Biggest Surprise on Offense in 2022

adam

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I hope he sticks to building through the draft.  Every trade has kept us in the mediocre to bad window for 25 years.   

That also assumes he's capable of building through the draft.  Early returns are good but we'll see what we get from the Day 3 picks.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

That also assumes he's capable of building through the draft.  Early returns are good but we'll see what we get from the Day 3 picks.  

Right, like to see one or two linemen drafted make some type of impact. I think our GM and his assistant will be great as long as they don't start gambling too much.

Just looking back on Ryan Paces introductory press conference,  he talked about building through the draft. I think it's far too early to determine what Poles is gonna do after 1 year. 

Do I want or expect them to be the Rams who haven't had a 1st round pick in years, no, probably not....Buttttt as you can see, that can work.

I think there just needs to be balance.  This year wasn't the year to spend a ton of money because you don't really know what you already have. When you're just a few pieces away, which hopefully this year establishes that, then you spend the money. 

But yes, you gotta spend it wisely as well. Do I want them spending big money on a guy like Christian Kirk? No. But if guys like Metcalf, Deebo, or Q. Nelson become available? Guys with proven track records that still fit the window of what our window could be with Fields on his rookie contract, yes, do that. 

Correct,  this year will determine a lot at what direction we go. The difference with Poles he walks the talk , not just throwing words around. Pace made statements like, draft a QB every year and didn't do it. Poles does what he says he does. Pace made you scratch your head from the beginning. Don't remember the name but the guy that did contracts was great at it , Pace puts his guy in, Poles brings him back. He just seems more trustworthy than Pace was. You would never see him giving Glennon that contract, he might have brought him in but at 1/4 mil.

16 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Correct,  this year will determine a lot at what direction we go. The difference with Poles he walks the talk , not just throwing words around. Pace made statements like, draft a QB every year and didn't do it. Poles does what he says he does. Pace made you scratch your head from the beginning. Don't remember the name but the guy that did contracts was great at it , Pace puts his guy in, Poles brings him back. He just seems more trustworthy than Pace was. You would never see him giving Glennon that contract, he might have brought him in but at 1/4 mil.

I think Poles also mentioned something about rebuilding the OL and so far he's really only added one starter. I'm optimistic about Poles, but that's only because I really want to be optimistic.   We'll see what his approach is when he has 135M to play with. I'd be a little upset if he only targets the type of guys he did this year going forward.  It's a very boom or bust approach. As much as I've defended all of the wide receivers,  there's still some bust factor there too. 

All I'm saying is if a guy like Deebo or Metcalf  or Nelson, ya know, guys still in their prime, hit the market, Poles should jump next year. 

2 hours ago, scs787 said:

I think Poles also mentioned something about rebuilding the OL and so far he's really only added one starter. I'm optimistic about Poles, but that's only because I really want to be optimistic.   We'll see what his approach is when he has 135M to play with. I'd be a little upset if he only targets the type of guys he did this year going forward.  It's a very boom or bust approach. As much as I've defended all of the wide receivers,  there's still some bust factor there too. 

All I'm saying is if a guy like Deebo or Metcalf  or Nelson, ya know, guys still in their prime, hit the market, Poles should jump next year. 

I'm not sold that going big on a FA or two is the only path forward.  If Poles chooses he can do several extensions for our own players and front load their deals.  This could all be done in a creative way so that if you think Fields will be ready to take us deep into the playoffs in years 4 and 5 then we'd have more room to make that big splash signing or two to put us on top. 

Near term there are only 4 players deserving of big contracts in the next 2 years:  Roquan and Montgomery after 2022 season.  Jaylon Johnson, Mooney after 2023 season, and possibly Kmet could join them.   You would think Roquan and Johnson are keepers and Montgomery's story plays out over the year.  

