Payton tries comeback with Argos

flea

Sunday, June 7, 2009

MISSISSAUGA, Ont. -- Jarrett Payton has a new lease on his football life.

The son of legendary NFL rusher Walter Payton signed with the Toronto Argonauts on Sunday and participated with his new teammates in the first of two scheduled workouts as CFL teams officially opened training camp.

Payton, 28, was the Montreal Alouettes' rushing leader in 2007 with 852 yards over 13 games while scoring eight touchdowns. But he missed most of training camp last year with an ankle injury and was replaced by Avon Cobourne.

Montreal tried to trade Payton, but released him July 2, 2008 when a deal couldn't be worked out. Payton ended up sitting out the entire season but that didn't diminish his desire to continue playing.

"I got married in March so it slowed my life down a little bit but football has been on my mind," said Payton. "This is something I truly love.

"I don't play for the money, I play for the passion, the camaraderie, my teammates. Since I got here (Saturday) it feels like I came to guys who feel they know me already and it's like a brotherhood. I'm so glad to be back."

Payton played collegiately at Miami, rushing for 1,018 yards and seven TDs his senior season and was named the MVP of the '04 Orange Bowl. But he was bypassed in the NFL draft and signed as a free agent with the Tennessee Titans in 2005.

He was allocated to NFL Europe, where he played for the Amsterdam Admirals under current Argos head coach Bart Andrus. That season, Payton was a league all-star and helped the Admirals capture the World Bowl before returning to the Titans. However, Payton's stay in Tennessee was a short one as he was released by the club prior to the '06 season.

Payton signed with Montreal following the '06 campaign and ironically scored his first CFL touchdown in a game against Toronto on Aug. 2, 2007. The Argos invited Payton to a free-agent camp in Orlando in April, where he worked out under the watchful eye of Andrus.

"I just tried to prove myself and show that I still have what I had in "07 and '08 and even play better if I have the right team and people around me," Payton said.

Andrus said he liked what he saw from Payton at the camp.

"We had a chance to look at Jarrett in Orlando and felt he was physically fit and able to continue to play," Andrus said. "There is a great deal of competition at that position ... and knowing Jarrett's personality he will come in and compete.

"Whether he ends up making the team, that's yet to be seen. That's more in his control than anybody's but he's in the best shape that I've ever seen him in, as are the other backs that reported here."

The competition at running back is certainly steep. Payton is among eight at his position, including incumbent Jamal Robertson, Tyler Ebell (who missed last season with a torn Achilles tendon), Canadians Jeff Johnson, Andre Durie and Bryan Crawford as well as highly touted Da'shawn Thomas, who spent last season on the practice roster.

Payton has no qualms about competing for a job.

"I didn't want anything handed to me," he said. "I just wanted an opportunity.

"When you have no job and you're at home, beggars can't be choosers. If this doesn't work out here, this might be my last go-around. I'll leave everything on this field. If it doesn't happen I know I can walk away saying I did everything I could for myself to help this team."

Toronto also re-signed receiver Todd Lowber on Sunday while placing defensive back Brad Crawford and defensive end Clifford Dukes on the suspended list.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers opened their training camp by signing Canadian safety Ian Logan to a contract extension. Logan originally signed with the CFL club as a free agent in 2006 and cracked the Bombers' starting lineup last season, recording 38 tackles and two sacks.

Prior to camp, the Bombers released veteran quarterback Ryan Dinwiddie, who started for the club in its Grey Cup loss to Saskatchewan in 2007. Winnipeg opens camp without its two quarterbacks from last season as during the off-season the club released former starter Kevin Glenn, who is now with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

The Edmonton Eskimos will open the season without Adam Braidwood. The Eskimos placed the veteran defensive lineman on the nine-game injured list, the result of a knee injury he suffered late last season. Also, defensive back Anthony Malbrough has decided not to report to camp while linebacker Ryan Glasper isn't attending due to an unspecified medical ailment.

Veteran offensive lineman Sherko Haji-Rasouli was among five players placed on the suspended list by the B.C. Lions. The CFL club said Haji-Rasouli is attending to a personal matter in Ontario. Also placed on the suspended list were offensive lineman Martin Bibla, receivers Anthony Russo and Jason Jones and defensive back Trestin George.

