T. Jenkins

Bill

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is my favorite OL. He cant get a starting job not being on the field. I have seen several people suggest he has covid. So hopefully he will shine once they start hitting and he gets on the field. This is his draft profile, the only thing holding him back is his battle with injuries, his arrow is still pointing up.

Overview
NFL-ready frame with broad chest and thick lower half. Jenkins not only plays with excellent upper-body power and hand strength, he combines it with a desired level of body control and athleticism to create a consistent, toolsy talent. His instincts and processing serve him well in quickly sifting through moving pieces. He can be an intolerant run blocker, looking to finish and bury his opponent once he gets his block locked and centered. Jenkins has good tackle tape, but his short arms and average range in pass sets could be something to keep an eye on. Whether it is at tackle or guard, Jenkins has the talent to become an early starter and a successful pro.
Strengths
  • Split low with wide frame, good power and excellent body control.
  • Instinctive feel for positioning and quick to adjust his blocks when needed.
  • Powerful core allows him to base up and flatten the edge for running backs.
  • Full sustain mode closes door once his hands lock in.
  • Ready and willing to bury his man.
  • Plays under squared pads as a climbing blocker.
  • Athleticism for smooth drift from block to block on second level.
  • Quick to set out on wide-angle rushers and close the distance.
  • Keeps hands back until his target is within range.
  • Strong, sure hands clench up and stall rush attack.
  • Capable hand fighting to recapture control.
  • Solid mirror and redirection 

Yeah, I will hold judgment until after the end of this season. Sure seems like a bust at this point. He has just missed too much time, regardless of the reasons.

It really sucks because these players went off the board right after him:

Liam Eichenberg, OL
Asante Samuel Jr., CB
Rondale Moore, WR

Eichenberg is a solid starter for Miami, Samuel is doing great things in LA, and Moore is obviously ready to take off in Arizona.

Mooney, Moore, Pringle, Jones? How about that for a WR corps.

That pick has a huge trickle down effect. If we took say Samuel, we could've used the Gordon pick on a WR or OL.

5 hours ago, adam said:

Yeah, I will hold judgment until after the end of this season. Sure seems like a bust at this point. He has just missed too much time, regardless of the reasons.

It really sucks because these players went off the board right after him:

Liam Eichenberg, OL
Asante Samuel Jr., CB
Rondale Moore, WR

Eichenberg is a solid starter for Miami, Samuel is doing great things in LA, and Moore is obviously ready to take off in Arizona.

Mooney, Moore, Pringle, Jones? How about that for a WR corps.

That pick has a huge trickle down effect. If we took say Samuel, we could've used the Gordon pick on a WR or OL.

His talent says he should be starting this year.  So, he only gets this camp for me.  With his injury and surgery last year, he should have done all of the rehab and new in the best shape of his life.  It was already mentioned that they asked him to cut weight and his response was that he would have to cut down on drinking.  And don't forget that we traded up for him as well.  Where there is smoke there is fire and when there is silence there is usually a secret.

6 minutes ago, McGowan said:

I assume he has totally pissed off Poles, Flus, and the OL Coach is they are thinking of trading a player drafted so high in his 2nd year when we are rebuilding our OL. What possible compensation would we receive? I doubt we'd get more than a conditional 4th and that might be a pipe dream.

24 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I assume he has totally pissed off Poles, Flus, and the OL Coach is they are thinking of trading a player drafted so high in his 2nd year when we are rebuilding our OL. What possible compensation would we receive? I doubt we'd get more than a conditional 4th and that might be a pipe dream.

Maybe it's a situation where Jenkins said, "I should be starting.  Trade me."  So the team can come back and say, "the best offer was a sixth rounder.  We like you more than anyone else, so get to work."

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Here we go.

The line of..."the Oklahoma State alumnus dropped down boards and was the center of rumors surrounding medical concerns." seems to sum up Ryan Pace's ability to properly assess draft prospects with regards to being injury prone.  Kevin White being another example.  

Not sure we will ever hear the whole story. I suspect he wasnt working hard enough in the early camp and got moved to the second team. Coped an attitude because he wasnt moved to the starters when the real camp started. Someone suggested he may have just said trade me. I think he has talent but butting heads with new coaches probably is a bad idea. I would say a conditional 5th would be the best we could get for someone not proven.

If that is the case, he should have just put his 2nd string head down and destroyed all the 2nd string competition in front of him until everyone saw the talent he thinks he has.

We dont really know WHAT it is. My guess is he's having a problem with alcohol. The coaches are telling him to flat out stop drinking, and he is saying that its OK to have a couple beers. And the idea that he wont buy in fully over something so insignificant is making them question his heart, or that he is an alcoholic who will be worse later on. That's my GUESS.

I base it only on some discussions about cutting back the beer consumption he made a few months back.

Again, it's just a guess, same as the other ones here. We may never get to know what actually happened.

I like the theory that they are shopping him to tell him the best offer they got was a 6th (and his agent can look around too) and maybe that wakes him up to the idea that he isnt untouchable and has to earn his spot like everyone else.

Seems like whatever the issue, it includes some disrespect for the coaching staff. They never thought he fit their system anyway, so I dont think he will last too long.

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The line of..."the Oklahoma State alumnus dropped down boards and was the center of rumors surrounding medical concerns." seems to sum up Ryan Pace's ability to properly assess draft prospects with regards to being injury prone.  Kevin White being another example.  

Maybe but K White never had an injury problem in college and if I remember most of his were not muscle or tissue.  Most were broken bones and such?

As I said in the training camp thread:   "Signs were already pointing toward Borom starting at RT but we'll see if that holds.  Eberflus has already said he wants to keep 8 Oline so it's possible Jenkins ends up the odd man out at the end of camp and gets traded."

