Could Minny target Berrian & Rex???

bradjock

I was thinking how damn good Minnesota is defensively, how great their o-line is, & their RB's are top-notch. They have around 15 million cap-available. While their secondary sucks, their most glaring weakness is QB & WR.

I'd take Mark Bradley/Devin Hester or Moose over ANY WR Minny has. MAYBE Tavaris Jackson isn't horrible, but why take that chance? Sadly & ironically the best WR on the market is Bernard Berrian. (Randy Moss is returning to NE IMO)

The best QB available is Rex Grossman. (Derek Anderson ain't going nowhere . . . . that makes Rex #1.)

If I'm Minnesota, I do everything possible to address these two positions. I'd over-pay if necessary. Rex & Berrian are the best available, they have GREAT chemistry together, AND you'd be stealing them from a division rival. Nice.

Minnesota needs & probably wants these 2 more then the Bears. I could see Minny getting both. This is just speculation on my part, but how bad would that suck?

The odds of them getting both I imagine are slim. But I could see them landing one of the 2 depending on what the Bears do, and who else is bidding on Berrian. I think Rex is theirs if they want him.

I was thinking how damn good Minnesota is defensively, how great their o-line is, & their RB's are top-notch. They have around 15 million cap-available. While their secondary sucks, their most glaring weakness is QB & WR.

I'd take Mark Bradley/Devin Hester or Moose over ANY WR Minny has. MAYBE Tavaris Jackson isn't horrible, but why take that chance? Sadly & ironically the best WR on the market is Bernard Berrian. (Randy Moss is returning to NE IMO)

The best QB available is Rex Grossman. (Derek Anderson ain't going nowhere . . . . that makes Rex #1.)

If I'm Minnesota, I do everything possible to address these two positions. I'd over-pay if necessary. Rex & Berrian are the best available, they have GREAT chemistry together, AND you'd be stealing them from a division rival. Nice.

Minnesota needs & probably wants these 2 more then the Bears. I could see Minny getting both. This is just speculation on my part, but how bad would that suck?

Thinking about it, this is scary. Rex, Berrian, that OL, and Peterson is scary. Address the CB/S position with the first pick if you get Berrian, and with that great run stopping front 7, this team wins the division next year and possibly gets to Tampa on February 2, 2009. :crying

Well it'd be the first time someone other than Bears/Pack have won the Division since it was turned into the North

Why do you think the odds are slim of getting both, at least if they wanted them that is.

Berrian will not be cheap to whoever goes after him, but while his contract will be pretty high, his first year cap hit likely won't. Most teams sign a player w/ a minimal 1st year base, thus creating a lower cap hit that first year.

As for Rex, as you said, if they want him, he is there's. The reality is, while I personally think there will in fact be a market for Rex, few believe he will command big bucks, and fewere believe he will be offered a starting job. Minny can easily put forward an offer that would entice Rex.

Point is, if they want both, I think they could easily have both. Also, if they want Rex, it may make more sense to press harder for Berrian. Many teams may view Rex as a question mark, but if you bring him in w/ his favorite receiver, it may help.

Because I think that's the odds of both those guys going to Minny.

1. We could tag or sign Berrian

2. We could sign Grossman

3. 30 other teams could go for Berrian

4. 30 other teams could go for Grossman

To me, that makes the possibility of having both guys end up in Minny a slim chance.

Minny isn't the only team out there with loot and needs.

Why do you think the odds are slim of getting both, at least if they wanted them that is.

Berrian will not be cheap to whoever goes after him, but while his contract will be pretty high, his first year cap hit likely won't. Most teams sign a player w/ a minimal 1st year base, thus creating a lower cap hit that first year.

As for Rex, as you said, if they want him, he is there's. The reality is, while I personally think there will in fact be a market for Rex, few believe he will command big bucks, and fewere believe he will be offered a starting job. Minny can easily put forward an offer that would entice Rex.

Point is, if they want both, I think they could easily have both. Also, if they want Rex, it may make more sense to press harder for Berrian. Many teams may view Rex as a question mark, but if you bring him in w/ his favorite receiver, it may help.

I understand what you are saying. At the same time, I would say the chance of it happened are greater than slim.

My point isn't so much it will happen, but that it easily can. If Minny were to target both players, why not?

