Free Agents

Wesson44

One question for you..who and what postions in the upcoming FA market should we target? IMHO It should be QB,FS/SS, OG,OT,WR

I just looked at some of the names at QB and found it had names like Cassel from the Patriots, Garcia from the Bucs, Collins from the Titians, Garrard from the Jaguars, and of course Qrton & Grossman. At WR Colston/Moore from the Saints, TO from Dallas, TJ H from the Bengals And Oline Dahl from the Falcons and Thomas from the Eagles,at DB Jones at SS from the Browns. With some of these playes we could make a real good push next year.

Has anyone heard the status about Bently from the Browns at C/OG?

Leroy Hill OLB from Seattle. Solid solid player.

My list says Tank Johnson is a FA as well...just throwin it out there.

Stacy Andrews OT CIN

IMO as far as QB goes you draft one and let Hanie and the newcomer battle for #2.

I might also go for a tier 2 FA leftover at G (but in this scenario Im assuming we draft at least one)

Okay first off, Jacksonville gave Garrard a huge deal last year- something like 6-80. Secondly, Colston isn't a FA until after the 2011 season. Third, Orton isn't a FA this offseason. He still has all of next year under contract. Lastly, Moore is a RFA after the year, so that means we'll have to give up a pick for him.

So, I'm not quite sure where you get your information from...

Anyways:

Give me Collins (although I think Tennessee will give him a 1 or 2 year deal to stay behind Young). I can't believe I'm about to say this but I wouldn't mind giving Rex a 2 year deal but I know he'll go somewhere like KC.

I'd love Housh but he's getting up there and I don't want another Moose.

Shane Olivea, San Diego's starting RT, was benched last year but he has a 6-20 contract on his back. I wouldn't mind giving up a 2nd and maybe a 4th. Many think of him as one of the best RT's in the game.

The list is simply not up to date, as it obviously doesn't reflect players who signed extensions with their teams (Garard/Orton/Colson).

I have been using PFWs list, which also shows who is an UFA and who is a RFA.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Featu...istbypos.htm#wr

Give me Collins (although I think Tennessee will give him a 1 or 2 year deal to stay behind Young). I can't believe I'm about to say this but I wouldn't mind giving Rex a 2 year deal but I know he'll go somewhere like KC.

Not sure we are going to get Collins, or anyone for that matter. I have a hard time seeing Tenn letting him go. They have Vince Young, but after this year, I question how much confidence they will have in him going forward. So I think they are going to make a hard push to keep Collins, and so long as he believes he will have an opportunity to play in Tenn, I have a hard time seeing him coming here. No freaking way I want Rex. I think it is simply time to move on. I mean, the guy gets on the field and is boo'd. He may workout elsewhere, but I think he is simply done in Chicago.

I'd love Housh but he's getting up there and I don't want another Moose.

While some can point to that age being similar, I think that is about all that is similar. Moose was a very inconsistent WR who we signed coming off a career year, and one in which he hadn't put up similar numbers in years. In TJ, you have a WR who has been the model of consistency for some time, and done so w/o CJ opposite him this year. TJ will cost a boat load, but seems like our best option as any other #1 WR would cost a huge contract PLUS draft picks.

Shane Olivea, San Diego's starting RT, was benched last year but he has a 6-20 contract on his back. I wouldn't mind giving up a 2nd and maybe a 4th. Many think of him as one of the best RT's in the game.

I don't know. Many talked about him in the offseason, but he saw VERY little interest after being cut by SD. I am not even sure where he is, or what his status is. When you do a player search for him on ESPN, it shows him being part of the NYGs, but then when you look at the Giants roster and depth chart, he is not listed. I am not sure if that means he is injured, on IR, or what, but I am not sure he is thought of as highly as you think, and definitely do not believe his value warrants giving up draft picks, and especially not 1st day picks.

Not to mention the team Cassel comes from. W/ the coaching there, it is not that much of a shock he has done well, but w/o that coaching, I question what the expectations for him should be. If he were cheap, that would be one thing, but w/ the season he is having, another team is likely to pony up big bucks, and I just question how smart that would be.

He will cost to much forget it. And remember that would be based on just 1 year. We were saying the same exact thing last year about Anderson in Cleveland and I do I really need to mention those stats.

I generally agree.

No FA QB. I'd still be tempted by McNabb depending on offer and how Kyle finishes out...

But all else equal, we keep Kyle and draft a QB to compete w/ Hanie for eventual successor.

Honestly I don't think we need to look at QB. Orton has done a very nice job and I believe that the future of the team is Caleb Hanie.

