Camp notes

Stinger226

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Fields and the offense had another good day.  Not perfect but definitely moving in the right direction and even better is this is now a couple good practices in a row.  Need one more data point like this to make a trend but that will have to happen on Sat against KC.    

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/bears-training-camp-takeaways-day-13/

It’s safe to say that the Bears defense has “won” most of these training camp practices this summer. But the offense certainly stepped up on Thursday with what many were calling their best practice in a long time.

My overall observation from today's game is that we looked....organized.   For an entirely new staff the usual hiccups we saw during the Nagy years with player substitutions, late play calls, blown assignments, and then even just executing plays seemed pretty smooth.  Execution was perfect at all times for sure but for me this was a positive sign with this coaching staff. 

Braxton Jones looked like belonged.  I was surprised by how well he played overall even if not perfect.  For a 5th Rd rookie in his first NFL action it was clear he belonged on the field.  

During the draft we had multiple conversation about grabbing one of the hustle type LBs late.  We ended up with Sanborn as UDFA but he always seemed to be at the right spot and wasn't chasing plays.  He also had some standout plays on special teams.  Pretty good for a UDFA and I like his chances to make the 53.

I watched Micah Dew-Treadway a bit since he was surprisingly listed as a 2nd string DT but saw nothing to make me think he's more than a practice squad player.   While Treadway was struggling to get past the LOS some guy named Coley who I never heard of kept making plays in the backfield.  Overall though the DTs didn't impress me at all and I think we're going to struggle with consistency here all season long.  Nobody is surprised by that and this will be high on the needs list next offseason.  

DEs on the other hand have me optimistic.  AQM and Gipson looked good.  When we add Quinn to the mix we'll have a solid 3-man rotation.  The surprising rookie had a splash play but IMO beyond that his inexperience showed every time he was engaged with an OT.   I like his potential and so we'll see what he learns between now and the next game.  

Ebner on his first return was impressive cutting at speed.  Few players can get to the edge and then turn upfield at speed like he did.  Darrynton Evans has an uphill battle to make the roster with Ebner around.  

Sharpe made a great catch.  He wasn''t able to run away from the DB but if he can keep using his body positioning to his advantage he can be productive.  

Fields looked good overall, maybe a touch slow reading things.  Give all the backups he was working with at WR and (all) TEs.  While there were struggles I go back to my first comment with organization and this felt like how an NFL offense should be run. Get plays in, get out of the huddle early, and then  Just need it turn into better execution.     

9 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

My overall observation from today's game is that we looked....organized.   For an entirely new staff the usual hiccups we saw during the Nagy years with player substitutions, late play calls, blown assignments, and then even just executing plays seemed pretty smooth.  Execution was perfect at all times for sure but for me this was a positive sign with this coaching staff. 

Braxton Jones looked like belonged.  I was surprised by how well he played overall even if not perfect.  For a 5th Rd rookie in his first NFL action it was clear he belonged on the field.  

During the draft we had multiple conversation about grabbing one of the hustle type LBs late.  We ended up with Sanborn as UDFA but he always seemed to be at the right spot and wasn't chasing plays.  He also had some standout plays on special teams.  Pretty good for a UDFA and I like his chances to make the 53.

I watched Micah Dew-Treadway a bit since he was surprisingly listed as a 2nd string DT but saw nothing to make me think he's more than a practice squad player.   While Treadway was struggling to get past the LOS some guy named Coley who I never heard of kept making plays in the backfield.  Overall though the DTs didn't impress me at all and I think we're going to struggle with consistency here all season long.  Nobody is surprised by that and this will be high on the needs list next offseason.  

DEs on the other hand have me optimistic.  AQM and Gipson looked good.  When we add Quinn to the mix we'll have a solid 3-man rotation.  The surprising rookie had a splash play but IMO beyond that his inexperience showed every time he was engaged with an OT.   I like his potential and so we'll see what he learns between now and the next game.  

Ebner on his first return was impressive cutting at speed.  Few players can get to the edge and then turn upfield at speed like he did.  Darrynton Evans has an uphill battle to make the roster with Ebner around.  

Sharpe made a great catch.  He wasn''t able to run away from the DB but if he can keep using his body positioning to his advantage he can be productive.  