Obviously, if we tag Berrian, there is no chance, but w/ a tag price of $8m (approx) do you really think that will happen? That is a steep amount. If we do not tag him, and he does leave via FA, I would say Minny has as great of a chance to get him as any. I would also point out that Minny would likely love to steal a player from us, as it would both improve their team and hurt ours. Sort of two birds thing.

As for Rex, I think if they want him, they can fairly easily get him. If any team in the league really wants Rex, I think they can get him. While I think, particularly w/ the weak FA QB class (and the draft class not so great either) there will be significant interest in Rex. At the same time, i do not think anyone is going to be looking to throw much money, or many years, at him. So if a team really does like him, they can get him.

So I guess my point is this. If the question is, "will it happen", I might agree the odds are not great. If the question is, "can it happen" I would say the odds are good. At this point, we do not even know if Minny likes either player, but "if" they do like, want and target, both, I think it very well could happen.

I follow...we are basically arguing semantics! :cheers

I hear you on getting Rex easy. I think there's some interest out there, but basically any team other than us that has a decent interest will probably get him.

Berrian's trickier just due to the fact it's so thin at FA in that position.

I understand what you are saying. At the same time, I would say the chance of it happened are greater than slim.

My point isn't so much it will happen, but that it easily can. If Minny were to target both players, why not?

Obviously, if we tag Berrian, there is no chance, but w/ a tag price of $8m (approx) do you really think that will happen? That is a steep amount. If we do not tag him, and he does leave via FA, I would say Minny has as great of a chance to get him as any. I would also point out that Minny would likely love to steal a player from us, as it would both improve their team and hurt ours. Sort of two birds thing.

As for Rex, I think if they want him, they can fairly easily get him. If any team in the league really wants Rex, I think they can get him. While I think, particularly w/ the weak FA QB class (and the draft class not so great either) there will be significant interest in Rex. At the same time, i do not think anyone is going to be looking to throw much money, or many years, at him. So if a team really does like him, they can get him.

So I guess my point is this. If the question is, "will it happen", I might agree the odds are not great. If the question is, "can it happen" I would say the odds are good. At this point, we do not even know if Minny likes either player, but "if" they do like, want and target, both, I think it very well could happen.

Minny has no interest in the very immobile Rex. Minny is still very high on Jackson, and I see no reason why they shouldn't be. He will be entering his 3rd year and still has plenty of potential. If anything, I could see them going for someone like Chad Pennington, who would actually be a good fit in their offense and offer experience.

I could see them going after Berrian but Rex I'm not so sure. From a different perspective, the PR hit the team would take would be brutal. I'm also not sure Rex would head up there if he had other suitors offering similar money and opportunity. He'd have a shot at competing for the starting QB job in Minny but he'll likely get that in other places as well. If Rex is gonna "get out of Dodge" I expect he'd prefer to just leave the NFC North behind as well. Otherwise, why not stay in Chicago where he knows the system and he'll be able to compete better against any new QB.

Minny has no interest in the very immobile Rex. Minny is still very high on Jackson, and I see no reason why they shouldn't be. He will be entering his 3rd year and still has plenty of potential. If anything, I could see them going for someone like Chad Pennington, who would actually be a good fit in their offense and offer experience.

While Tavaris Jackson has mobility, he does not run. I can't see mobility being a factor. I don't know any Vikings fans, but I bet my bottom dollar they'd say "Jackson sucks." Sure he has potential, but look how far his potential got them last year. Rex took the Bears to the Super Bowl. We over-look that fact, but other teams eat that up. When was the last time Minny went to a Super Bowl??? The 70's? I don't even know.

I do not think Chad Pennington is available right now. He's rumored to be cut, but that's pure speculation at this point.

If I was a Minny fan, I'd love to have Rex to at least give Jackson competition.

I could see them going after Berrian but Rex I'm not so sure. From a different perspective, the PR hit the team would take would be brutal. I'm also not sure Rex would head up there if he had other suitors offering similar money and opportunity. He'd have a shot at competing for the starting QB job in Minny but he'll likely get that in other places as well. If Rex is gonna "get out of Dodge" I expect he'd prefer to just leave the NFC North behind as well. Otherwise, why not stay in Chicago where he knows the system and he'll be able to compete better against any new QB.

