Camp notes

Stinger226

Yes I forgot TEs (it was late).  I do like what I've seen from Kmet and I think our backups are solid enough to contribute in a run focused attack with an occasional reception.  

As for the WRs...there are just too many unknowns.  I like what I'm hearing about ESB in redzone sets where he and Fields seem to be building a good connection.  Harry too.  Velus has had some drops but given the limited role I expect he'll have in the offense I think he'll be ok.  Pringle has also had some drops.  It's still early in camp but we definitely need someone else to start standing out more consistently besides Mooney.   I agree with the sentiment that our RBs will be big contributors in the passing game especially early on.  That might be something we don't see much of in preseason to keep teams guessing a bit early in the season.  

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, GakMan23 said:

I figured if he stuck around with the 1's into the backend of this week then this relationship was getting serious.  Seems some others are starting to feel the same way.  At this point they've given him the first 3 padded practices as starting LT.  Those are very valuable reps against our Dline.  I'm not seeing a lot of negative info on his play the last couple days, nothing much positive either but we kinda like our Oline not to get noticed.  

I heard this from Mooney during his press conference that these coaches plan for the scramble drill and they actually practice it.  It wasn't that way last year. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/what-darnell-mooney-thinks-the-bears-no-longer-ignore

What a damning statement about Nagy to have no plan for QB scrambles and what WRs should do.  That happened over the timeframe when they had 2 mobile QBs who could scramble in Trubisky and then Fields.   The attention to detail with this new staff is on another level, maybe even 2 floors up (from the basement?).   They ran plays today against the scout team defense so they could prepare for teams running 3-4 fronts.  That in itself might not be so surprising but they are doing it relatively early in camp when so many positions are still up in the air.    

Also the practice cadence is higher in all aspects even transitions from drill to drill.  Within that they are simulating game scenarios with active substitutions "on the clock".  I don't know if they are running shorter practices which could mean getting the same reps in less time, or if they are fitting in more reps in the same timeframe.   Mooney also added that these coaches give them more time at night to relax so the long meeting schedules into the night are a thing of the past, maybe last scheduled activity ends at 6 or 6:30pm.  That time was helping him to digest the new offense, review film or playbook and get prepared for the next day.  

Several players commented that Friday's practice was the most challenging practice they've ever been through.  I'm sure they'll back off tomorrow for the private practice and then ramp up again on Sun when the fans return.  Family Fest is Tue night so it will be interesting to see how they handle that and then Chiefs game at noon Sat.  

Most of the top rated LTs are first round picks but out of the top 10 rated there are 3 that were drafted 4th round, 4th round and 3rd round. Lane Johnson, David Bakhtiari and Terron Armstead. So it is not impossible to find a star in later picks. Time will tell if Jones ends up very good, but its a good start to his career. Poles is still a big question mark as far as being a good drafter but with Gordon, Brisker, Jones and Jones, Robinson, Ebner and Kramer,  he looks like he will be good at it. 

Something I heard from Efus was that he was going to play projected starters in the preseason to try to get them ready for the opener. So far Efus is doing a excellent  job of motivating players and keeping it real in practice. Reiff 's contract is based on snaps, if he gets under 10% of OL snaps, he only gets 3 mil for the year. So it is not beyond the thought that he doesnt start the season as the starter. I think him  and Schofield were brought in to add depth and start if the young guys dont prove they are worthy. I think is the young guys show up, they will start. 

There have been so many red flags with Nagy, once the glow of 2018 wore off, it was clear he was not the guy. 

Even with his press conferences, it was always jibber jabber, like an actor playing a coach. I always felt it was off. Then in the different offseasons, there was the kicking competition, that seemed to take priority over other things. 

Not doing any scramble drills? Not running scout team until the week prior? No wonder the offense was always underperforming. 

I feel like coaching and scheme alone are going to make this team improve a game or two. Nagy was that bad.

5 hours ago, adam said:

There have been so many red flags with Nagy, once the glow of 2018 wore off, it was clear he was not the guy. 

Even with his press conferences, it was always jibber jabber, like an actor playing a coach. I always felt it was off. Then in the different offseasons, there was the kicking competition, that seemed to take priority over other things. 

Not doing any scramble drills? Not running scout team until the week prior? No wonder the offense was always underperforming. 

I feel like coaching and scheme alone are going to make this team improve a game or two. Nagy was that bad.

yes, some coaches are good coaches, or great coaches, and some are just not that good. Nagy wasnt any of those, he is a fake. He didnt fail at being a head coach. if they didnt run scramble drills, he WASNT a coach.

15 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yes, some coaches are good coaches, or great coaches, and some are just not that good. Nagy wasnt any of those, he is a fake. He didnt fail at being a head coach. if they didnt run scramble drills, he WASNT a coach.

Yeah I agree. I think his ceiling is QB Coach and he was promoted 2 levels above his mental capacity. You could tell he was overwhelmed. They won in 2018 due to Fangio. Once he left, Nagy's Bears did nothing. Nagy mishandled Mitch and Justin, and he was a former QB, that is unfathomable. 

Another aspect of the team that is overlooked is the coaches. We have an upgrade at pretty much every coaching position on the team. That may not increase the team's ceiling, but it will increase the floor. 