Behind them are a host of short term or expiring in 2023 deals they could choose to extend early:  Morrow, Pringle, Angelo Blackson, AQ Muhammed, Cruikshank, Trevis Gipson, and Kmet (signed thru 2023).  If they see enough good from a few here they could choose to do early extensions and save cap space for 2025 when Fields might get his new deal.   

Poles and Eberflus have done enough to raise the talent floor to where they can evaluate the roster, including Fields, this year.  Bright stars among this cast (ala Mooney last year) will stand out.  They will also know who is bought into their program and is a leader they want to keep.       

Definitely not saying it's the only path. I want to see a balanced attack. I'm not trading picks for guys(yet anyway) and I'm not saying they shouldn't take chances on guys like Pringle either. I want a blend of all of it, draft picks, lottery pick signings, anddd a couple big marquee signings. 

10 hours ago, scs787 said:

If you notice, rarely do great players make it to FAgency, there are tagged or get traded. One yr is a small sample size to make predictions, but not paying big contracts on medium to above average players is a good thing. Making BPA is the right way even thou it I wanted other people. So far so good. As far as the Oline, Sam had a PFF rating of 47.8, Patrick was 72, upgrade plus he can direct the line in playing in the same scheme. PLUS   The highly regarded Jenkins, is put to RT , a position he has a better chance to succeed. This yr we complained when he didnt draft a 2nd round OL, Jenkins is that same person. Whitehair had an off year, the worst of his career. Chances of him being better is very good. That is 3 positions up graded. LT is a question and if he  okay with Borom ? but if not Fisher and Brown are still available. RG is a question. I dont think he is on the roster yet but maybe it is as simple as bringing Duane Brown in and moving Borom to RG. The thing to remember is , he's not done yet. We can be skeptical but until we see the first game starters its all a reach.  If you cant look at the changes as positive instead of tearing them apart, how good of a Bears fan are you ? Have fun or live in misery, I choose hope.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If you notice, rarely do great players make it to FAgency, there are tagged or get traded. One yr is a small sample size to make predictions, but not paying big contracts on medium to above average players is a good thing. Making BPA is the right way even thou it I wanted other people. So far so good. As far as the Oline, Sam had a PFF rating of 47.8, Patrick was 72, upgrade plus he can direct the line in playing in the same scheme. PLUS   The highly regarded Jenkins, is put to RT , a position he has a better chance to succeed. This yr we complained when he didnt draft a 2nd round OL, Jenkins is that same person. Whitehair had an off year, the worst of his career. Chances of him being better is very good. That is 3 positions up graded. LT is a question and if he  okay with Borom ? but if not Fisher and Brown are still available. RG is a question. I dont think he is on the roster yet but maybe it is as simple as bringing Duane Brown in and moving Borom to RG. The thing to remember is , he's not done yet. We can be skeptical but until we see the first game starters its all a reach.  If you cant look at the changes as positive instead of tearing them apart, how good of a Bears fan are you ? Have fun or live in misery, I choose hope.

I haven't ripped anything,  I've actually been accused of being too optimistic over on another board. We're just talking and I'm making parallels for reference sake. We don't know what Poles will do with 135M. Just because he didn't go fishing for whales this year doesn't mean he won't going forward.  Most good teams have spent some good money in free agency to supplement what they've done in the draft. 

7 hours ago, scs787 said:

I haven't ripped anything,  I've actually been accused of being too optimistic over on another board. We're just talking and I'm making parallels for reference sake. We don't know what Poles will do with 135M. Just because he didn't go fishing for whales this year doesn't mean he won't going forward.  Most good teams have spent some good money in free agency to supplement what they've done in the draft. 

He's going to spend money and he's not always going to shop at The Dollar Store, but he wont be the lead dog on huge contracts. I think an example of what he will do is like the Joe Noteboom signing. A young guy 27, with upside for 13.3 mil a yr. instead of a Cam Robinson at 17.5.

