Pick a Roster

adam

Which roster would you take, Bears or Pats?

The Pats went 10-7 last year. Here is how our roster stacks up:

CHI vs NE

Offense

QB - Fields vs Jones - I like Jones, but he was the guy that was the most NFL-ready but with the lowest ceiling. I think we will see that take shape over the next two years. I will take Fields here, just based on upside. Pats were 8-1 when they held opponents to 17 or less. They were 2-7 otherwise. So Jones didn't have to do much for 10 wins. Fields by a few. 

RB - Montgomery/Herbert vs Harris/Stevenson - This is a fairly even group, especially with the Bears having Blasingame and probably Ebner. Monty is probably the best of the bunch, followed by Harris and Stevenson. However, as a group the Bears are deeper. Wash.

WR - Mooney/Pringle/Jones/St. Brown vs Parker/Meyers/Bourne/Agholor - Pats win easily here, though Mooney would be WR1 or WR2 on this team. Pringle probably WR3/4. The jury is still out on Jones and St. Brown. Parker only had 515 receiving yards last year. Pats by a big margin.

TE - Kmet vs Henry - I like both, Henry is very consistent, 3 straight with over 600 yards, 4 yrs ago had 579, and never had less than 4 TDs with a high of 9 last year. Kmet had more receptions and yards his 2nd year than Henry did in his. Also, Kmet's 60 receptions last year ties Henry's career high. So I will call this a wash, but I would put Kmet's name first. Wash.

OL - Reiff, Whitehair, Patrick, Schofield, Borom/Jones vs Wynn, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Brown - For as bad as some make our line out to be, I would take it over the Patriots. Bears by a little.

So for offense as a whole, with the large gap at WR the Pats have a lead that dries up with the QB and OLine. Offenses are basically too close to call.

Defense

DL - Muhammad, Jones, Tonga, Quinn vs Wise, Godchaux, Guy - A slightly different defensive front, but I will go with the Bears here with Quinn, Muhammad, and Jones over their guys. Bears by a few.

LB - Smith, Morrow, Adams vs Judon, Bentley, Wilson, Uche - Smith is better than all of them and it is not even close. Judon would be second, but way back from Smith and closer to Morrow. Bears by a few.

DB - Johnson, Gordon, Brisker, Jackson vs Mitchell, Mills, Dugger, McCourty - Bears have a stronger group overall, McCourty is 34. Mitchell and Mills combined for 1 INT last year.  Bears by a little.

Even if you called one of DL, LBs, or DBs a wash, most people would take the Bears defense. 

ST - Santos, Gill vs Folk, Bailey - A wash here, I would take Santos and Bailey. 

Also note that McDaniels is gone, so it is now Matt Patricia as OC? He was a terrible HC and I didn't know he was an offensive guy. 

Thoughts?

Little nugget about Jones.

40 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

You have to give coaching advantage to NE. These rosters are similar in good players and upside players. I think Fields has more upside than Jones. So my futures are leaning on the Bears being better  not necessarily this year. 

Head coaching goes to NE, but the jury is still out on Matt Patricia as an OC and play caller.