The Chris Berman thread

balta1701-A

I've put the shrp instruments away...

No surprise. Teams would be foolish to pass on that guy... (Sorry, I couldn't resist) :rolleyes:

I was really targeting another player but the Jets foiled that and I went for a home run with the result providing help for Jay Cutler so that he can emulate his great predecessor a little by giving him a back capable of producing taking pressure off and producing like TD or Portis but with more power! Too high to take a WR.

The Mendenhall love has already made a mockery of this draft.

First of all, the trade is a bit steep. Seems like the Denver Broncos gave up a lot.

Second, with the Broncos track record of picking up RBs late, and plugging in uknown guys, it's highly doubtful they'd go for Mendenhall that early.

Third, the Broncos already have Travis Henry, Mike Bell, and Selvin Young. So drafting Mendenhall that early, or a RB in the first to begin with, is beyond ridiculous.

Fourth, and probably most important, there is no way in hell that the Broncos pass up on Ellis (DT) given that they were 30th in rush defense last year.

Once a pick like that is made, the balance of the rest of the draft is thrown off for a while because a team will have to go with an option that wouldn't have been their first if it actually played out realistically.

I do see your point, but once I saw that trades were allowed, I knew it would have the potential to get silly...

No one can really guess if and when it will happen...and that alone skews everything.

First of all, the trade is a bit steep. Seems like the Denver Broncos gave up a lot.

Second, with the Broncos track record of picking up RBs late, and plugging in uknown guys, it's highly doubtful they'd go for Mendenhall that early.

Third, the Broncos already have Travis Henry, Mike Bell, and Selvin Young. So drafting Mendenhall that early, or a RB in the first to begin with, is beyond ridiculous.

Fourth, and probably most important, there is no way in hell that the Broncos pass up on Ellis (DT) given that they were 30th in rush defense last year.

Once a pick like that is made, the balance of the rest of the draft is thrown off for a while because a team will have to go with an option that wouldn't have been their first if it actually played out realistically.

First of all I used the draft value chart. I gave Dre Blye a 3rd round grade because I didnt think he was worth a second round grade, that is why the fourth rounder is in there.

Secondly Parker is picking for the Broncos not you, so quit crying.

First of all I used the draft value chart. I gave Dre Blye a 3rd round grade because I didnt think he was worth a second round grade, that is why the fourth rounder is in there.

Secondly Parker is picking for the Broncos not you, so quit crying.

I'm not crying. I see that I have hit on a nerve.

This trade and selection is precisely why I didn't participate in the draft. I knew that someone would not take it seriously. For the Broncos to not only trade up, but then to take Mendenhall, would be considered the worst move in draft history.

This trade and selection is precisely why I didn't participate in the draft. I knew that someone would not take it seriously. For the Broncos to not only trade up, but then to take Mendenhall, would be considered the worst move in draft history.

The worst move in draft history? I'd say that's just a bit of a stretch.

I probably wouldn't have made the same move if I were in Denver, but it could well be that Shanahan is getting tired of having RB's who aren't dominating players like he'd hope they are regardless of his blocking scheme, and might go for a RB to take pressure off of Cutler. I was very surprised when they traded for Travis Henry for the same reason everyone else cites...they're so used to turning average RB's in to great ones, but the league and players certainly do change with time, and they might well decide its time to add a high skill level RB to their scheme.

Need I state that this is for fun? I think a vast majority doing this are trying to do what they think will happen or what they feel should happen.

I think you're upping the "drama" quotient rather high calling it the worst move in draft history. Something tells me that there have been far morse...

I presonally participated because I thought it would be fun. I'm taking my picks seriously, and was hoping to see how the ebb and flow would be. But I'm not putting any more or less stock into this than any other mock draft there. I'm having fun with it, I think other are too. I'm sorry that you are not.

I was really targeting another player but the Jets foiled that and I went for a home run with the result providing help for Jay Cutler so that he can emulate his great predecessor a little by giving him a back capable of producing taking pressure off and producing like TD or Portis but with more power! Too high to take a WR.

Jason:

I guess you did not read my post discussing why I picked Mendenhall -- Yes I gambled to move up ahead of Cincey because I was hoping that Golhston the DE would be available but once he was gone I went with Rashard because their is value later on for DL, OL, & WR help for the Broncos. I traded Bly beacuse he is toast since he was un willing to move to safety and it is time for Foxworth to start. Henry and Young were both hurt last season and Mendhall was the backup plan when Gohlston was taken. Normally I would not have made a trade so ealry to move up unless my guy was there but since this is a mock and not being done in real time it definatley did not happen in an ideal way but we agreed to trade anyway.

by the way, did you think the draft was silly 2 years ago when Shanahan traded up to number 11 for Cutler???

I was just wondering since you jumped to conclusions in this mock.

...............it's an internet message board mock draft.

Looks like Clady to Chicago.

Carolina seriously considered Clady, but they just signed Wharton and Gross, and their RB situation is almost as much of a joke as the Bears. Stewart will be a stud in this league, so good pick by them.

Jason:

I guess you did not read my post discussing why I picked Mendenhall -- Yes I gambled to move up ahead of Cincey because I was hoping that Golhston the DE would be available but once he was gone I went with Rashard because their is value later on for DL, OL, & WR help for the Broncos. I traded Bly beacuse he is toast since he was un willing to move to safety and it is time for Foxworth to start. Henry and Young were both hurt last season and Mendhall was the backup plan when Gohlston was taken. Normally I would not have made a trade so ealry to move up unless my guy was there but since this is a mock and not being done in real time it definatley did not happen in an ideal way but we agreed to trade anyway.

by the way, did you think the draft was silly 2 years ago when Shanahan traded up to number 11 for Cutler???