I'd certainly like to see Jenkins fight for a job instead of pouting.  I'd love to see his run blocking ability on the field but whatever is going on behind the scenes it just blew up.  I was kinda discounting the whole maturity issues rumor but no longer.  Oddly we're in the reverse situation of N'Keal Harry and the Patriots except Poles and Eberflus aren't going to wait nearly as long.  Again, new sheriff in town and I guarantee this rumor has everyone's attention in the locker room.   

I'll add to the uneducated guesses based on my statement at the top.  If we're only keeping 8 Oline and if Jenkins is headed toward being a backup that means he needs to demonstrate some versatility.  He may have balked about taking snaps inside at RG, and also about being the "extra" lineman in limited packages.   Reiff can play both sides.  Jones is LT only.  Borom can play both sides.  What else are we gonna do with the 4th OT?  

Putting aside Jenkins issues, I still don't think the team would be shopping him if they really needed him even as a backup.  I think this means they feel pretty good about Jones and Borom and likely two other Olineman.  Reiff is the LT starter but gives added flexibility for RT, and then you have Schofield who can also slide out to RT if needed.  They may also like what Mustipher and Carter are doing inside (guessing since Carter had some reps with the 1s).   So then who are the top 8 Oline?  

1. Reiff LT/RT

2. Schofield RG/RT

3. Whitehair LG/C

4. Patrick C/RG

5. Borom LT/RT

6. Mustipher RG/C backup each

7. Jones LT.

8.  ?????   (in terms of talent options are Jenkins, Carter, Shonn Coleman 5th yr, Zach Thomas, Pig Simmons, Eiselen, Kramer).  I know Delance, and Davenport are out there too.  I can't see them keeping a backup C who can't flex out to OG so Kramer is likely practice squad material.    Watch how they line up tomorrow.  

In that list, besides Jenkins, there has to be a couple guys they like enough to be comfortable with them battling for the 8th spot.  Otherwise keeping Jenkins necessitates having 9 Oline on the 53 but are you going to do that with a guy who isn't bought into your program?   We're not going to be able to put Jenkins on the practice squad because someone would pick him up.  The last 3 roster spots go to players who exude the culture and are willing to do whatever they can to help the team win, not to someone who needs a babysitter.  

What happens if we can't get decent value out of the trade?  Either Jenkins has his teachable moment (nobody really values him) and decides to work hard (RT/RG) to earn a roster spot.  Or we're SOL.  I'd venture that Poles will keep him around as long as possible because there is always a team in need of OT help at cutdowns due to injuries.  He'd likely get better value from someone who didn't want to take the risk of Jenkins becoming a FA.  Deadlines bring clarity to your cost/benefit analysis especially if your GM or HC job is on the line.  You'll pay more to try to keep your job.  Like Harry did for the last year, if Jenkins first trade pitch doesn't work out he'd likely shut up and toe the line enough to help build his trade value during the preseason.

Pads go on today, so we will see what happens.

The trend from dropping down to 2nd string early in the offseason, to not practicing because "he has a little something", to working with trainers, to trade rumors seems like the news in trending in the wrong direction.

Now it is possible the trade rumors are coming from his agent (or the team). 

If there butting heads, neither side probably wants it to be public. I heard its between the Oline coach and Jenkins. Every writer is speculating about it. The problem will be Tven is losing reps to secure him a starter job on the Oline. Jenkins tweeted out that every thing is good, dont believe the rumors you are hearing. So maybe it is something small like a sprained ankle. 

Aren’t we glad that Pace moved up to get another sure thing?

I remain shocked that management watched Pace moving up and giving away picks for years and did nothing.

Is it really that hard to understand it is not a good idea to constantly mortgage your future for supposed instant success?  How many times did the Bears move up and give away future draft picks under the Pace regime?

Any of the top 10 posters on this site could have done better.  What a joke.

5 hours ago, Daventry said:

Aren’t we glad that Pace moved up to get another sure thing?

I remain shocked that management watched Pace moving up and giving away picks for years and did nothing.

Is it really that hard to understand it is not a good idea to constantly mortgage your future for supposed instant success?  How many times did the Bears move up and give away future draft picks under the Pace regime?

Any of the top 10 posters on this site could have done better.  What a joke.

I was upset about both trade ups initially when we took Fields and Jenkins only because of who pulled the trigger.  I had no faith in Pace, but I do think he got those moves right even though we have no idea what is going on with Jenkins.  

Mark my speculation here on what I think is going on.   Bears physicians failed Jenkins from participating.  It might be all about his fat percentage because that is a new key they are using/measuring. Management would be upset he wasn't prepared blame maturity. The media speculates and rumor mills explode.  

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

They are unearthing comments from his college HC.  Unfortunately, he had work ethic issues the coach had to address publicly.  The article was mainly about Jenkins talent being elite, but why throw the jab?  Due diligence is very easy in this digital age.

I remember that during the draft process.   Given the tight-lipped organization Poles and Eberflus have run so far I find it odd they would be leaking to NFL Network about trade talks.  The leak could be from his agent but you'd think he/she would be smart enough to know you don't want to try to trade damaged goods (meaning keep your mouth shut).  Or it could be other teams that are interested but wanted to reduce his trade value. 

You listen to Braxton Jones' press conference and all you hear is praise for the coaches.  I think he's being sincere because he's learning, he knows how much more he has to learn, and most importantly he appreciates the opportunity in front of him.   He mentioned the "things you hear" but deftly stayed away from directly talking about Jenkins' issue.

At this point it seems Jenkins' injury is a bruised ego.