but he is insightful. People raging on Jenkins because he was with the second unit. The press only get to see a few practices, Greg noted that they are probably changing things around in every practice to figure out what they have and who will be the best 5 on the field. Patrick seems to be locked and Whitehair aint moving but every other position has many suitors. If Mustifer is the 5th best OL, I can see him going to OC and Patrick slide over. He could still make line calls at the RG spot.  I like that they arent stuck with one scenario. I think the lineup they put out there will be good enough. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

agree with everything. I dont know if you like Greg Gabriel or not but he is insightful. People raging on Jenkins because he was with the second unit. The press only get to see a few practices, Greg noted that they are probably changing things around in every practice to figure out what they have and who will be the best 5 on the field. Patrick seems to be locked and Whitehair aint moving but every other position has many suitors. If Mustifer is the 5th best OL, I can see him going to OC and Patrick slide over. He could still make line calls at the RG spot.  I like that they arent stuck with one scenario. I think the lineup they put out there will be good enough. 

There is also a chance they need to know if a sub is better at one side or the other, so in case of injury to say Borom, it may be better to slide Jenkins over instead of replacing him with a sub, or something along those lines. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

There is also a chance they need to know if a sub is better at one side or the other, so in case of injury to say Borom, it may be better to slide Jenkins over instead of replacing him with a sub, or something along those lines. 

I don't remember who said it on the radio this morning, but he essentially said there actually is something to this.  He mentioned the red flags on the medical history and athletic limitations.  Jenkins may end up the right guard we've been looking for.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't remember who said it on the radio this morning, but he essentially said there actually is something to this.  He mentioned the red flags on the medical history and athletic limitations.  Jenkins may end up the right guard we've been looking for.

I'm not sure about the medical red flags being an issue since as far as I know that was all about his back and not for knee, ankle or other issues that would impact his mobility.  I think being outside at RT where there is a greater gap before contact is better and also the edge defenders are not as big and strong.   The athleticism part could be valid.   If going with Jones, Borom, and Jenkins at RG gets the best 5 on the field I'm good with it.    IMO that's far better than any combo that has Mustipher or Dozier at RG.  

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

If he ends up being our starting LT, that would be a major boost to Poles legacy.

totally. if the team we have now can play that would be amazing.

I suspect we will need one more draft class to really fill out the team, and hopefully, while the players show improvement and ability, we find dumb ways to lose games so we have a good draft position next year to really build a team that can dominate for years.

now, if the guys we already have can come together and do that this year, that'd be even better and should get Poles a GM of the year. And he'd deserve it. (looking at you Pace)