Camp notes

Stinger226

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Starters from this  years class, B Jones, Brisker, Gordon, Gill, .

Major contributors : V. Jones, Ebner, Robinson

Potential future starters, Kramer, J. Carter, .

Everyone will make roster or practice squad.

UDFA that could make roster.  Jack Sanborn and Chase Allen.

This could turn out to be one of the best ever draft classes.

I don't think Dom Robinson is going to be a major contributor.  I'm not even sure he'll be active on game days.  He has to show a lot more than sacking QBs when he's not blocked. 

Ja'Tyre Carter has held up well physically at RG though it appears more time is needed to adjust to the NFL game.  I could see him on the practice squad this year, maybe on the 53 if we keep 9, and then replacing Whitehair next year.   I like what Greg Gabriel said about hiding him the rest of the preseason so we can sneak him onto the practice squad.  I don't think that's what Eberflus will do so they just might let him compete for the starting role.   Schofield has a huge advantage to make the final roster with his versatility but someone named Jenkins at RG could replace that soon.    Watch carefully the snaps these three players get in game 2.    

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I don't think Dom Robinson is going to be a major contributor.  I'm not even sure he'll be active on game days.  He has to show a lot more than sacking QBs when he's not blocked. 

Ja'Tyre Carter has held up well physically at RG though it appears more time is needed to adjust to the NFL game.  I could see him on the practice squad this year, maybe on the 53 if we keep 9, and then replacing Whitehair next year.   I like what Greg Gabriel said about hiding him the rest of the preseason so we can sneak him onto the practice squad.  I don't think that's what Eberflus will do so they just might let him compete for the starting role.   Schofield has a huge advantage to make the final roster with his versatility but someone named Jenkins at RG could replace that soon.    Watch carefully the snaps these three players get in game 2.    

Robinson got bumped up to the 2nd team in yesterday's practice and has been getting reps across from Quinn. If they go with 4x Edge, it would be Quinn, Gipson, Muhammad, and Robinson. So there is a chance he is in the rotation.

Carter seems to be more liked  than Thomas as far as playing time. Jenkins changes everything if permanently at RG. I think Robinson will just be a situational Pass rusher. Don't think he would  last if went to practice squad. The online seems to be coming along. Potentially Jenkins and Boom as backups would make the line stronger as a group. What they do with Mustifer will be interesting when Patrick comes back. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

That guarantees Mustifer makes the roster. Read where Jenkins and Borom were running with the first team. If it ends up being Schofield and Reiff as backups, that would be a sold 7 bodies. 

I believe Borom's reps were more about game prep since Reiff isn't playing tomorrow.   Even if Reiff is good enough to practice you'd still want the cohesiveness on the Oline, on the road, especially if you planned on giving Jenkins early reps in the game.  He and Borom have to know how to work together.  

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

That guarantees Mustifer makes the roster. Read where Jenkins and Borom were running with the first team. If it ends up being Schofield and Reiff as backups, that would be a sold 7 bodies. 

Borom is likely swing tackle at this point - but Jenkins is making a play to take over as the starting guard. I think there is a chance he can end up as an excellent guard.  Reiff is a clear starter - question is what does Borom show to eventually take his spot (vs. a draft pick or new FA signing in the offseason). 

25 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Borom is likely swing tackle at this point - but Jenkins is making a play to take over as the starting guard. I think there is a chance he can end up as an excellent guard.  Reiff is a clear starter - question is what does Borom show to eventually take his spot (vs. a draft pick or new FA signing in the offseason). 

I like all of it.  Borom is a good depth piece that is still developing.  I'm still concerned about the rookie on the left side, but we all knew we'd have growing pains.  If we can hit on two more OL next draft, we should be solid for a decade.

51 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

agree. Reiff is the starter.

Does anyone else feel like our coaches seem to be going out of their way to compliment Jenkins as he makes this transition to RG?   

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-starters-play-6-10-snaps-in-seattle-preseason-teven-jenkins-offensive-line

"We kicked him inside and he's been there for a couple days and he's doing a good job," Eberflus said. "We're excited where he goes from this moving forward. We'll see how it goes. This is another combination that we have, we're looking at, and we'll go from there."

