Bill

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I'm really glad to see this because I think this gives us a chance at having a good Oline.   

me too. 3T Jones looked good too on Saturday - he was getting a lot of penetration. If the OL and DL perform well, we could have the start of something.

Some analysis of Jenkins performance against Seattle.  I'm not so sure about the commentary on technique because I'd say Jenkins got caught off-balance quite bit.   To his credit he never gave up on a play and stayed with his man and was usually able to get back in balance.  At least with the slo-mo you can decide for yourself. 

IMO for a guy who practiced at RG for just 2 days he performed very well with finding his assignments especially as Seattle was mixing in a lot of blitzes.   Physically I'd say he's got to get used to the timing and power but he has the strength to hold his ground and then some.  One nice thing I saw is that when he did get beat to the outside shoulder he has the speed and strength to carry the DT past the pocket.  He's really just doing what an OT would do but most OG can't turn like that and stay engaged.   That's something Fields will have to get used to because in the past if an OG got beat early like that he's coming free.  

14 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Some analysis of Jenkins performance against Seattle.  I'm not so sure about the commentary on technique because I'd say Jenkins got caught off-balance quite bit.   To his credit he never gave up on a play and stayed with his man and was usually able to get back in balance.  At least with the slo-mo you can decide for yourself. 

IMO for a guy who practiced at RG for just 2 days he performed very well with finding his assignments especially as Seattle was mixing in a lot of blitzes.   Physically I'd say he's got to get used to the timing and power but he has the strength to hold his ground and then some.  One nice thing I saw is that when he did get beat to the outside shoulder he has the speed and strength to carry the DT past the pocket.  He's really just doing what an OT would do but most OG can't turn like that and stay engaged.   That's something Fields will have to get used to because in the past if an OG got beat early like that he's coming free.  

Jenkins recovers well, which is an exceptional trait to have as a Guard. Since the inside pressure gets there faster, any recovery gives Fields enough time to escape the pocket. He just needs to learn how to move in the pocket better, which includes stepping up. 

I went back and watched all of Jenkins snaps for both games. It seems like he starts slow (like he is not ready for the speed), then he kicks it into another gear and plays really well. Outside of 2-3 plays total, he is an above-average RG. With such limited time at the position, he can easily grow into a top 10 RG in the league. I think he is already better than Daniels at run blocking and probably slightly behind in pass pro, but that was Daniels at his peak and Jenkins after 2 limited preseason game snaps.

Olin Kruetz  thinks he is the most talented player on the OL and I tend to agree. I think this in sense,  is his rookie yr and is starting to get up to speed with the NFL. I think his play will improve every game going forward. We're going to have another Kyle Long type player at RG again. With Patrick coming back the middle of the OL will be our strength.

18 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I didn’t see the presser but allegedly Eberflus stated that Borom will be the starter despite the addition of Reiff.

They must have done this because they feel Reiff would be a better insurance policy as a swing tackle.  Borom did not look good in pass pro last game.  Looked ok in run.

On 8/20/2022 at 12:15 PM, AZ54 said:

We definitely have a few things to clean up but the positive takeaway for me is that overall everyone is on the same page on each play.  

yes, and we havent seen that for a long time. the difference in coaching is already clearly visible.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

They must have done this because they feel Reiff would be a better insurance policy as a swing tackle.  Borom did not look good in pass pro last game.  Looked ok in run.

I cant imagine putting the lesser starter in for a superior backup role filled. I think Borom has simply outplayed Reiff. Either that, or theyre getting Borom more expereince, and when Reiff is ready, he'll come in. I really just think Borom stepped up tho.

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I cant imagine putting the lesser starter in for a superior backup role filled. I think Borom has simply outplayed Reiff. Either that, or theyre getting Borom more expereince, and when Reiff is ready, he'll come in. I really just think Borom stepped up tho.

IMO, not a best man won scenario.  More like Borom was close enough, so let's develop him type of thing.  It makes sense if they don't think he's gonna get Fields killed.  If it works, that's what's best for the team.

50 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

IMO, not a best man won scenario.  More like Borom was close enough, so let's develop him type of thing.  It makes sense if they don't think he's gonna get Fields killed.  If it works, that's what's best for the team.

I dont disagree with that. If they are close to even and Borom has more upside that you want to develop, then sure. Especially in a year like this.

37 minutes ago, Pixote said:

If Borom, Jenkins, and Jones all three develop into above average starters, we have a promising start to a young offensive line for the future.

Any team that can find starting OTs in the 5th Rd is doing something right.  However, I'm not that high on Borom yet as he still seems like a stop gap.  Plus he's competing against a vet in his 11th season who has had some up and down seasons in recent years, plus injuries.  As I said before, for me Reiff represents the floor.  Coaches right now are trying to work on the upside with a younger player.  I'm ok with that but I don't think they are married to that long term if he stumbles.   

Battles I'll be watching this coming weekend (if I can find the broadcast) are what they do with Mustipher, Eiselen and Carter.  I haven't watched Eiselen in the Seattle game much but around the internet I've seen where people were impressed with his blocking at Center, more than what they saw from Mustipher.  Snapping was not ideal but would that improve with reps?  Carter has quietly performed well too.  I think Schofield makes the 53 simply because of his experience and ability to play both RG/RT but will they be able to stash Carter on the practice squad?   Or do they just hide Carter this game, let Schofield take all the snaps, and then move Carter to the practice squad?    It is unexpected but now there appears to be real competition for the last few spots on the Oline.  

I think they favor the upside of the young for more of a long-term answer . They have Schofield and Reiff to jump in if it doesnt work. I think they have the FB, and 2 TE sets to help with blocking, so they will scheme to put these players in the best situation to win. If these are the starters by the end of the season then all will be good with the OL. 2 5ths and  a 2nd rounder as a future OL. That would be amazing. Reiff only makes 3 mil, if he only plays less than 10% of the snaps, so they can always fall back to him. He is just happy to have a job this late in the preseason.

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

He looks like he is in a much better place mentally vs. two weeks ago.  Yet still focused on what he wants to get done.  It's nice to see his sense of humor coming through.  

I am rooting for the kid. He is saying all the right things. There is no shame in being an All-Pro Right Guard, just ask Quentin Nelson. Jenkins has barely played the position, so he will only get better from here. Same with Borom. Once Patrick is back, with Whitehair, and unbelievably, Jones, we can see the unit improve as a whole.

I have much more faith in our OL now ;hen at this time last year.  Peters was only here for a week.  Now it looks like we know our five starters and they will of played together a few plays.  Young, inexperienced, but looking like a lot better ceiling going forward.  

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Has anyone heard any news of the progress of Patrick and his injury? I try to google it and found nothing.

The last update I saw it was an undetermined timetable but hopeful he would be back for the opener. Without any news, especially considering they are so big about a ramp up period, I can't see him playing in Week 1 if he is not at least at practice starting on Monday.