OTA notes

Alaskan Grizzly

On 6/10/2022 at 5:37 PM, Pixote said:

Didn't Jenkins play some OG in college before moving to OT?

The tinkering with Jenkins reminds me a little of Kyle Long, except Jenkins moving around is more immediate.  Long actually succeeded in the short time he spent at Tackle (getting a ProBowl nod) but was obviously out of his element for those of us fans who watched him regularly.  

Speaking of Long…

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if the injury has had a effect on his play, but here is the NFL draft profile for Tevan Jenkins. His athleticism and blocking on the second level is a strength. I think they know what they have in Jenkins and are trying to see what other players can do. Its amazing how journalists are raging on Tevan over one practice. Maybe out of all the OTs on the team he is the only one they think could play RG at a high level. Playing in shorts does not say much about line play. As far as Braxton Jones, we already have a comparison player on the team, Julian Danvenport. Has all the measurables, small school, athletic. He has developed into a backup player in the NFL. Jones has a long way to go, but I think development it what makes or breaks players in the NFL. We just have to see how this plays out. I think the fact we have a good edge rusher room will help on the development of all our OTs on the team. 

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 1
NFL Comparison
Joe Thuney
Overview
NFL-ready frame with broad chest and thick lower half. Jenkins not only plays with excellent upper-body power and hand strength, he combines it with a desired level of body control and athleticism to create a consistent, toolsy talent. His instincts and processing serve him well in quickly sifting through moving pieces. He can be an intolerant run blocker, looking to finish and bury his opponent once he gets his block locked and centered. Jenkins has good tackle tape, but his short arms and average range in pass sets could be something to keep an eye on. Whether it is at tackle or guard, Jenkins has the talent to become an early starter and a successful pro.
Strengths
  • Split low with wide frame, good power and excellent body control.
  • Instinctive feel for positioning and quick to adjust his blocks when needed.
  • Powerful core allows him to base up and flatten the edge for running backs.
  • Full sustain mode closes door once his hands lock in.
  • Ready and willing to bury his man.
  • Plays under squared pads as a climbing blocker.
  • Athleticism for smooth drift from block to block on second level.
  • Quick to set out on wide-angle rushers and close the distance.
  • Keeps hands back until his target is within range.
  • Strong, sure hands clench up and stall rush attack.
  • Capable hand fighting to recapture control.
  • Solid mirror and redirection win space.

13 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I suspect we will need one more draft class to really fill out the team, and hopefully, while the players show improvement and ability, we find dumb ways to lose games so we have a good draft position next year to really build a team that can dominate for years.

Definitely need another season to build the base.  The third off season should put us over the top with talent.  At that point, we hope Fields has developed into a franchise QB and can utilize it.  

Idiot Pace came in with an impatient plan by thinking his year three was going to be in Trubisky's second year.  He forgot the base.

11 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Definitely need another season to build the base.  The third off season should put us over the top with talent.  At that point, we hope Fields has developed into a franchise QB and can utilize it.  

Idiot Pace came in with an impatient plan by thinking his year three was going to be in Trubisky's second year.  He forgot the base.

so true. they drank their own kool aid.

I think Pace is a good guy, a good team player, but thats the problem, he buys in on too much enthusiasm, and didnt have the guts to fire Nagy the prior year. He isnt someone to shape an organization, he'd be a great assistant GM.

I seen where PFF had us listed as the worst WR group in the league.  I know there are a lot of questions but the fact we have Justin Fields at QB will make a lot of questions go away. Mooney is going to be a star, and Pringle has the traits to be a dependable member. The rest will have questions but with Kmet and Monty out of the backfield, we have weapons. Someone else will standout from that group.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I seen where PFF had us listed as the worst WR group in the league.  I know there are a lot of questions but the fact we have Justin Fields at QB will make a lot of questions go away. Mooney is going to be a star, and Pringle has the traits to be a dependable member. The rest will have questions but with Kmet and Monty out of the backfield, we have weapons. Someone else will standout from that group.

PFF can only tell you the story after it's been written.   Even then they don't always get the details right.    I guess I could put it another way.... PFF would never let a rookie get off the bench because their stats would never be better than the starter.  This is why you hire talent evaluators and good coaches.  

PFF is a joke.

Of course the offense needs to show it on the field, but even when PFF says things I agree with, theyre still a joke, so whatever they say means nothing.