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

He's going to spend money and he's not always going to shop at The Dollar Store, but he wont be the lead dog on huge contracts. I think an example of what he will do is like the Joe Noteboom signing. A young guy 27, with upside for 13.3 mil a yr. instead of a Cam Robinson at 17.5.

To me this largely depends on who is available.  I know the chances of the top top guys, who are still young, hitting the market are slim, buy if they do, the Bears need to pounce. 

If a guy like Quinten Nelson hits the market,  there's no reason the Bears shouldn't be in on him. Same for guys like DK or Deebo(assuming he once again proves to be a stud.)

If the top guy is up there in age and the Bears are not close to contenders, then no, they shouldn't  be in on them. 

With all the talk about Herbert taking some carries from Monty, and me personally liking Ebner a ton, I've totally forgotten about Darrynton Evans being on this roster as well....Could he be a surprise? Former 3rd round pick, good speed at 4.41, and played an outside zone in college where he was dominate. He was stuck behind the work horse of all work horses in Derrick Henry. He could be a total sleeper here. 

59 minutes ago, scs787 said:

With all the talk about Herbert taking some carries from Monty, and me personally liking Ebner a ton, I've totally forgotten about Darrynton Evans being on this roster as well....Could he be a surprise? Former 3rd round pick, good speed at 4.41, and played an outside zone in college where he was dominate. He was stuck behind the work horse of all work horses in Derrick Henry. He could be a total sleeper here. 

Yeah we have a very solid RB room, Monty, Herbert, Ebner, Evans and Blasingame as FB. 

It's hard to say how much impact this could have on our offense but the supporting data in this article gives several reasons for hope.   We hear a lot of noise about our WR corps but looking at this year's version it's not really much different from last year at worst, and there's good reason to think the floor is higher. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/how-bears-have-made-it-easier-for-justin-fields  

I get bored so I have been watching highlights from our offensive playmakers. Monty is a very good RB and worth being on our team. Giving him 8-9 mil a yr new contract next yr would be worth it being we have so much cap room. Herbert showed well in a small sample size, I would not doubt if Ebner or Evans steals some snaps from him. Mooney is a budding star, Pringle will be a reliable #2 , Jones is a boom or bust and I have seen him compared to Percy Harvin. Havin's first yr stats: 60 recs-790 yds-6 TDs,  15 rushes for 135 yds, He was Offensive rookie of the year that yr. I think he can hit those marks. I also think one of the other WRs  will surprise David Moore-Tajae Sharpe-Dante Pettis. I think this is much more solid group than last year. We are FASTER and BIGGER. Mooney is 5-11, Pringle is 6-1, Jones 6-0, Moore is 6-0, Sharpe is 6-2, and Pettis is 6-1. Oh shit, I forgot St Brown 6-5.. Speed Jones-4.31, Mooney 4.38, Pringle 4.41, St Brown 4.48, Moore 4.38, Sharpe 4.55, and Pettis 4.32.     Cole Kmet should have a breakout year. Griffin and O'Shau sould be solid backups. I see all of this as positive and expect 8-9 wins this yr. 

56 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

It's hard to say how much impact this could have on our offense but the supporting data in this article gives several reasons for hope.   We hear a lot of noise about our WR corps but looking at this year's version it's not really much different from last year at worst, and there's good reason to think the floor is higher. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/how-bears-have-made-it-easier-for-justin-fields  

