OTA notes

Alaskan Grizzly

19 hours ago, Pixote said:

I read notes on today's final day of workouts. It mentions that Jones will be joining Fields and Mooney in Atlanta during their break, I assume staying with Fields at his home. It also hints that others, including Kmet, 'may' be joining them. 

I was excited when I learned Mooney and Fields spent time together bonding before OTAs. I was hoping Jones and Pringle would join them after OTAs. I'm excited that Jones is indeed going to Atlanta. Now I pray Pringle will join them as I honestly think he will be a starter with Mooney, Jones, and Kmet, giving Fields plenty of weapons to show everyone he is the real deal.

I am with you - these younger players all seem like they are extremely hungry and are pushing each other, which is great to see.  I know 2022 will have its ups and downs (probably its fair share of downs) - but I think the way they are doing this and providing opportunities for young players and hitting a fresh restart while trying to build a unit around Fields will be huge...even if he has to live with less than ideal playmaking and line play for one more season (but hopefully they can scheme / design stuff to protect his health and put him in positions to not get ruined).

My glass half full view is Fields takes a major step forward and covers a lot of the flaws and this team gets closer to .500 and than we are a team with massive cap space a trending QB, its full stock of picks and ideally other younger core players stepping up as well. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/14/2022 at 1:27 AM, Stinger226 said:

Mechanics is something that can be fixed. We have already seen some changes. Changing foot positioning, and shorter throwing motion. I think we have coaches that can actually develop a prospect. Nagy was stuck in the ( my scheme) lane and couldn't get past it. These coaches are going to fit the offense around Fields. Win win

For me - I think one of the biggest keys to LT success for fields is going to be his ability to get the ball out fast. If he does that - one, he should stay healthier, and two that means he is getting better at reading the defense and more naturally balancing the immediate big play with the quick wins.  He does that - I am pretty certain we will be talking about a guy (barring injury or something else) that will be revered in Chicago and potentially go down as the all time greatest Bear (I don't want to say all time greatest QB - cause that bar is so low :)).  

Flus talked about moving guys up to play with the 1s to see how they handled tougher competition.  As someone who still wants to believe that Jenkins can be a beast, I'm hoping that they know Jenkins is gonna be one of the starters and they just wanna see what Borum and Jones can do against the 1s to really evaluate who the other starter will be. 

One thing I havent seen discussed anywhere is the difference between the RPO and the play action game.

In an RPO, there is a LOT of complexity that requires multiple players to all read things the same way, and the QB reaches the mesh point, and then must decide whether to hand the ball off or throw it. If he decides to throw it, he looks up, reads the coverage and hopefully finds an open man. The thing that's missing from this equation is that it is NOT a timing offense. It's more like sandlot football. Tricky, but slower to get the ball out.

With a more traditional play action game, the defense is still stressed in similar ways, not knowing whether LBs and safeties should come up and play the RB, or drop into coverage, but the timing of the routes are synchronized to the QBs footwork. When Fields' head comes up from the play fake, it should happen on the same step every time. The first read should be breaking open. If it is covered, a beat later, the QB looks to the second read, which is now coming open (or not).

This is why Fields has been a bit rusty with his timing, and also why there is a lot of reason for optimism that it WILL get better. Once the steps are all timed out, the ball should come out fast, and to the right man. And this will hide some flaws on the OL.

The RPO has some advantages in that it's more confusing. Like the T formation used to be. The funny thing is, that as the football trend cycle goes around, the new defense to combat this (as shown by VIc Fangio and the Rams) is to drop two safeties deep. Everything old is new again.

When we had Lovie, we were riding the end of a cover 2 trend, and offenses were designed and adept at defeating it. Now we are on the beginning of that trend resurfacing. It wont last forever, but speed at the LB position (Smith and Morrow) should be able to take care of seam routes the way Urlacher did.

I think we are in the right place at the right time in terms of scheme. Now players need to execute.

One aspect not brought up is the fact they know what they have in Jenkins and are trying to see how others do playing with the #1 team, what they are capable of. As it looks maybe they view Borom as the swing tackle. Someone else suggested that. . Olin Kruetz said , the starting 5 will be Borom-Whitehair-Mustifer-Patrick-Jenkins. I'll go with Olin unless we add a vet. He trains Mustifer, so his opinion may be bias but the truth is he knows what it takes to be a NFL lineman.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

One aspect not brought up is the fact they know what they have in Jenkins and are trying to see how others do playing with the #1 team, what they are capable of. As it looks maybe they view Borom as the swing tackle. Someone else suggested that. . Olin Kruetz said , the starting 5 will be Borom-Whitehair-Mustifer-Patrick-Jenkins. I'll go with Olin unless we add a vet. He trains Mustifer, so his opinion may be bias but the truth is he knows what it takes to be a NFL lineman.

And Olin's son's friend, Kramer, is now on the roster Olin no doubt is getting some feedback on what is happening in the room. 

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

After reading this I'd say Jones still has a way to go to earn a starting role.  That doesn't mean he's out of the competition and it was good to see the coaches throw him in with the 1's.   His future definitely looks bright.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/progress-braxton-jones-made-shows-he-will-compete-at-tackle

This article outlines his approach, which we've already seen with a few players:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears-planning-different-approach-to-training-camp-practice

If Kreutz is right and Mustifer ends up starting at one of two positions, is that going to piss everybody off? Although not blue chip talent, we have 16 OL on the team right now. There is two at least average or about average players in Patrick and Whitehair. A second round pick that has great upside in Jenkins. So out the 13 other OLs, somebody has to stand out enough to at least be an average player for this yr. When called upon  Mustifer played well in 2020. The Oline coach had him gain 30 lbs and he had a bad yr. Olin said that he didnt handle the weight well. Olin is helping him train and should have realistic input into him getting better. I would say they ask him to lose some weight to adjust to  what they are looking for. Also Sam could go back to center because Patrick could still call line plays from RG spot. Patrick has played more guard than he has OC sinced his time in the NFL. 

If the Bears bring in a vet, especially one to a substantial deal, it is going to be in this window between OTAs and training camp. That way whatever vet joins doesn't really miss any critical time with the team compared to some of the younger guys who need the reps. 

I also think if Quinn is going to be traded, it is going to be before they show back up for training camp, because they are not going to want the distraction of a hold out.