It will be interesting to watch this group, see how theyu play, and if they add any more players to the room. I still think there is a decent chance for a WR or OL (or both) in free agency too. Not for big money, but after the music stops on June first, and everyone grabs the nearest chair.

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

PFF can only tell you the story after it's been written.   

This is a great point and it is very subjective. There was a week a few years ago where Rodgers had one of the best statistical games ever and he was graded lower than Colt McCoy who threw for 180 yards, it was absolutely ridiculous. They should only be used as supplemental information.

6 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

PFF is a joke.

Of course the offense needs to show it on the field, but even when PFF says things I agree with, theyre still a joke, so whatever they say means nothing.

It will be interesting to watch this group, see how theyu play, and if they add any more players to the room. I still think there is a decent chance for a WR or OL (or both) in free agency too. Not for big money, but after the music stops on June first, and everyone grabs the nearest chair.

Yeah, PFFs accuracy is so off. Sometimes they are spot on and sometimes way off. Fields was terrible in PFF, but was also dead last in QBR and 3rd to last in DVOA. However, none of that takes into account the Nagy Effect. 

Fields is now getting 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team reps, he is getting all of them. So those extra reps are going to speed up his learning curve considerably. 

On paper, the Bears do have one of the weaker WR Corps in the league. However, instead of rank-ordering them, it is easier to group them. The Bears probably have a bottom 3rd unit, which is ok if the RBs, TEs, and especially the QB are in the top 3rd. Our RB Room is easily top 3rd, our TEs probably middle 3rd and just say Fields ends up in the middle 3rd. That should equate to a middle 3rd offense, which is fine because we were terrible last year.

Honestly, it's pretty easy and fair to rank them last right now. I assume it's all based on the past year(or years). A lotttt of question marks. Can Mooney be THE guy? Did Pringle simply benefit from facing teams 3rd or 4th DB? Is Velus more than just a gadget guy? What do we have with all the other veteran miscast? 

4 hours ago, scs787 said:

Honestly, it's pretty easy and fair to rank them last right now. I assume it's all based on the past year(or years). A lotttt of question marks. Can Mooney be THE guy? Did Pringle simply benefit from facing teams 3rd or 4th DB? Is Velus more than just a gadget guy? What do we have with all the other veteran miscast? 

Someone has to explain to me how Mooney wasn't THE guy last year.  Was there someone else who put up 1000 yds in Nagy's craptastic offense?   If defenses weren't focused on Mooney then who were they focused on?   Am I supposed to believe they went all in to shutdown a disgruntled ARob and his 34yd/gm?  

They base their opinions on who left more than who's here. Mack gone, only played 7 games and was hurt. Hicks gone , was injured and only played 9 games. AROB sucked. Then Daniels wasn't resigned, truth is he was second in the league in giving up pressures at the OG position, 39 last year. They all will play better this year but they're to pricey to rebuild the roster with. I believe we will be a lot better this year. #1 better coaching or I should say, no Nagy. #2 Fields is going to be the man. He has ever trait the elite QBs have, smart, hard worker, loves football and wants to be the man. Plus , fast , strong arm, and focused. He's the guy getting Mooney and Kmet to work out with him. Isn't injury prone. I don't remember the name of the test but before he was drafted they talked about him being ranked first out of all the QBs drafted over the last 10 yrs. I think Burrow was second. He has it all and will be the main reason we win 8-9 games this year.

44 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

They base their opinions on who left more than who's here. Mack gone, only played 7 games and was hurt. Hicks gone , was injured and only played 9 games. AROB sucked. Then Daniels wasn't resigned, truth is he was second in the league in giving up pressures at the OG position, 39 last year. They all will play better this year but they're to pricey to rebuild the roster with. I believe we will be a lot better this year. #1 better coaching or I should say, no Nagy. #2 Fields is going to be the man. He has ever trait the elite QBs have, smart, hard worker, loves football and wants to be the man. Plus , fast , strong arm, and focused. He's the guy getting Mooney and Kmet to work out with him. Isn't injury prone. I don't remember the name of the test but before he was drafted they talked about him being ranked first out of all the QBs drafted over the last 10 yrs. I think Burrow was second. He has it all and will be the main reason we win 8-9 games this year.

....on Fields.... he needs better throwing mechanics.  He's working on it but this is going to be a multi-year process.  