I was just wondering since you jumped to conclusions in this mock.

I respect the fact that you have reasoning behind it, but it is nonetheless a horrible pick. Maybe I was a bit harsh earlier when I said worst ever. I think that the Herschel Walker madness between the Vikings and Cowboys may have been worsee (in hindsight), and the entire draft for Ricky Williams was also worse (in hindsight). Either way, drafting Mendenhall when they have Henry, Bell, and Young is just insane...especially when you admit to targeting a DE and Ellis was still on the board.

As for Cutler...I didn't think it was anything like this. Plummer never has been a very good QB, or a very trustworthy QB. Drafting Cutler was a pretty good move. Not to mention the fact that they were not nearly as stacked at QB then as they are at RB now (essentially three Grossman's at RB).

Last but not least, I wouldn't say I "jumped to conclusions". I reacted to the selection. If I had said something before you made the pick, then I would agree that it was jumping to a conclusion. This is just disbelief at, no offense, a horrible pick when considering their team needs..

...............it's an internet message board mock draft.

What's your point?

The entire purpose of a mock draft is to play it out, debate the picks, and see who may get a steal. When you throw in a completely unbelieveable pick, it throws off the entire course of the draft.

Also, since this is a Bears message board, and I respect the group here more than most other boards/fans/mocks, I would expect a little more realism.

I respect the fact that you have reasoning behind it, but it is nonetheless a horrible pick. Maybe I was a bit harsh earlier when I said worst ever. I think that the Herschel Walker madness between the Vikings and Cowboys may have been worsee (in hindsight), and the entire draft for Ricky Williams was also worse (in hindsight). Either way, drafting Mendenhall when they have Henry, Bell, and Young is just insane...especially when you admit to targeting a DE and Ellis was still on the board.

As for Cutler...I didn't think it was anything like this. Plummer never has been a very good QB, or a very trustworthy QB. Drafting Cutler was a pretty good move. Not to mention the fact that they were not nearly as stacked at QB then as they are at RB now (essentially three Grossman's at RB).

Last but not least, I wouldn't say I "jumped to conclusions". I reacted to the selection. If I had said something before you made the pick, then I would agree that it was jumping to a conclusion. This is just disbelief at, no offense, a horrible pick when considering their team needs..

Jason:

You certainly are entitled to have your opinion but that does not make you necessarily right or this selection horid unless RM turns out to be CB. The Broncos have a lot of needs on OFF and DEF and while Sedrick Ellis is a good prospect; he is not flawless and there is good DT depth available later in the draft and that is why I could not pass on a stud RB like Mendenhall (who should also reward the Broncos for the risk of moving up and losing a 4th rd pick).

You can say what you want about the Broncos having Henry (durability and off the field issues), Bell and Young who also were injured last year are nice role players but nothing special. I could not take a WR that high at least with this years talent pool and there are offensive lineman that the broncos like that will be available later.

Every year there are a few radically twist to the draft that will often raise a few eye brows but lets see how the rest of the draft unfolds before you bang to hard on the 1st round pick.

Jason:

You certainly are entitled to have your opinion but that does not make you necessarily right or this selection horid unless RM turns out to be CB. The Broncos have a lot of needs on OFF and DEF and while Sedrick Ellis is a good prospect; he is not flawless and there is good DT depth available later in the draft and that is why I could not pass on a stud RB like Mendenhall (who should also reward the Broncos for the risk of moving up and losing a 4th rd pick).

You can say what you want about the Broncos having Henry (durability and off the field issues), Bell and Young who also were injured last year are nice role players but nothing special. I could not take a WR that high at least with this years talent pool and there are offensive lineman that the broncos like that will be available later.

Every year there are a few radically twist to the draft that will often raise a few eye brows but lets see how the rest of the draft unfolds before you bang to hard on the 1st round pick.

Agreed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And every year someone makes a wild move that throws off the course of the draft. And it is my opinion, that if this move played out in real life, it would go down as one of the worst trades and then picks in draft history. I believe every single draft "expert" would criticize the move (not that I really respect them).

As an experiment, I went to three different Broncos message boards. To be quite honest, I was shocked to see some people thinking of going the RB route in the first. It validated the pick, somewhat. However, many more Broncos' fans criticize the move, pointing to the same thing I have mentioned.

To each his own, I guess.

Interesting on Kelly going to Tampa Bay. The Bills reportedly were strongly considering him, they really need a big receiver to go with a west coast style offense (all of their receivers right now are below 6 foot), but he went in for a pro-day, ran like a 4.7 40, and wound up blaming the conditions. I didn't like any part of what I read about that, so I went with a bit of a reach on the guy from Michigan State, who has a much better 40 time and might be able to be a bit of a kick returner also.

Interesting on Kelly going to Tampa Bay. The Bills reportedly were strongly considering him, they really need a big receiver to go with a west coast style offense (all of their receivers right now are below 6 foot), but he went in for a pro-day, ran like a 4.7 40, and wound up blaming the conditions. I didn't like any part of what I read about that, so I went with a bit of a reach on the guy from Michigan State, who has a much better 40 time and might be able to be a bit of a kick returner also.

Yes, I like Delvin Thomas also. The only question mark I see with Kelly is his speed. I am not one to take a lot of stock in times ran in shorts and sprinter shoes. I think he has enough speed to go along with his atheticism to make an immediate contribution to Tampa Bay's offense. However, he could also turn out to be another Mike Williams. (I think the kid has a good work ethic and attitude so I do not envision this.)