Biggest Surprise on Defense in 2022

scs787

We've had discussions about our biggest surprise on offense, now let's get defensive...My biggest surprise will be Mario Edward's Jr. I think his name has sort of gotten forgoten here the past few years with the likes of Hicks, Goldman, and Nichols also being really good. I think right now he's the starting 3 technique and has a really good year. 

I totally forgot that dude ran a 4.84 40, so the explosion is there to be a upfield 3T.

I'm not so sure Trevis Gipson can be considered a surprise to any Bear Fan. I honestly believe Gipson will break out with double digit sacks and give us better production than K Mack did during his last two years. "IF" we don't trade Quinn, they will make a very good pair of pass rushers for our D.

4 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I'm not so sure Trevis Gipson can be considered a surprise to any Bear Fan. I honestly believe Gipson will break out with double digit sacks and give us better production than K Mack did during his last two years. "IF" we don't trade Quinn, they will make a very good pair of pass rushers for our D.

I could definitely see Gipson take another leap. 

I don't mind keeping Quinn around for a bit. He seems to be a good teammate, and a solid veteran to learn from for a guy like Dom Robinson. 

The DL has some flop potential,  like if Quinn falls off a cliff, but its got someeee upside. 

Quinn-Edwards-Jones-Gibson. It isn't loaded with star power but it could be pretty decent. 

Biggest surprise on defense will be Eddie Jackson making an open field tackle.  Naturally that's some of my typical sarcasm but for me I do think that the surrounding cast of DBs  (Johnson, Brisker, Gordon, and then players fighting for starting roles in Cruikshank and Graham) help Jackson return to form.  Add in the coaches who are much better enforcing on-field discipline (know-your-job do-your-job stuff) and the simplified scheme.   

Along with that is the fact Brisker is much more likely to provide the leadership Jackson needs to have supporting him on the field.  As in "you go do this...I got your back".  

I was going to say Morrow, nobody is talking about him and he will be the second on the team in tackles this year but Edwards will be the biggest surprise because no one is expecting anything from him. The 3 T is a prime position on this D and he has some talent for that spot. I can see them playing Jones at  NT with Edwards along side. We have a 3 spot edge with Quinn, Gipson and QMo that will not disappoint. I look at all these adds by  Poles as a positive. We can be 3-1 after our first 4  games and the doomsayers will be silenced.

I think the individual surprise will be Edwards. He'll come out of nowhere and put up good stats.

I also think the team surprise will be how poorly the defense plays, and that the offense will be forced to carry the team for a change.

10 minutes ago, jason said:

I think the individual surprise will be Edwards. He'll come out of nowhere and put up good stats.

I also think the team surprise will be how poorly the defense plays, and that the defense will be forced to carry the team for a change.

Both sides of the ball have the chance to be mediocre,  but I kinda go back and forth on which side I like more. 

If Quinn remains healthy and Gipson translates well to the 4-3, the ends can be very solid. The guy from Indy and Dom Robinson provide good rotational depth.... Justin Jones can be a good nose tackle, and I do think Tonga has some real upside there as well. If Edward's can be that surprise we think he can be, that's not a bad front 4. 

Roquan and Morrow have the potential to be really dynamic with the speed they have. I think we'll see Dane in there a ton and probably more than whoever the 3rd LB end up being. If he can continue to be the "Tight end eraser" that's a huge plus in today's NFL. 

The secondary just all depends on how well the rookies perform. Johnsons gonna be fine and still has #1 potential. Cooper Kupp said Johnson was one of his toughest matchups of the year last year. Can Eddie Jackson be EJax again? With Dane taking on the role of shutting down TEs and Brisker playing an enforcer role,  Jackson can play the role of a roving ball hawk.  

If Flus is a good coach, this defense will be fine. 

I'm hoping for a defensive lineman to step up.  My biggest concern is that we are going to get gashed in the run game.  Whether it be lack of experience or pure talent, Quinn has never been a good run player, Tonga and Gipson are unproven and Edwards is a retread.  The start of this season is going to be rough, due to both lines needing to gel and neither is highly pedigreed.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm hoping for a defensive lineman to step up.  My biggest concern is that we are going to get gashed in the run game.  Whether it be lack of experience or pure talent, Quinn has never been a good run player, Tonga and Gipson are unproven and Edwards is a retread.  The start of this season is going to be rough, due to both lines needing to gel and neither is highly pedigreed.

This scheme, if similar DE assignment to what Lovie ran, should fit Quinn's desire to hit the outside rush lane and pick up the runner along the way.  He'll just have to reserve his occasional inside moves for passing downs.  