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2022/8/7/23295765/chicago-bears-practice-participation-update-for-august-7

"The Chicago Bears canceled the public portion of today's training camp practice due to inclement weather, but they did hold a 90-minute practice inside Halas Hall with no pads. Here's a list of the Bears that did not practice. Note that Teven Jenkins did participate for a second consecutive day, and left tackle Braxton Jones was back (in full) after missing some time yesterday."

With the coaches easing off the practice today (no pads) and a day off tomorrow I expect it'll be high intensity during the Tue Family Fest.  Then they'll dial it back a bit as they head toward the Sat game against KC.  

31 minutes ago, adam said:

It looks like Harry's injury is serious, probably out for the year (or most of it).  I wonder if Poles will bring someone else in like Emmanuel Sanders, Adam Humphries, Will Fuller, Kenny Stills, or Cole Beasley?

Where did you see that?   One report said high ankle sprain so figure 6 to 8 weeks

35 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Where did you see that?   One report said high ankle sprain so figure 6 to 8 weeks

You are correct, they updated their stories. It went from this tweet, then others said severe as well and could be season ending:

Now they are all back tracking.

High ankle sprain is 6-8 weeks like you said, so he could miss the first 4 weeks of the season. At that point, would he be that much better than Sharpe that you would want to bring him off IR and bump someone like Sharpe off the roster? I just don't think he is that high up on the depth chart to matter. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

You are correct, they updated their stories. It went from this tweet, then others said severe as well and could be season ending:

Now they are all back tracking.

High ankle sprain is 6-8 weeks like you said, so he could miss the first 4 weeks of the season. At that point, would he be that much better than Sharpe that you would want to bring him off IR and bump someone like Sharpe off the roster? I just don't think he is that high up on the depth chart to matter. 

That will be discussed no doubt.  However, for a team that seems bound to focus on the running game all season I think having one of the NFL's best blocking WRs available to them is something they will want.  I believe that was at the forefront for making the trade, call it the floor (we'll at least get this),  and then seeing what they could get out of him as a WR. 

I watch a lot of the press conferences and one of the players (maybe it was Blasingame) mentioned that they run drills where 3 WRs on one side of the line all focus on run blocking.  If you are willing to devote valuable padded practice snaps to that it's important to you.  Harry should be capable of adding as much receiving as someone  like Sharpe and he should be a better redzone target with his size.    Worst case the redzone skills are a wash versus Sharpe.   Last year Sharpe had 230yds and 0 TDs.  Start from there and then who is more likely to help us get more rushing TDs?  

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

That will be discussed no doubt.  However, for a team that seems bound to focus on the running game all season I think having one of the NFL's best blocking WRs available to them is something they will want.  I believe that was at the forefront for making the trade, call it the floor (we'll at least get this),  and then seeing what they could get out of him as a WR. 

I watch a lot of the press conferences and one of the players (maybe it was Blasingame) mentioned that they run drills where 3 WRs on one side of the line all focus on run blocking.  If you are willing to devote valuable padded practice snaps to that it's important to you.  Harry should be capable of adding as much receiving as someone  like Sharpe and he should be a better redzone target with his size.    Worst case the redzone skills are a wash versus Sharpe.   Last year Sharpe had 230yds and 0 TDs.  Start from there and then who is more likely to help us get more rushing TDs?  

Good point. I guess it comes down to overall value, including Special Teams. 

Harry was an add-on so they already got who they wanted before. Sharpe is a bigger body WR, so should be next in line behind EQB . Injuries will just move the next guy up. If Pringle isn't ready, V. Jones will just be the starter. May open the door for Finke to make a roster spot.

Now David Moore, who was fighting for the last WR spot:

So it looks like Mooney, Pringle, ESB, Jones, and probably Sharpe as your top 5. Dazz Newsome or Dante Pettis as WR6 if they go with 6. Harry starts season on IR.

I think the most logical choice to cover the WR depth gap for the first part of the season is Trestan Ebner.   He already runs routes like a WR, he has hands as good as a WR, and he's fast.   Mooney, ESB, Velus, Sharpe, and Ebner.  Figure it out when Pringle returns and then Harry later.   

I'm not saying Ebner switches to WR full time just that in a limited role like Cohen did, Getsy can motion him outside, even to the X position in a few spots.  Putting him in the huddle without knowing where he lines up means the defense has to react after they line up.  Does that huddle also include a FB?   When Ebner comes in do they sub in as well?  Are they putting a LB or NB on him or keeping one of the outside CBs on him?    Do they slide a safety over the top?  Let Getsy see how the defense matches up because it might give us some big play opportunities.  I'm optimistic that for once we have an OC who can figure out where we have mismatches in our favor and exploit it.  

31 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Run him out of the slot. He's about the same size as V. Jones. They will be running a lot of 12 sets, (2 TEs) and using a FB so they can get by with limited WRs.

I agree, that's the best option with the 2-way go on his cuts and what we're most likely to see.  

20 hours ago, adam said:

Now David Moore, who was fighting for the last WR spot:

So it looks like Mooney, Pringle, ESB, Jones, and probably Sharpe as your top 5. Dazz Newsome or Dante Pettis as WR6 if they go with 6. Harry starts season on IR.

Newsome might get the spot since he was listed as the #1PR on the recent depth chart, so if that stands that gives him a leg up on the roster spot.