T. Jenkins

Bill

Pace traded up for these players in the 2nd Round: Adam Shaheen, Anthony Miller, Tevin Jenkins.

He always thought he was smarter than everyone else. I am so glad he is gone. We always joked on this board that we could do better than him at picking players. After seeing the aftermath of what he left, I don't know if we were too far off.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I remember that during the draft process.   Given the tight-lipped organization Poles and Eberflus have run so far I find it odd they would be leaking to NFL Network about trade talks.  The leak could be from his agent but you'd think he/she would be smart enough to know you don't want to try to trade damaged goods (meaning keep your mouth shut).  Or it could be other teams that are interested but wanted to reduce his trade value. 

You listen to Braxton Jones' press conference and all you hear is praise for the coaches.  I think he's being sincere because he's learning, he knows how much more he has to learn, and most importantly he appreciates the opportunity in front of him.   He mentioned the "things you hear" but deftly stayed away from directly talking about Jenkins' issue.

At this point it seems Jenkins' injury is a bruised ego.  

It's the direct distinction of the modern athlete.  Feeling privileged vs entitled.  As a coach, I see the humbling effect at every age group.  In one season, my son went from wanting to be a D 1 athlete as a pitcher and WR.  He has the size and talent for both, but does not want to work for it.  Other kids are stars in HS and go to juco for a chance.  Then there's my wife's nephew and fellow Bears fan and Chicago kid.  6'5 295 and wait for it, 15 years old!

Screenshot_20220727-214036_Facebook.jpg

53 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

It's the direct distinction of the modern athlete.  Feeling privileged vs entitled.  As a coach, I see the humbling effect at every age group.  In one season, my son went from wanting to be a D 1 athlete as a pitcher and WR.  He has the size and talent for both, but does not want to work for it.  Other kids are stars in HS and go to juco for a chance.  Then there's my wife's nephew and fellow Bears fan and Chicago kid.  6'5 295 and wait for it, 15 years old!

Screenshot_20220727-214036_Facebook.jpg

Wow at 15? He is a beast.

1 hour ago, McGowan said:

Might be much ado about nothing. 

Guy seems to just be injured. 

That sounds like there's been some reconciliation lately?  If their tough love approach can get him focused and working hard, and I don't care if it's at RT or RG, we could actually have a good Oline with some depth.  That's a long wishful shot from where we are today.    

6 hours ago, McGowan said:

Might be much ado about nothing. 

Guy seems to just be injured. 

From 3 days ago, he tells an acquaintance he is fine.  The media speculation can destroy people.  Since he is not designated on any injury lists, I am still guessong his body fat percentage is not were they wanted it.   I hope it is not back issues that they are leaving day to day.

Screenshot_20220805-193707_Twitter.jpg

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

This is such a strange situation. I just hope he gets back to the field and starts playing. 

Agreed.  That's why I think it's a mental issue.  They are probably tight lipped to protect his privacy while he gets the help he needs.  In the meantime, he could be working his ass off indoors.

4 hours ago, adam said:

"this deal" "dealing with a thing"

I was thinking it was conditioning or weight.

At least he is back in practice.  My take from an Poles earlier quote about fat percentages and that some young olinemen need to work on this to meet his percentages makes me think this was an example being set to show they are serious about this.  Jenkins quotes found searching say he has a few drinks but he can burn that off fast.  He must have been 10 days of working out off. 

It would be really nice to get him back into the mix. When healthy, I think he can be a top notch tackle. It also really helps with O-Line depth. If we have Reiff, Jones, Borom, and Jenkins who all can play Tackle at an average starter level, we wouldn't see a big drop off if someone had to rotate in. Kramer vs Mustipher will be the interesting battle to backup Patrick.

46 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

At least he is back in practice.  My take from an Poles earlier quote about fat percentages and that some young olinemen need to work on this to meet his percentages makes me think this was an example being set to show they are serious about this.  Jenkins quotes found searching say he has a few drinks but he can burn that off fast.  He must have been 10 days of working out off. 

those quotes made me wonder if he was having an alcohol problem. its a total guess, I have no evidence other than those quotes. but if he was refusing to stop drinking entirely, that could feel like a problem with the staff, which is what was reported, at least in rumors. Just like we will never know where Roquan Smith went for a week a couple years ago...

I get tired of all of the BS. If this were during the season, I can understand needing to keep some information confidential. You don't want to let opponents know information that might allow them to better prepare for you. But we haven't even played our first preseason game. There is no reason not to be open with the fans about situations like Jenkins missing practices. Poles, Flus, Getsy, and Jenkins himself set themselves up for wild rumors that could be avoided with transparency. If he is injured, what was the injury? If he is not in proper condition, admit it. If he has a drinking problem, fans will understand and support him. But to do the annoying white lies, humming and hawing, only leads to radical speculation of possible reasons for his absence that often are far worse than reality.

