Camp notes

Stinger226

You do not have to report what injury a player has to be put on the PUP list. If they dont require it , its not breaking any rules. Flus was evasive because he's not injured. Poles is doing Smith a favor to avoid fining him for not practicing, a NFL rule. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Did see that speculation elsewhere. The article I read continued the thought that would be skirting the rules and may not be wise considering they got “caught” doing contact drills earlier when they weren’t supposed to.  The article continued that may not be a good idea for a new admin. 

At the end of the day, it’s probably not a big deal.  Flus’ being a little bit evasive for the reason caught people’s attention.  Maybe worth monitoring, maybe not. 

In one of the press conference questions a reporter mentioned that this "hold-in" was becoming more common since the recent changes in the CBA, and asked Flus if that is what Roquan was doing?   I have no clue what they were talking about because if there were something official like that where a player could attend practices but not participate if they chose then it seems they would just say it upfront.  Maybe someone else knows more on that.     

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

You do not have to report what injury a player has to be put on the PUP list. If they dont require it , its not breaking any rules. Flus was evasive because he's not injured. Poles is doing Smith a favor to avoid fining him for not practicing, a NFL rule. 

Maybe this is the CBA change the reporter was talking about?  

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I may be thinking to far ahead, but is anyone going to have a problem paying Fields 50 mil in 3 yrs? And Mooney 22 mil? 

Definitely thinking way too far ahead but let's ask it this way... after all these decades of hope, do you think there is one Bear fan on the planet who would not be willing to pay top dollar for one of the NFLs best QBs?   Whether or not Fields attains that status is up to him.  

When Patrick left the field injured it was interesting to see him replaced by the rookie Kramer.  This doesn't mean Mustipher isn't an option at C if he makes the final roster but any sentiment (from Olin Kreutz) that Mustipher will slide over to be the starting C seems like wishful thinking.  

N'Keal Harry had a couple drops today.  After catching marshmallows from Mac Jones for a year I can forgive him for a little bit while he adjusts to a ball with a lot more velocity on it.   

There's chatter about the nice catch from Fields to Mooney deep in the middle of the field.   For me the best part of that play was Fields sensing the pressure coming from his right side and sliding left in the pocket to buy enough time to release that pass...and he released that pass without resetting his feet.  That kind of  movement around the pocket is not something I recall last year.  It's still early and with no pads there isn't much of a pass rush per se.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Eddie Jackson was called out by Flus’ for “loafing” during came day 2.  Jackson later commented that he was good with being put on notice.  
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/eddie-jackson-got-the-wrath-of-matt-eberflus-at-latest-practice/

The fact remains that isn’t leading from the front like he said he wants to do.   I listened to his press conference he didn’t own up to loafing. Part of being a leader is admitting when you are wrong and taking ownership to make sure it doesn’t happen again.  This will be his last year with us.  When the coaches put him on punt returns on the first day that was a message to him that he isn’t that valuable.  

He will have a rude awaking , he will lose his job. It happens a lot when some players get paid, they relax. That is what I like about Flus, its pay the price, or sit your butt. Never thought of it, but putting him in punt returns does make a statement.

Eddie Jackson is similar to Eddie Goldman. Got his " Bag" and then smooth sailing.

He has been riding that 2018 season for 3 years. The team needs to see that no one is above the team and show your worth on the field and not in the media. 

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

This sucks but it's early enough where he can be back by the regular season and it gives Kramer a chance to get a ton of reps. 

Peace

They seem to be leaving Mustifer at OG instead of sliding him over .  Lots of reports that Justin Fields has regularly displayed his shortened windup and quicker throws. That will be a huge difference in his game.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

They seem to be leaving Mustifer at OG instead of sliding him over .  Lots of reports that Justin Fields has regularly displayed his shortened windup and quicker throws. That will be a huge difference in his game.

2 days in a row the rookie Kramer got to step in a C with the 1s.   Mustipher got some snaps with the 1s at C later in practice.  Long way to go in this battle and you'd expect the guy who can play 2 positions has the edge for the final roster.  

13 hours ago, AZ54 said:

The fact remains that isn’t leading from the front like he said he wants to do.   I listened to his press conference he didn’t own up to loafing. Part of being a leader is admitting when you are wrong and taking ownership to make sure it doesn’t happen again.  This will be his last year with us.  When the coaches put him on punt returns on the first day that was a message to him that he isn’t that valuable.  

I am all in on cutting Eddie Jackson to make yet another example.  There are hungry dudes out there that want a fraction of the money he's making.  His teammates are probably, quietly, sick of his BS play anyway.

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

2 days in a row the rookie Kramer got to step in a C with the 1s.   Mustipher got some snaps with the 1s at C later in practice.  Long way to go in this battle and you'd expect the guy who can play 2 positions has the edge for the final roster.  

Looks as though they’re doing some mixing and matching.  Today both Whitehair and Reiff were given the day off.  Jenkins missed a second (?) day of practice for undisclosed reasons.  And of course Patrick has a hand injury. Read somewhere else it may be a broken thumb.  
https://www.chicagobears.com/news/improved-depth-up-front-paying-dividends-for-bears-rookie-offensive-linemen

Is this dejavu.   Last year we had no Idea who our Of line would b at the start of training camp..  When they should be cementing the starting five and getting a whole camp of cohesion they are still trying four rookies a 2nd year 5th and sixth round players and 7th round pick..  And a second year of their 2nd round pick not playing.  Running a bunch of others in different formations.  So they will wait till preseason to even try and set an OF line.  At some point sooner rather than later, pick 5 and some backups and deal with injuries as they happen.  Isn't cohesion on the OF line more important then the parts?  Why is a guy named pig still on the roster let alone getting any reps with any line?  The next two years are going to be nothing more than an audition for 24-25.  After 60 years of Bear fandom I am again pessimistic and broken.  Now they will get a good OF line and make sound like an idiot.  Not last year though.

7 hours ago, Bill said:

Is this dejavu.   Last year we had no Idea who our Of line would b at the start of training camp..  When they should be cementing the starting five and getting a whole camp of cohesion they are still trying four rookies a 2nd year 5th and sixth round players and 7th round pick..  And a second year of their 2nd round pick not playing.  Running a bunch of others in different formations.  So they will wait till preseason to even try and set an OF line.  At some point sooner rather than later, pick 5 and some backups and deal with injuries as they happen.  Isn't cohesion on the OF line more important then the parts?  Why is a guy named pig still on the roster let alone getting any reps with any line?  The next two years are going to be nothing more than an audition for 24-25.  After 60 years of Bear fandom I am again pessimistic and broken.  Now they will get a good OF line and make sound like an idiot.  Not last year though.

I think being a new regime and the many moving parts they need to get the best 5 players figured out and then keep them together. They have not identified them yet. The cohesion will come once its set. If they just go with a lineup , you will end up with a German Ifed starting and they need to have the best players playing.