Jeff Garcia anyone?

jason

I suppose.

But I think no decisions until after the bye. We may need the roster space of LB's if our giuys can't get healthy.

Other than that, I see no harm.

Jeff Garcia just got cut. Wouldn't it be a good security blanket to have him in Chicago? The guy has proven himself in the NFL, and I'm not all that impressed with the Bears' backup QBs.

What could it hurt? Thoughts?

I suppose.

But I think no decisions until after the bye. We may need the roster space of LB's if our giuys can't get healthy.

Other than that, I see no harm.

No way, I like our backup in Caleb Hanie. What has this guy done to piss people off and not like. Do people think he sucks just because he hasn't played in a game yet. I personally would rather keep that space open in case of injury to a position.

Guest TerraTor
No way, I like our backup in Caleb Hanie. What has this guy done to piss people off and not like. Do people think he sucks just because he hasn't played in a game yet. I personally would rather keep that space open in case of injury to a position.

Id rather add Brooks (LBs)

It's not that he's pissed me off. I just don't think Hanie is all that good. Even in the preseason games in which he's playing against lesser talent, he hasn't impressed. His arm is average, his accuracy is average, and nothing really stands out. Garcia on the other hand is a vet, a guy who may not have a cannon for an arm, but has proven that he can get it done and can put the ball on the money.

As for the reason he got cut, we should all know by now that a lot of the veterans who get cut have salary as one of the reasons. I'm sure any team would rather have a proven vet over an unproven rookie (provided the guy is not a highly touted or highly drafted younger player), if the prices are nearly the same.

Garcia would be all wrong for this offense - while he might be a more accomplished QB than Hanie, he'd necessitate big changes in the offensive playcalling. Cutler enables our offense to keep taking shots down the field even when his protection breaks down; Garcia makes his receivers come back to help him out, even when the protection is sound.

If you watch Garcia, he gets out of the pocket almost immediately on a huge number of plays - even if his protection is pretty solid (like it was in Tampa) he scrambles like he's about to get sacked. He makes some plays despite that, but his completions come when his receivers work back to the ball. Garcia's not bad at throwing on the run, but he's got a Brian Griese/Chad Pennington type of arm: our whole passing game would be very different if he ever had to play.

I've always thought that the best backup QB is one who can run basically the same plays at your starter, even if he doesn't run them as well. From the little bit I've seen in preseason games, Hanie definitely looks like a poor man's Cutler: he scrambles well, and he still has a lot of power in his throws when he's out of the pocket. His accuracy and timing aren't on par with Cutler's, but that's why he's the backup. If he ever has to step in for Cutler (obviously, I hope he doesn't,) we could still keep a lot of continuity on offense.

Greg Cosell wrote a pretty good article on Garcia and Byron Leftwich - he sums up most of the problems with Garcia's game.