"He's very smart," Eberflus said. "Very athletic player. And one of my mentors said this—and I believe this and he engrained into my mind—is that you never put a ceiling on a player. So you'll always have to watch out for that as a coach.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/17/bears-teven-jenkins-has-chance-to-start-at-right-guard/

Offensive line coach Chris Morgan believes Jenkins has the skillset to thrive at guard in this offensive scheme.

“He’s got great size; he’s got good strength,” Morgan said. “He’s a smart football player. Those are all things you want inside, that translate inside. Things move fast inside.”

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2022/8/15/23307238/chicago-bears-had-teven-jenkins-at-guard-larry-borom-riley-reiff-luke-getsy-kyler-gordon-velus-jones

Guards get stressed mentally more than tackles do in this system,” Bears offensive coordinator Luke Getsy said today after practice. “That’s the strength of his game. So we want to try that and see what that looks like within what we’re trying to get done.”

I just noticed that Jenkins has longer arms than Larry Borom, and I hear complaints that his arms are to short, but have never heard that negative about Borom. Braxton has 35 3/8, which is great for a OT. Jones has the proto type body for a LT. Quick and smart, the only downer is level of competition. He should have been drafted higher.

14 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Does anyone else feel like our coaches seem to be going out of their way to compliment Jenkins as he makes this transition to RG? 

Yes, a lot. I think that the rumor we heard about Jenkins clashing with coaches was over them wanting him to play G when he wanted to play T. Now that hes accepting it, they are putting all this praise out there.

Also, if Jenkins has a temper, and is that competitive, it's not necessarily all bad. :)

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

It's a big transition going from highly drafted college OT to pro OG.  Hype, hope and ego are huge with young people.  Once he accepts his new role, he should thrive.  He's another Pace overdraft, but will hopefully reclaim quite nicely.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

It's a big transition going from highly drafted college OT to pro OG.  Hype, hope and ego are huge with young people.  Once he accepts his new role, he should thrive.  He's another Pace overdraft, but will hopefully reclaim quite nicely.

right - for where he was drafted, he should have been a great LOT. But he isnt one, and if we can get a road grading OG out of him, so much the better. If Jones ascends quickly, Poles ill look like a genius.

58 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

right - for where he was drafted, he should have been a great LOT. But he isnt one, and if we can get a road grading OG out of him, so much the better. If Jones ascends quickly, Poles ill look like a genius.

If he is good enough to avoid early pressure on the inside Fields is going to have a good season.  

51 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Its interesting where we are talking about the OL  being descent, when  in the beginning of the season, everyone was condemning Poles .  I think he might know what he's doing.

Yeah, the late signings of Reiff and Schofield helped, but also the emergence of Jones and move of Jenkins. 

What worries me? I was hoping you'd ask. :lol: All of this talk about how much improved our OL looks. I pray that once the season begins I see the improvement. But on the basis of the first PRESEASON game I sure don't see it. Fields took 19 snaps from the center in the first game, was hit multiple times and sacked twice. From what I can tell, the average number of offensive plays/game for a team is between 60 and 70 per game. That would mean Fields was on a pace to be sacked 6 times if he played a full game? Giving up 6 sacks in a game really sucks! 

6 hours ago, Pixote said:

What worries me? I was hoping you'd ask. :lol: All of this talk about how much improved our OL looks. I pray that once the season begins I see the improvement. But on the basis of the first PRESEASON game I sure don't see it. Fields took 19 snaps from the center in the first game, was hit multiple times and sacked twice. From what I can tell, the average number of offensive plays/game for a team is between 60 and 70 per game. That would mean Fields was on a pace to be sacked 6 times if he played a full game? Giving up 6 sacks in a game really sucks! 

You are not wrong in your apprehension.  There will be growing pains for sure.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I read where Herbert was carted off the field, havent seen what that injury was about.

Saw that and it's unfortunate.  Hopefully it's not serious.  With Ebner banged up we're getting some questions around the RBs.  Evans is not as versatile as Herbert on special teams but fortunately we have a lot of options there.  Tuggle is going to get a lot of carries this next game.