You act like Rex has a ton of say in it. Nine times out of 10 the decision is based on money. Minnesota has arguably the best defensive line in the league. They clearly have the best running-back tandem. That is two reasons why he might want to escape Chicago. Angelo declared there would be a quarterback competition. Translation: We will offer Rex "Back-up money." Look at the deal we gave Griese (with appropriate elevators due to the elevated cap) as the Bears starting point and possible final offer.

If I'm Rex I say "To hell with the system. I'm going to get paid."

While Tavaris Jackson has mobility, he does not run. I can't see mobility being a factor. I don't know any Vikings fans, but I bet my bottom dollar they'd say "Jackson sucks." Sure he has potential, but look how far his potential got them last year. Rex took the Bears to the Super Bowl. We over-look that fact, but other teams eat that up. When was the last time Minny went to a Super Bowl??? The 70's? I don't even know.

I do not think Chad Pennington is available right now. He's rumored to be cut, but that's pure speculation at this point.

If I was a Minny fan, I'd love to have Rex to at least give Jackson competition.

First off, Childress loves Jackson. 2nd off, Jackson was in his 2nd year and many Viking fans do like him. You mustn't forget that QB's don't develop overnight. And when you play in the WCO, you need to be able to get out the pocket and make passes while running. Did I ever say anything about scrambling? No. And Pennington is as good as gone.

First off, Childress loves Jackson. 2nd off, Jackson was in his 2nd year and many Viking fans do like him. You mustn't forget that QB's don't develop overnight. And when you play in the WCO, you need to be able to get out the pocket and make passes while running. Did I ever say anything about scrambling? No. And Pennington is as good as gone.

What else is "Lovie" Childress going to say??? Rex Grossman is our QB???? Jackson was a detriment this year due to his lack of ability to consistantly connect on the deep ball. IMO - Rex would be a huge upgrade on that team. The thought almost sickens me.

While Tavaris Jackson has mobility, he does not run. I can't see mobility being a factor. .

Does not run?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackTa00.htm

While he isnt Michael Vick, he has his moments. he ran 54 times for 260 yards last year, i wouldnt say that he does not run. Plus, why would he really have to run all that much? He is handing the ball off to AP and Taylor

Agreed w/ Bradjock. Minny has to look like an absolutely great opportunity for a QB.

1. Maybe the best OL in the NFL, and far from old. Even mediocre QBs can look good when they have all the time in the world to sit in the pocket.

2. A freaking awesome run game. Two years ago, Rex had a decent run game to take some heat away. That year, behind TJ and Benson, we ran for 1918 yards and 14 TDs. Those are respectable rushing numbers. The downside was the 3.8 ypc avg., but still quality enough numbers to ease life somewhat for a QB.

But compare that to what Minny did this year. 2,634 yards and 22 TDs, w/ a 5.3 ypc avg.

When defenses play both Chicago and Minny, you stack the box. But in Minny, you stack the box to stop the run, while in Chicago, you stack the box to attack the QB. Big difference. In Chicago, Rex has faced massive amounts of blitzing. In Minny, Rex would face minimal. If you blitz Rex in Minny, AP may take it to the house. Rex would be viewed as the lesser threat.

3. Minny does not have much by way of WRs, but then again, they have youth w/ potential (sound familiar?). In Troy Williamson and Sidney Rice they have a pair of high picks (both were drafted higher than Berrian, Bradley, Hester) and TW was a top 10 pick. In addition, they are expected to make a run at a WR in the offseason.

I would add that both of their RBs can catch the ball.

4. They have a solid defense, which is also young and improving. Rex has enjoyed a great defense most of his time in Chicago, and understands how one side of the ball affects the other.

If Rex had a choice between Chicago and Minny, I have to think he would jump to Minny in a heartbeat.

Ya they dont want that pesky immobile Rex Grossman, lets bring in Chad "Warren Moon 2 " Pennington. Hell, he will probably rush for 1000 yards there.

Ya they dont want that pesky immobile Rex Grossman, lets bring in Chad "Warren Moon 2 " Pennington. Hell, he will probably rush for 1000 yards there.

Chad Pennington isn't a good runner, but he can get out the pocket and make throws on the move. The only time Grossman ever leaves the pocket is when he runs about 20 yards behind the pocket when getting "pressured." And he is just not very good throwing on the move.

Chad Pennington isn't a good runner, but he can get out the pocket and make throws on the move. The only time Grossman ever leaves the pocket is when he runs about 20 yards behind the pocket when getting "pressured." And he is just not very good throwing on the move.