He will cost to much forget it. And remember that would be based on just 1 year. We were saying the same exact thing last year about Anderson in Cleveland and I do I really need to mention those stats.

Uh, maybe you want to realize he was playing behind Tom Brady before he got hurt?

Different situation than Anderson, bud.

Let me clear this up for you people, Orton isn't the ANSWER!

It is a different situation...Cassell has the advantage on playing on a team with good players around him, good coaches and good mgmt. Anderson didn't. Cassell would probably continue to thrive in that environment.

But him in ours, and I don't think he thrives.

Also, who's really to say if Cassell isn't just good because he's on THAT team? Anderson struck lightning last year, and could only stirke a sleeping sloth this season...

Before out-laying an astronomical was of loot for him, I'd prefer to see more...

Is Orton the answer? I guess, what is the question exactly? Franchise? I don't think so, but he's a fantastic stop gap between now and when we eventually groom a real replacement to start in 2 years. But he need that guy on roster now... Maybe it's Hanie, but I want to draft one to compete with Hanie for that eventual role.

Uh, maybe you want to realize he was playing behind Tom Brady before he got hurt?

Different situation than Anderson, bud.

Let me clear this up for you people, Orton isn't the ANSWER!

I don't know. Many talked about him in the offseason, but he saw VERY little interest after being cut by SD. I am not even sure where he is, or what his status is. When you do a player search for him on ESPN, it shows him being part of the NYGs, but then when you look at the Giants roster and depth chart, he is not listed. I am not sure if that means he is injured, on IR, or what, but I am not sure he is thought of as highly as you think, and definitely do not believe his value warrants giving up draft picks, and especially not 1st day picks.

Honestly, I thought he was still with the Chargers. Thanks.

Olivea injured his back towards the end of the exhibition season with the Giants.

Olivea and the Giants had an injury settlement and Olivea was released and is a FA.

We should have around 20 million in cap room next year, so that should leave us with plenty of cash to make a big time free agent signing, and I am hoping that signing is Terrell Suggs. Spending money anywhere else then DE in this free agent class would be stupid, IMO. Build the oline through the draft, and to fix our pass rushing problems, sign a beast like Suggs.

We should have around 20 million in cap room next year, so that should leave us with plenty of cash to make a big time free agent signing, and I am hoping that signing is Terrell Suggs. Spending money anywhere else then DE in this free agent class would be stupid, IMO. Build the oline through the draft, and to fix our pass rushing problems, sign a beast like Suggs.

Smartest thing youve ever said

Can we please use a backup RB next season? And no not AP for the love of god.

Possible backup RB's:

Maurice Morris, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

Morris has always been a back under the radar—mainly because he was backing up Shaun Alexander for a period—but he has good vision and speed. He cracked the 100-yard mark in week twelve for the first time since week ten of the '06 season. He is receiving limited carries but has averaged more than five yards per rush and may be a useful backup come next season. Seattle has a lot of questions to answer and Morris may not be in the plans for the future.

Ricky Williams, UFA, Miami Dolphins

Williams has shown flashes of the back that he was in his early days, but he has been inconsistent and less than impressive most of the time. Williams is over 30 and not likely to be a starter with anyone, but he gets a mention because of his controversial past. There is a team out there that will take a chance on him if the Dolphins are unwilling to retain his services. Look for Williams to try and land somewhere as a backup.

As for WR's.........

If we can't land Houshmazilly, i'd like to see us go after Devery Henderson.

I'd also like to see us go after Jordan Gross for this not so good O-Line.

There are some good free agents out there this year.

I suspect JA is ready to dip into the market. He has pretty much finished signing everyone worth extending who is currently on the team and has made several moves to put us in excellent cap room next year. I do not think this is by accident. Even though he has always been an advocate of building through the draft, do not be surprised if he dips into the UFA market this year to give us some upgrades needed. I doubt he will trade picks for a restricted free agent.

2009 Free Agent Offensive Lineman

There are quite a few names I recognize as UFA OLmen who could be an immediate upgrade. We should still draft an OT & OG to develop and pick up a UFA OT & OG. We have too many OLmen on our roster that need to be jettisoned.

2009 Free Agent Wide Receivers

Wide Receiver is a major need for development. We are solid at TE with Olsen, Clark, & Davis. However, WR, Ouch. I do not see a lot of help in the FA market so we may have to hope for a team cutting a player who would provide an upgrade. Drafting WRs is OK but they take time to develop.

2009 Free Agent Defensive Backs

2009 Free Agent Defensive Linemen

2009 Free Agent Linebackers

2009 Free Agent Running Backs

2009 Free Agent Quarterbacks