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

This scheme, if similar DE assignment to what Lovie ran, should fit Quinn's desire to hit the outside rush lane and pick up the runner along the way.  He'll just have to reserve his occasional inside moves for passing downs.  

Unfortunately, he's played in a 4-3 before and is + against the pass and - - against the run.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Unfortunately, he's played in a 4-3 before and is + against the pass and - - against the run.

Not all 4-3 are created equal.  We've had 4-3 schemes in the past that were purely 2-gap schemes on the Dline.  I don't know what version of 4-3 Quinn played in but yes he's always been focused on finding the QB.    

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Not all 4-3 are created equal.  We've had 4-3 schemes in the past that were purely 2-gap schemes on the Dline.  I don't know what version of 4-3 Quinn played in but yes he's always been focused on finding the QB.    

In every 4-3 defense, the entire defensive line has the same gap and edge containment responsibilities in the run game. (Only stunting and blitzing change that)

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

In every 4-3 defense, the entire defensive line has the same gap and edge containment responsibilities in the run game. (Only stunting and blitzing change that)

some 4-3 defenses are one gap defenses, and some are two gap defenses. Even within a cover 2 scheme. When Ted Washington glommed up the middle to allow Urlacher to flow, that was a 2 gap defense. When Warren Sapp penetrated his gap, that was a one gap defense.

24 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

some 4-3 defenses are one gap defenses, and some are two gap defenses. Even within a cover 2 scheme. When Ted Washington glommed up the middle to allow Urlacher to flow, that was a 2 gap defense. When Warren Sapp penetrated his gap, that was a one gap defense.

Still the same gaps, no matter what they attempt to consume.  We are not discussing linebacker responsibilities.  This conversation got stuck on Quinn, but the other three DL are less proven than he is...

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Still the same gaps, no matter what they attempt to consume.  We are not discussing linebacker responsibilities.  This conversation got stuck on Quinn, but the other three DL are less proven than he is...

not sure what youre saying.

in a one gap front, each DL fills a gap and penetrates, in a two gap front, each DL holds his OL in front of him and plays both gaps. the responsibilities of the DL are totally different.

SO in a one gap or a two gap front the DL responsibilities are not the same as you said.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Looking at some tape today, and Morrow really looks good. I think he will be a positive surprise for us on D.

He should be ok, very similar to Roquan in coverage which is not a bad thing but I think Roquan is more physical around the LOS.  It is the 3rd LB and NB where the questions start.  And we really know nothing about our depth at LB.    

16 hours ago, AZ54 said:

He should be ok, very similar to Roquan in coverage which is not a bad thing but I think Roquan is more physical around the LOS.  It is the 3rd LB and NB where the questions start.  And we really know nothing about our depth at LB.    

Assuming Flus runs it close to what he did in Indy, the 3rd LB is not gonna be out there a ton.. Their top 2 LBs play 98 and 91% of the snaps. Then they had 2 other guys play 18 and 13% at the LB position. Assuming they always had 2 guys out there, that means they only had 3 guys out there 20% of the time. 

I expect/hope to see Dane(one day I'll decide to learn his last name) out there a ton in a LB-esque type role mainly covering TEs. NB has some options with Young, Vildor, and Graham. 

50 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Assuming Flus runs it close to what he did in Indy, the 3rd LB is not gonna be out there a ton.. Their top 2 LBs play 98 and 91% of the snaps. Then they had 2 other guys play 18 and 13% at the LB position. Assuming they always had 2 guys out there, that means they only had 3 guys out there 20% of the time. 

I expect/hope to see Dane(one day I'll decide to learn his last name) out there a ton in a LB-esque type role mainly covering TEs. NB has some options with Young, Vildor, and Graham. 

I understand the SLB position gets few snaps and at a minimum IMO Sanborn could play well enough but who steps in if Roquan or Morrow are injured?   Like any roster  rebuild there are depth questions all over the place but this might the biggest question.   Even on the Oline we can sort of figure out top depth players even if they might be rookies.   

Caleb Johnson is very athletic and could be a backup ILB but we'll see if he's ready to play.  He was lost on the field last year.  

14 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I understand the SLB position gets few snaps and at a minimum IMO Sanborn could play well enough but who steps in if Roquan or Morrow are injured?   Like any roster  rebuild there are depth questions all over the place but this might the biggest question.   Even on the Oline we can sort of figure out top depth players even if they might be rookies.   

Caleb Johnson is very athletic and could be a backup ILB but we'll see if he's ready to play.  He was lost on the field last year.  

Oh no doubt, the depth there is not very good. Or at least doesn't look good on paper. Attaochu has shown flashes of being solid, and I do think Sanborn could come in and be one of those underrated "Unathletic" guys who have a good career in the NFL.