The Chris Berman thread

balta1701-A

Man, despite being what people would consider a weak WR class, the WR's are flying off the board this year in the first.

So many teams need WR, so that isn't all that surprising. Snap up the few good ones before they are gone.

So, while we wait for Hester to select the Bear's 2nd rd selection, any guesses as to how the Bears will go?

Will the Bears go WR, OL, RB, QB, S, DT, ?????

About this time next week we will know all the picks for the Bears 2008 Draft. My guess is most of the posters are going to be pissed saying Angelo blew the draft because he did not select the players they wanted. Happens EVERY YEAR. Should be interesting for sure.

I have a feeling that if Mendenhall is available, the Bears will take him regardless of needs.

I still think the right decision is best OL available in round 1, at least 2 OL before the end of round 4, and throw in a WR in round 2-3 if there's one available the team likes.

Since the bears chose OT - Clady in the first there are a few intringuing players available:

WR: Eddie Royal, Manningham, Earl Bennett, Will Franklin

RB: Chris Johnson, Forte, Smith

S: Reggie Smith

DT: Dre Moore, Pat Sims, Trevor Laws

OG: Roy Schuening, Eric Young Tennessee, Kerry Brown

I would stay on the Offensive side of the ball and draft:

RB: Chris Johnson (home run threat and good receiver)

Since the bears chose OT - Clady in the first there are a few intringuing players available:

WR: Eddie Royal, Manningham, Earl Bennett, Will Franklin

RB: Chris Johnson, Forte, Smith

S: Reggie Smith

DT: Dre Moore, Pat Sims, Trevor Laws

OG: Roy Schuening, Eric Young Tennessee, Kerry Brown

I would stay on the Offensive side of the ball and draft:

RB: Chris Johnson (home run threat and good receiver)

I would take Forte over Johnson any day.

Agreed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And every year someone makes a wild move that throws off the course of the draft. And it is my opinion, that if this move played out in real life, it would go down as one of the worst trades and then picks in draft history. I believe every single draft "expert" would criticize the move (not that I really respect them).

As an experiment, I went to three different Broncos message boards. To be quite honest, I was shocked to see some people thinking of going the RB route in the first. It validated the pick, somewhat. However, many more Broncos' fans criticize the move, pointing to the same thing I have mentioned.

To each his own, I guess.

I could see someone feeling that way because Mendenhall will probably be available when the Broncos pick or at least there is a good shot he will be. If he isn't there, than it likely means the Bronco's will have there pick of one of the top tackles on the board (which is another need position for them). The same scenario could very well play out for Chicago.

However, the one reason I couldn't call this one of the worse trades ever is because Mendenhall would give the Bronco's there most talented RB since Clinton Portis and I'd be pretty surprised if Mendenhall (barring injury) doesn't have at least a solid career and he obviously has the upside/potential to have a tremendous career and therefor assuming you get production out of the guy it would really be hard pressed to consider the move that bad of one (aside from my belief that Mendenhall would be available at the Broncos pick).

I also see the logic to building the offense and than going DT later on (or maybe even trying to move up later in the draft, dangling your own 2nd and Travis Henry or another pick) to take a guy like Balmer from NC late in the 1st if he's there). Giving Jay Cutler an impact back to work with could really make that entire offense pretty dynamic (and Jay has shown plenty of flashes as to why he was drafted when he was).

Yes, I like Delvin Thomas also. The only question mark I see with Kelly is his speed. I am not one to take a lot of stock in times ran in shorts and sprinter shoes. I think he has enough speed to go along with his atheticism to make an immediate contribution to Tampa Bay's offense. However, he could also turn out to be another Mike Williams. (I think the kid has a good work ethic and attitude so I do not envision this.)

To me I'm less concerned with his speed and more concerned with his Knees and questionable comments. I think his play on the field showed he was able to generate seperation and make plays, so its just a matter of him not getting into trouble or saying stupid things and staying healthy, imo.

In fact, this is the type of guy who could realistically fall all the way to the Bears 2nd round pick.

I could see someone feeling that way because Mendenhall will probably be available when the Broncos pick or at least there is a good shot he will be. If he isn't there, than it likely means the Bronco's will have there pick of one of the top tackles on the board (which is another need position for them). The same scenario could very well play out for Chicago.

However, the one reason I couldn't call this one of the worse trades ever is because Mendenhall would give the Bronco's there most talented RB since Clinton Portis and I'd be pretty surprised if Mendenhall (barring injury) doesn't have at least a solid career and he obviously has the upside/potential to have a tremendous career and therefor assuming you get production out of the guy it would really be hard pressed to consider the move that bad of one (aside from my belief that Mendenhall would be available at the Broncos pick).

I also see the logic to building the offense and than going DT later on (or maybe even trying to move up later in the draft, dangling your own 2nd and Travis Henry or another pick) to take a guy like Balmer from NC late in the 1st if he's there). Giving Jay Cutler an impact back to work with could really make that entire offense pretty dynamic (and Jay has shown plenty of flashes as to why he was drafted when he was).

Thanks for the positve feedback. I am not sure that you saw the earlier post but I did trade Travis Henry + the Broncos second round pick to Cincy for Chad Johnson 85! My original plan to move up to the 7th overall was to take DE Gohlston but ht e jets beat me to that pick and that is when I had to get someone who fit a need and warranted that high of a pick, which is why I selected RB - Mendenhall knowing that i could get a DL line help later on.