Saskatchewan long-snapper Jocelyn Frenette was also placed on the suspended list while Canadian defensive back LeRon Mitchell, who missed much of last year with a broken leg, went on the nine-game injured list.

.Meanwhile, Payton isn't mounting a CFL comeback in order to get another opportunity south of the border. If he has a future in football, he says it will be in Canada playing a game he has come to love.

"This is the best football in the world and even if I had the opportunity to go back to the NFL ... no money would bring me back to the NFL," Payton said. "You have to be well rounded, up here you just can't be a running back. The field is so wide you have to be able to do so many different things.

"You have to be able to pass block, you have to be able to catch balls, you have to be able to do everything. That's what my dad always taught me as a young kid when I watched him. To me, he wasn't the best runner, he was the best all-around football player that I've ever seen."

Walter Payton was among the best players ever to suit up in the NFL. The former Chicago Bears star was the league leader in rushing yards (16,726) and all-purpose yards (21,803) before retiring after the '87 season. He died Nov. 1, 1999 of a rare liver disease at the age of 45.

But Jarrett Payton says his father would've not only loved playing Canadian football, but excelled at it.

"He could do everything and I think up here, this would be my dad's league," he said. "If he didn't play in the NFL and played up here he would be a stud.

"He could do it all."

It's hard not to root for the guy!

Sunday, June 7, 2009

MISSISSAUGA, Ont. -- Jarrett Payton has a new lease on his football life.

The son of legendary NFL rusher Walter Payton signed with the Toronto Argonauts on Sunday and participated with his new teammates in the first of two scheduled workouts as CFL teams officially opened training camp.

Payton, 28, was the Montreal Alouettes' rushing leader in 2007 with 852 yards over 13 games while scoring eight touchdowns. But he missed most of training camp last year with an ankle injury and was replaced by Avon Cobourne.

Montreal tried to trade Payton, but released him July 2, 2008 when a deal couldn't be worked out. Payton ended up sitting out the entire season but that didn't diminish his desire to continue playing.

"I got married in March so it slowed my life down a little bit but football has been on my mind," said Payton. "This is something I truly love.

"I don't play for the money, I play for the passion, the camaraderie, my teammates. Since I got here (Saturday) it feels like I came to guys who feel they know me already and it's like a brotherhood. I'm so glad to be back."

Payton played collegiately at Miami, rushing for 1,018 yards and seven TDs his senior season and was named the MVP of the '04 Orange Bowl. But he was bypassed in the NFL draft and signed as a free agent with the Tennessee Titans in 2005.

He was allocated to NFL Europe, where he played for the Amsterdam Admirals under current Argos head coach Bart Andrus. That season, Payton was a league all-star and helped the Admirals capture the World Bowl before returning to the Titans. However, Payton's stay in Tennessee was a short one as he was released by the club prior to the '06 season.

Payton signed with Montreal following the '06 campaign and ironically scored his first CFL touchdown in a game against Toronto on Aug. 2, 2007. The Argos invited Payton to a free-agent camp in Orlando in April, where he worked out under the watchful eye of Andrus.

"I just tried to prove myself and show that I still have what I had in "07 and '08 and even play better if I have the right team and people around me," Payton said.

Andrus said he liked what he saw from Payton at the camp.

"We had a chance to look at Jarrett in Orlando and felt he was physically fit and able to continue to play," Andrus said. "There is a great deal of competition at that position ... and knowing Jarrett's personality he will come in and compete.

"Whether he ends up making the team, that's yet to be seen. That's more in his control than anybody's but he's in the best shape that I've ever seen him in, as are the other backs that reported here."

The competition at running back is certainly steep. Payton is among eight at his position, including incumbent Jamal Robertson, Tyler Ebell (who missed last season with a torn Achilles tendon), Canadians Jeff Johnson, Andre Durie and Bryan Crawford as well as highly touted Da'shawn Thomas, who spent last season on the practice roster.

Payton has no qualms about competing for a job.

"I didn't want anything handed to me," he said. "I just wanted an opportunity.

"When you have no job and you're at home, beggars can't be choosers. If this doesn't work out here, this might be my last go-around. I'll leave everything on this field. If it doesn't happen I know I can walk away saying I did everything I could for myself to help this team."