With all the Bear content I look at I have never noticed Bears Digest until you posted if before, I like the article.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I get bored so I have been watching highlights from our offensive playmakers. Monty is a very good RB and worth being on our team. Giving him 8-9 mil a yr new contract next yr would be worth it being we have so much cap room. Herbert showed well in a small sample size, I would not doubt if Ebner or Evans steals some snaps from him. Mooney is a budding star, Pringle will be a reliable #2 , Jones is a boom or bust and I have seen him compared to Percy Harvin. Havin's first yr stats: 60 recs-790 yds-6 TDs,  15 rushes for 135 yds, He was Offensive rookie of the year that yr. I think he can hit those marks. I also think one of the other WRs  will surprise David Moore-Tajae Sharpe-Dante Pettis. I think this is much more solid group than last year. We are FASTER and BIGGER. Mooney is 5-11, Pringle is 6-1, Jones 6-0, Moore is 6-0, Sharpe is 6-2, and Pettis is 6-1. Oh shit, I forgot St Brown 6-5.. Speed Jones-4.31, Mooney 4.38, Pringle 4.41, St Brown 4.48, Moore 4.38, Sharpe 4.55, and Pettis 4.32.     Cole Kmet should have a breakout year. Griffin and O'Shau sould be solid backups. I see all of this as positive and expect 8-9 wins this yr. 

What you list is why I feel like the floor or the WR group is higher than what we ran with last year.   We have similar athleticism but with bigger bodies and just a touch more consistency in production in Moore, Pringle, and then Jones is a much better prospect than Dazz.  To match ARob, all St Brown has to do is give us 400yds and 1 TD and I think we already know he's a better blocker than ARob.   Is it a big step up overall, no, but I feel confident the WR corps is better than last year.  They just need someone who can distribute the ball well.   

With all the talk about the pro or con with the different position groups, the key to this season is Justin Fields. I think he is capable of a Josh Allen type of step forward. He's intelligent, hard worker, and loves football. Everything needed to be a successful QB. I think our coaches now are capable of developing players, I couldn't say that last year.

On 5/28/2022 at 11:39 PM, scs787 said:

Honestly,  I'm not sure I'd like that. If Metcalf, a guy who is still going to be in his prime becomes available or a younger elite talent in their prime becomes available,  you should make that move. 

Never been a fan of this logic unless you can grab a proven franchise QB with obvious years to go. Kinda like Manning post-Indy.

It’s better to go after a team full of B+ guys and have no gaps than a few A+ guys (i.e. Mack) supported by C+ guys. I believe this is essentially the Bear Bryant theory to team-building. The team full of B+ guys make teammates look like A and A+ guys when they don’t have to worry about a bum-ass teammate like Jamarcus Webb always taking a wet dump on the play.

2 hours ago, jason said:

Never been a fan of this logic unless you can grab a proven franchise QB with obvious years to go. Kinda like Manning post-Indy.

It’s better to go after a team full of B+ guys and have no gaps than a few A+ guys (i.e. Mack) supported by C+ guys. I believe this is essentially the Bear Bryant theory to team-building. The team full of B+ guys make teammates look like A and A+ guys when they don’t have to worry about a bum-ass teammate like Jamarcus Webb always taking a wet dump on the play.

100%

9 hours ago, jason said:

Ehhhhh, look at what the Rams did this past year, and the Bucs the year before spent money, and it goes on and on. You obviously want to build through the draft, but when the time comes to push your team over the top, you do it..... The Packers are one of those teams that almost exclusively build through the draft. They've had the best QB of the last decade or so and won a grand total of 1 super bowl with him.

9 hours ago, jason said:

The modern day purists to that analogy are the Patriots, Packers, Colts and Steelers.  Although none have won the Superbowl lately, they are highly regarded as solid franchises and usually competitive.  I hope Poles is great at talent eval, because I love his plan.  As a Bears lifer, I saw 1982 as the beginning of something great and see the same thing now.  I really want to be right about this, not only for all Bears fans, but to selfishly validate that my years as a fan and player gave me some wisdom and insight into team building.

In conclusion, I found it hilarious that you will never let Jamarcus Webb off the hate wagon, as mine is Charles Martin...😤

After hearing about the progress of Braxton Jones and then watching his time at the podium (see below), I am going with him as a surprise on offense. If Charles Leno can go from 7th Rounder to Pro Bowl and other guys like Terron Armstead can go from small school to All Pro, why not Braxton Jones? He talks about how he didn't use his hands/arms that much in college and still was one of the best tackles from a smaller school.