Maybe a coach would prefer to have the player admit to the fans/press what the issue is. I just listened to Jenkins' press conference. His response to questions? "I'd rather not say." I learned nothing from the interview. A waste of my time. Fluff. That's all it was. B.S.

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

You could very well be right, that is no one is talking about a players failure to adapt to new culture. I think the trade rumors got started just because he was in the training room instead of on the field. speculation.  Remember when Quinn missed mandatory minicamp. Everyone said he wants to be traded and the team wants to trade him. It was all bullshit, He loves being here.

All I can say is that he didn't disappear for ten practices for fat camp.  Fat camp is on the field.  So there is/were other things in play that led to all the speculation and secrecy.  Of course we want to know the "whole" truth, but it may not happen.  I'm simply happy that things looked to have been handled to his and the teams best interest.

In the press conference today, he was extremely guarded, but a few things slipped out. He mentioned not being in "any more discomfort" so there was discomfort. I dont think now that it was an alcohol thing. It was a good guess based on a tiny trickle of information, but it turned out to be erroneous. So I was wrong on that guess.

It sounds like his back had issues and he deosnt really fit the Bears scheme anyway, and maybe he even did arrive a little fat. But both sides want to trade him, so you get the stock answers, trying to hide whatever the injury is so that the Bears get the best trade offers. Both sides will want that, so they say all the right things.

He DID agree that "something happened" in the first practice. Was it barking at a coach? Pain in his back? We dont know. But he is known to have a nasty streak, and maybe all of this will bubble over in an angry mauling run blocker for us. Maybe a future OT for someone else (in his mind) destroys people at the OG position for us. Maybe he decides he likes being successful there. Who knows. Maybe RT. He'd have to outplay Rieff. Maybe if hes mad enough he can do that.

Maybe he showed up a little fat, was pissed about the depth chart, and tweaked his back. Maybe the staff decided to piss him off and see if he would be that nasty player, or crumble.

So much we dont know. But he will show it on the field now. Were just getting into pads anyway.

Maybe this is part of Eberflus' tough regime, and he wanted to freak with the guy because non pad work doesnt mean anything anyway. If Jenkins opened himself to it for being fat, or entitled, especially if he did slightly tweak his back they might have said - lose X number of pounds and show that you have heart. Its not a bad move since he didnt miss any padded practices anyway.

I think wed all like to see him come out with a chip on his shoulder and blow people up, fighting his way into the starting lineup.

But if not, I hope we get something for him in trade too.

So either way, I hope he comes out in beast mode.

The fact he is still here is telling. Also he has been going to non practice meetings. If he's back on the field, no matter what happened, both sides are still trying to make this work. If he is the beast he is supposed to be, maybe he settles in RG, or an injury propels him to start at OT. If he's back and playing, it can't hurt for trade options either. The more bodies the better. I don't think it's a done deal, there trading him just yet.

I watched his press conference.  I now think there was some type of injury but I also think the mental side of things got to him.  Simply put, he looks sad.  Not even mad or frustrated with the lost opportunity, just sad.  He said he only talked with his agent and not the Bears about the trade rumors.  So if trade talks have been ongoing it could really have been started from either side or perhaps even both in mutual agreement to at least see what was out there once he got demoted (Reiff signing). 

If it were me, or any of us, and my boss hired someone new to do my job I'd be asking where do I fit in?  Are you really going to keep 4 OTs on the final roster?  If not, just let me go now so I can find a spot elsewhere and compete for a starting job, don't make me wait until camps are over.   Did Poles say ok we'll see what's out there but if we don't get the value we need it won't happen?  Maybe all that just put Jenkins into a depression.  For anyone who has ever fought through depression it saps your energy.  

This all happened after day 1, or even during the practice.  I wouldn't put it past Eberflus and the team to have come up with the "day to day" stuff for injuries to help cover for Jenkins issue.  You can't list everyone's injury and then say nothing on Jenkins.  That's pure speculation, but if so, I'd respect them for doing that.  We also know that Jenkins has been in meetings with the Oline and yet none has spoken a word about him.  That indicates they have privately agreed to circle the wagons and take care of one of their own by keeping  whatever is going on out of the media as best they can.  

Obviously there were no great deals on the table.  At best I'd say Jenkins has resigned himself to stay here and try to compete.  Maybe once he can get his hands on some defensive players and start moving them around it'll get his spirits up.