Fields looked good overall, maybe a touch slow reading things.  Give all the backups he was working with at WR and (all) TEs.  While there were struggles I go back to my first comment with organization and this felt like how an NFL offense should be run. Get plays in, get out of the huddle early, and then  Just need it turn into better execution.     

well said. Id add that the DTs looked better than I was worried they might. I dont see this team winning a ton of games, but it is a solid beginning to build on.

I thought Schofield looked awful, so Im hoping Jenkins is willing and effective at RG.

My biggest concern was with the DTs out of all positions. Jones, Tonga, Blackson will make the roster. That leaves one spot open. It will between Coley and Pennel, imo. This isn't A great group but I think they will be solid. I don't think we will be great with our run defense, but it could  be good enough with our strengths at DE and speed LBs moving to the ball. DEs are a strength , Quinn, Gipson and Q Muhammad will be stout. Edwards is here, so he probably is the 4th play in. Robinson may force them to keep 5 which seems likely. Defense is going to surprise the League, with its chemistry and up tick in TOs. 

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

My biggest concern was with the DTs out of all positions. Jones, Tonga, Blackson will make the roster. That leaves one spot open. It will between Coley and Pennel, imo. This isn't A great group but I think they will be solid. I don't think we will be great with our run defense, but it could  be good enough with our strengths at DE and speed LBs moving to the ball. DEs are a strength , Quinn, Gipson and Q Muhammad will be stout. Edwards is here, so he probably is the 4th play in. Robinson may force them to keep 5 which seems likely. Defense is going to surprise the League, with its chemistry and up tick in TOs. 

With below average interior play against he run I think we need to be prepared for the return of bend but don't break.   I don't see us forcing many 3 and outs.  Just wait for the turnover, drive killing penalty, or a 3rd and long situation.  The back 7 is good enough that we should get a few PBUs that force teams into a 3rd and long and at least give the strength of our Dline, the edge rush, a shot at making a play.   Don't give up the big plays.  

23 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

well said. Id add that the DTs looked better than I was worried they might. I dont see this team winning a ton of games, but it is a solid beginning to build on.

I thought Schofield looked awful, so Im hoping Jenkins is willing and effective at RG.

Schofield had 1 or 2 bad plays. Probably rusty. He also let up a sack against one of the best DL in the league. He definitely needs to get better, but I think he will with more time in the offense.

7 minutes ago, adam said:

Schofield had 1 or 2 bad plays. Probably rusty. He also let up a sack against one of the best DL in the league. He definitely needs to get better, but I think he will with more time in the offense.

hope so - when I see it, I wont fight it! I am rooting for everyone to be great, but until I see it, Ill have questions :)

Jenkins getting work at RG. I think that is a great fit. A line of Jones-Whitehair-Patrick-Jenkins-Borom/Reiff with Schofield and Mustipher as your other primary backups would be pretty solid.

It will be nice to see the full offense with Monty, Kmet, Griffin, Pringle and Jones, all who didn't play against the Chiefs, who look to be 5 of Fields top 8 targets. 

3 hours ago, lemonej said:

I was impressed with Tristan Ebner, Jaquan Brisker, Jack Sanborn and of course Braxton Jones.

Yeah I agree, don't forget Robinson who they had practicing across from Quinn today and the new punter Gill who almost had every punt inside the 20. Crazy rookie class if a few of these guys stick as starters. I feel like Brisker, Gordon, Jones, and Gill will be Week 1 starters with Ebner, Hicks, Robinson, and Sanborn being key contributors. That would be an impressive class.

For non-rookies, Sharpe and Trevon Cole really stood out with splash plays.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Yeah I agree, don't forget Robinson who they had practicing across from Quinn today and the new punter Gill who almost had every punt inside the 20. Crazy rookie class if a few of these guys stick as starters. I feel like Brisker, Gordon, Jones, and Gill will be Week 1 starters with Ebner, Hicks, Robinson, and Sanborn being key contributors. That would be an impressive class.

For non-rookies, Sharpe and Trevon Cole really stood out with splash plays.

Sure looks a lot different than a Pace draft.

Starters from this  years class, B Jones, Brisker, Gordon, Gill, .

Major contributors : V. Jones, Ebner, Robinson

Potential future starters, Kramer, J. Carter, .

Everyone will make roster or practice squad.

UDFA that could make roster.  Jack Sanborn and Chase Allen.

This could turn out to be one of the best ever draft classes.