No, I think youre on to something there. I can see Chad dodging defenders left and right and when nothings open he can just take off down field. Actually. Maybe he can use his high powered rocket arm to throw the deep ball to those burners.

A running team with no possession receivers and only viable threat through the air is on deep routes does not benefit from Chad Pennington. At least with Rex they have the threat of the homerun which may draw defenders out of the box. With Chad teams will have 10 in the box cuz they know he isnt throwing more than 20 yards.

What don't you comprehend about the West Coast Offense??? Are you so arrogant and in love with Grossman that refuse to admit that he just does not fit their offense? My god, get a grip.

Also, Troy Williamson is hardly a receiving threat. Pretty much, their only good receiver is Sidney Rice, and he is a very good option for the middle of the field and is a great possession receiver (and could be more then that in a couple years. I really like Rice back at USC [not the Trojans] and was a big fan of his in the draft last year).

So, in the WCO, the QB doesn't have to have a canon arm. In the WCO offense you go for the short passes to actually set up the run. That requires a QB who has a short quick release and is very accurate (Grossman does have a real quick release however). However, the QB also needs to be able to get outside the pocket and be able to throw on the move. Pennington can do that, Grossman can not. The Vikings are a bit different though, because they can set up the pass using the run, obviously, but now that teams will focus on stopping the run they will need to use the pass more often.

Also, something that Pennington provides to the Vikings is experience and leadership, and the ability to actually help develop Jackson. Grossman still needs a ton of developing.

Hell, I hope Minnesota does sign Grossman because that would be great for us as he doesn't fit the system. But realistically, a better fit for Grossman is a system that runs the Air Croyell. That is why Detroit would be a much better suitor. 49'ers as well could be a good fit with Martz there now (however, they did extend Hill).

Also, I can go without the gay-ass sarcastic comments, thank you very much.

What don't you comprehend about the West Coast Offense??? Are you so arrogant and in love with Grossman that refuse to admit that he just does not fit their offense? My god, get a grip.

Also, Troy Williamson is hardly a receiving threat. Pretty much, their only good receiver is Sidney Rice, and he is a very good option for the middle of the field and is a great possession receiver (and could be more then that in a couple years. I really like Rice back at USC [not the Trojans] and was a big fan of his in the draft last year).

So, in the WCO, the QB doesn't have to have a canon arm. In the WCO offense you go for the short passes to actually set up the run. That requires a QB who has a short quick release and is very accurate (Grossman does have a real quick release however). However, the QB also needs to be able to get outside the pocket and be able to throw on the move. Pennington can do that, Grossman can not. The Vikings are a bit different though, because they can set up the pass using the run, obviously, but now that teams will focus on stopping the run they will need to use the pass more often.

Also, something that Pennington provides to the Vikings is experience and leadership, and the ability to actually help develop Jackson. Grossman still needs a ton of developing.

Hell, I hope Minnesota does sign Grossman because that would be great for us as he doesn't fit the system. But realistically, a better fit for Grossman is a system that runs the Air Croyell. That is why Detroit would be a much better suitor. 49'ers as well could be a good fit with Martz there now (however, they did extend Hill).

Also, I can go without the gay-ass sarcastic comments, thank you very much.

Actually my point had nothing to do with Grossman being a good fit, it was more Pennington being a bad fit. Just because a team runs a certain offense doesnt mean any qb that is good in the system even if they switch teams. Minny has a good run blocking offensive line. They are very good overall but they arent as lights out in pass protection. Pennington is a check down, dink and dunk throw for 150 yards and a td qb. Minnesota doesnt have the personnel for Pennington. Like I said before, everyone knows Pennington has no arm so teams wont have to respect the ONLY benefit that their receivers have, which is speed.

I understand the idea of quarterback who is smart and eliminates mistakes would seem like a good fit for a team with a dominant rushing game and good defense. I just think that Penningtons arm would be too much a liability and he doesnt have any weapons that suit his strengths. When a qb like Chad doesnt have his safety net dump off receiver and has to start taking more chances and shy away from his game he is gonna start to make mistakes.

I know youre gonna keep eluding to my Grossman comment but I seriously dont think he is a good fit there, I was obviously being a smart ass, I just thought it was funny to see you say the Vikings wouldnt want Grossman because hes too immobile but Chad Pennington is a good fit. Do you not see the irony in that?