Toronto also re-signed receiver Todd Lowber on Sunday while placing defensive back Brad Crawford and defensive end Clifford Dukes on the suspended list.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers opened their training camp by signing Canadian safety Ian Logan to a contract extension. Logan originally signed with the CFL club as a free agent in 2006 and cracked the Bombers' starting lineup last season, recording 38 tackles and two sacks.

Prior to camp, the Bombers released veteran quarterback Ryan Dinwiddie, who started for the club in its Grey Cup loss to Saskatchewan in 2007. Winnipeg opens camp without its two quarterbacks from last season as during the off-season the club released former starter Kevin Glenn, who is now with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

The Edmonton Eskimos will open the season without Adam Braidwood. The Eskimos placed the veteran defensive lineman on the nine-game injured list, the result of a knee injury he suffered late last season. Also, defensive back Anthony Malbrough has decided not to report to camp while linebacker Ryan Glasper isn't attending due to an unspecified medical ailment.

Veteran offensive lineman Sherko Haji-Rasouli was among five players placed on the suspended list by the B.C. Lions. The CFL club said Haji-Rasouli is attending to a personal matter in Ontario. Also placed on the suspended list were offensive lineman Martin Bibla, receivers Anthony Russo and Jason Jones and defensive back Trestin George.

Saskatchewan long-snapper Jocelyn Frenette was also placed on the suspended list while Canadian defensive back LeRon Mitchell, who missed much of last year with a broken leg, went on the nine-game injured list.

.Meanwhile, Payton isn't mounting a CFL comeback in order to get another opportunity south of the border. If he has a future in football, he says it will be in Canada playing a game he has come to love.

"This is the best football in the world and even if I had the opportunity to go back to the NFL ... no money would bring me back to the NFL," Payton said. "You have to be well rounded, up here you just can't be a running back. The field is so wide you have to be able to do so many different things.

"You have to be able to pass block, you have to be able to catch balls, you have to be able to do everything. That's what my dad always taught me as a young kid when I watched him. To me, he wasn't the best runner, he was the best all-around football player that I've ever seen."

Walter Payton was among the best players ever to suit up in the NFL. The former Chicago Bears star was the league leader in rushing yards (16,726) and all-purpose yards (21,803) before retiring after the '87 season. He died Nov. 1, 1999 of a rare liver disease at the age of 45.

But Jarrett Payton says his father would've not only loved playing Canadian football, but excelled at it.

"He could do everything and I think up here, this would be my dad's league," he said. "If he didn't play in the NFL and played up here he would be a stud.

"He could do it all."

I have always rooted for Jarrett in his entire football career. From his time at St. Viator's, then in Miami, with the Titans and WLAF and now in the CFL. I hope that Jarrett makes the team and eventually some how gets another opportunity in the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...

A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the

Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset's case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United

States, her attorney said. world of warcraft gold

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at the fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she

downloaded was 99 cents.

Health Top Tips Nutrition Love Lifestyle Happiness Weight Loss

buy wow gold

She plans to appeal, he said.

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America, said the association was

"pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable."

"We appreciate the jury's service and that they take this as seriously as we do," she said.

cheap wow gold

Thomas-Rasset downloaded work by artists such as No Doubt, Linkin Park, Gloria Estefan and Sheryl Crow.

This was the second trial for Thomas-Rasset. The judge ordered a retrial in 2007 after there was an error in

the wording of jury instructions.

world of warcraft gold

The fines jumped considerably from the first trial, which granted just $220,000 to the recording companies.

Thomas-Rasset is married with four children and works for an Indian tribe in Minnesota.

Sorry, but how is this and some of your other posts in this section "Sports" related? These should go in the "Water Cooler" section, no?

A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the

Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset's case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United

States, her attorney said. world of warcraft gold

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at the fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she

downloaded was 99 cents.

Health Top Tips Nutrition Love Lifestyle Happiness Weight Loss

buy wow gold

She plans to appeal, he said.

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America, said the association was

"pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable."

"We appreciate the jury's service and that they take this as seriously as we do," she said.

cheap wow gold

Thomas-Rasset downloaded work by artists such as No Doubt, Linkin Park, Gloria Estefan and Sheryl Crow.

This was the second trial for Thomas-Rasset. The judge ordered a retrial in 2007 after there was an error in

the wording of jury instructions.

world of warcraft gold

The fines jumped considerably from the first trial, which granted just $220,000 to the recording companies.

Thomas-Rasset is married with four children and works for an Indian tribe in Minnesota.