Mechanics is something that can be fixed. We have already seen some changes. Changing foot positioning, and shorter throwing motion. I think we have coaches that can actually develop a prospect. Nagy was stuck in the ( my scheme) lane and couldn't get past it. These coaches are going to fit the offense around Fields. Win win

I read notes on today's final day of workouts. It mentions that Jones will be joining Fields and Mooney in Atlanta during their break, I assume staying with Fields at his home. It also hints that others, including Kmet, 'may' be joining them. 

I was excited when I learned Mooney and Fields spent time together bonding before OTAs. I was hoping Jones and Pringle would join them after OTAs. I'm excited that Jones is indeed going to Atlanta. Now I pray Pringle will join them as I honestly think he will be a starter with Mooney, Jones, and Kmet, giving Fields plenty of weapons to show everyone he is the real deal.

5 hours ago, Pixote said:

I read notes on today's final day of workouts. It mentions that Jones will be joining Fields and Mooney in Atlanta during their break, I assume staying with Fields at his home. It also hints that others, including Kmet, 'may' be joining them. 

I was excited when I learned Mooney and Fields spent time together bonding before OTAs. I was hoping Jones and Pringle would join them after OTAs. I'm excited that Jones is indeed going to Atlanta. Now I pray Pringle will join them as I honestly think he will be a starter with Mooney, Jones, and Kmet, giving Fields plenty of weapons to show everyone he is the real deal.

Kmet worked out with Fields also, and I'm sure he will be there. I like they are taking this seriously. Can't always tell what young players will do once they get paid. I don't think this is that common where whole groups get together with their QB to build chemistry.

In looking at our OL, Whitehair is the only returning opening day starter from last season.  I've seen a lot of commentary on Tevin Jenkins.  Jenkins lost most of the season with his injury so he is almost still a rookie.  Seeing him moved around so much in OTA's is a bad sign.  He needs the work.  At this point, I see him as the RG.  If Mustipher beats him out, call it a bust.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

In looking at our OL, Whitehair is the only returning opening day starter from last season.  I've seen a lot of commentary on Tevin Jenkins.  Jenkins lost most of the season with his injury so he is almost still a rookie.  Seeing him moved around so much in OTA's is a bad sign.  He needs the work.  At this point, I see him as the RG.  If Mustipher beats him out, call it a bust.

The Jenkins situation is concerning, but like you said, he didn't have a rookie offseason, had surgery, didn't get many reps when he did play, and now is in an entirely new offensive scheme. 

The optimistic side is that Braxton Jones is legit, the pessimistic side is that Jenkins has looked terrible. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

He hasn't moved yet, they've kept him at RT but he did drop down to reps with backups.  About the only conclusion I can see is that our top 3 OTs are Jenkins, Jones, and Borom, and that Borom will be a starter on one side or the other.  If Jenkins is the backup, I find it hard to believe Mustipher is the better option at RG and that they wouldn't even give Jenkins some reps at RG in OTAs to see how he does.  All eyes will be on the Oline once camp starts.  

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't think they are actually moving him that much - I think they are kind of keeping him at RT and moving around others.  With that said - I think this is still a coaching staff that wants to get to know these players, which means, with young players, they want to see what they can do so they have an idea of depth and positional awareness of where people probably fit best.  

On 6/13/2022 at 2:42 PM, AZ54 said:

Someone has to explain to me how Mooney wasn't THE guy last year.  Was there someone else who put up 1000 yds in Nagy's craptastic offense?   If defenses weren't focused on Mooney then who were they focused on?   Am I supposed to believe they went all in to shutdown a disgruntled ARob and his 34yd/gm?  

I do think that early in the season - before Arob went out - it is probably true that Arob got more shade given his reputation and that even when he was back, he probably got a decent amount of attention (if for nothing else on reputation alone). But he missed a ton of games and by the end of the season teams could see he wasn't going to be there - so clearly defenses had zoned in on Mooney. The good thing about speed/quickness (combined with tight route running and solid hands) is - it can be really hard to contain.  

I also think Fields is very different than Trubisky. Trubisky would lean in on Robinson and make sure he would get the targets and trusted him a ton in tight coverage. Fields wasn't ready to throw guys open - but also likes throwing into space more (vs. the tight coverage) so he just had a lot more natural hesitation to give the same tight window throws to Robinson that Trubisky would and quite frankly Robinson made an entire career being a tight window wideout (his speed was pedestrian but he had made it up with strong footwork, route running, and hands.  The question is how well will those skillsets age and when you are playing on bum legs (clearly something was off there) - than it gets really tough.