Michael Jordan vs. Kobe Bryant

jason

Is anyone else getting tired of the Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant comparisons? I could put up a ton of stats and anecdotal evidence that shows there is really no comparison, but it sure does seem to be getting more and more buzz as the years go on. Kobe's great, but he's nowhere near MJ.

I live in LA, and I've been sick of it, for what seems like a decade. There is no comparision...other than, they both play basketball for a loving, have 2 arms, 2 legs, wear shorts to work and were coached by Phil Jackson.

Jordon is better than Kobe. 'Nuff said.

Is anyone else getting tired of the Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant comparisons? I could put up a ton of stats and anecdotal evidence that shows there is really no comparison, but it sure does seem to be getting more and more buzz as the years go on. Kobe's great, but he's nowhere near MJ.

MJ may be the greatest sports figure of all-time, or at least top 10 (in all sports). If he doesn't retire early, the Bulls win 8 straight championships. Kobe is great, but he is several tiers below Jordan (along with everyone else). Jordan has done things beyond belief, while Kobe has done things in Denver. :ph34r:

MJ may be the greatest sports figure of all-time, or at least top 10 (in all sports). If he doesn't retire early, the Bulls win 8 straight championships. Kobe is great, but he is several tiers below Jordan (along with everyone else). Jordan has done things beyond belief, while Kobe has done things in Denver. :ph34r:

I've been telling people this for years. If Jordan didn't take the 2 year hiatus for baseball, the Bulls easily win 8 straight. And if he didn't retire when he did, they may have filled up both hands (i.e. two for the thumbs).

Its an unfair comparison for Kobe. Hes never going to be on Jordans level in the eyes of the public but that shouldnt diminish anything hes done. He truly is one of the greatest players of all time.

Are you saying that the public's eyes aren't accurate, or that the public is wrong?

I couldn't agree more...

Let's see- Jordan never cried like a baby and demanded a trade if they didn't get somebody else, Jordan never went 1.5 4th quarters of the playoffs with 1 free throw, he never gave the ball up so he wouldn't have to take the shot, and Jordan still has 2 more rings.

Are you saying that the public's eyes aren't accurate, or that the public is wrong?

neither because IMO I think Jordan was hands down better so Im not saying the public is wrong. Im saying that no matter what he does he more than likely wont be considered better than Jordan to the fans. Unless for whatever reason Kobe can win this championship and 3 or 4 more. I just dont think the comparison is really fair. He shouldnt have to be measured against the greatest ever to validate his career.

Let's see- Jordan never cried like a baby and demanded a trade if they didn't get somebody else, Jordan never went 1.5 4th quarters of the playoffs with 1 free throw, he never gave the ball up so he wouldn't have to take the shot, and Jordan still has 2 more rings.

3 rings as of now

3 rings as of now

Yeah, but aren't those more "Shaq's Rings" than "Kobe's Rings"? Sure, they both have the rings, but when people think about why they won those rings in LA, Kobe is the secondary reason and Shaq is the primary.

Yeah, but aren't those more "Shaq's Rings" than "Kobe's Rings"? Sure, they both have the rings, but when people think about why they won those rings in LA, Kobe is the secondary reason and Shaq is the primary.

Then that just helps prove my point even more. Here are some stats I dug up, for the playoffs:

Jordan

FG% MIN REB STL FT% FTPG REBPG PTSPG

49 7474 1152 376 83 9.9 6.4 33

Kobe

FG% MIN REB STL FT% FTPG REBPG PTSPG

45 5731 741 194 80 7.7 5 25

Again, never compare the 2.

Oops, almost forgot rings- MJ: 6, Kobe: 3

So, yet again, never compare the 2.