Turner admits short yardage mistake!

madlithuanian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read that one and also over on the sun times. Now I hope that Ron learns from his mistakes and never will we see Wolfe on third and short yardage plunge into the line.

Stop the presses Turner admits he was wrong?

You're right admitting it and changing are two different things, but let's hope that he does in fact change it. I think he needs to change the way he uses wolf altogether. Running the shortest guy on your team up the gut is not a wise use. Wolf has speed and would be better utilized in the short passing game out of the backfield, RB screen, and outside runs to utilize his speed. We run him into a wall of defenders and you negate his best asset.

agreed!

You're right admitting it and changing are two different things, but let's hope that he does in fact change it. I think he needs to change the way he uses wolf altogether. Running the shortest guy on your team up the gut is not a wise use. Wolf has speed and would be better utilized in the short passing game out of the backfield, RB screen, and outside runs to utilize his speed. We run him into a wall of defenders and you negate his best asset.

I really do not like this RB rotation we have going. I understand we want to spell Forte, but I just do not understand the all or nothing approach. Why do we have to sit Forte for an entire series? Or why do we have to play Wolfe for an entire series. Why can we not just rotate our backs. If Forte sits, and Wolfe or AP come in, but we get near the goal line, I would rather see Forte return. Just like if Wolfe breaks off a good run, but we are in 3rd and 1, we need to change our RB.

You see teams all the time rotate their backs. I just don't understand why we have this mentality that one back must play an entire series, rather than rotate what back plays based on down and distance and such.

When we had that 3rd and 1, w/ Wolfe in there, I thought for sure McKie was going to take the handoff.

Seriously...I don't get it either.

I really do not like this RB rotation we have going. I understand we want to spell Forte, but I just do not understand the all or nothing approach. Why do we have to sit Forte for an entire series? Or why do we have to play Wolfe for an entire series. Why can we not just rotate our backs. If Forte sits, and Wolfe or AP come in, but we get near the goal line, I would rather see Forte return. Just like if Wolfe breaks off a good run, but we are in 3rd and 1, we need to change our RB.

You see teams all the time rotate their backs. I just don't understand why we have this mentality that one back must play an entire series, rather than rotate what back plays based on down and distance and such.

When we had that 3rd and 1, w/ Wolfe in there, I thought for sure McKie was going to take the handoff.

Seriously...I don't get it either.

here is something i don't get...

2nd quarter about 2.5 mins left in the half, 3rd and goal at the hawks 1 yard line. turner calls a running play. the LG pulls while our LT downblocks to the right, the right side of the line downblocks to the left pinching the middle while forte drives up the middle toward the endzone all the while the left guard goes around the right end blocking with the fullback untouched.

the results? forte stuffed in the middle for no gain and it's 4th and goal.

what kind of a call is that? did they really practice this during the week and expect it to work? am i not remembering this right?

I'll I'm saying is...

It's time for some posters to EAT CROW!

I, and several others, have questioned some of the dumb calls Turner has made. One specifically was diving Wolfe into the middle of the line on consecutive plays. When Turner called it against Minnesota it was incredibly dumb. When he did it this time, it was almost as dumb. Now he admits to the mistake. Given the speed with which he makes game-time adjustments (read: slowly), maybe he just didn't realize his mistakes until the second time.

Why are we eating crow? Because there are some plays, or some aspects, of our offensive playcalling that we question. I really would love to meet this perfect offensive coordinator you compare everyone to. He must be a great guy. He isn't employed in the NFL, but must be great regardless.

EVERY OC in the league makes questionable calls. Everyone of them.

On the play prior to the questionable 3rd down call, Wolfe went up the middle and gained 6 yards. Now, that is not to say he should have been called on to do the same on 3rd and 1, but was it wrong to call for Wolfe to go up the middle. Prior to that, he went off tackle for a 3 yard gain as well, which may not sound like much, but is more than Forte got on most of his runs for the day.

I thought you were one who felt Wolfe was more than just a 3rd down back. I thought you felt Wolfe could really carry the load. Well, that means more than just screens and sweeps. He needs to also show he can run it up the gut. Again, that doesn't mean on 3rd and short.

Point is, that is one play. I personally am not in favor of how we are rotating series, but is that enough to eat crow? I don't think so.

Our offense is looking pretty good right now, and doing so w/ near no help from the OL. A RB really struggling. A great QB, but new to the team and system, which often results in inconsistent play. WRs who, while talented, are really lacking in experience and learning on the fly. This was an offense I felt would get better as the season went along, but is gelling far sooner than most would have expected.

Is Turner perfect. God no! I am not sure how good/great he is either. I do think he is doing a pretty solid job, and felt that way last year too. Last year, we lacked at most every unit, and yet our offense did fairly well.

I guess my ultimate point to you would be this. Like w/ the WR position, it is really hard to evaluate an offensive coordinator when you don't have a QB. You know the lipstick and pig saying. We now have a QB, and I think can really evaluate Turner. So far, there have been some questionable calls, which again, I would argue every coach makes, but on the whole, I think he has called a pretty good game. IMHO, players and execution are holding us back at the moment rather than coaching.

I'll I'm saying is...

It's time for some posters to EAT CROW!

I, and several others, have questioned some of the dumb calls Turner has made. One specifically was diving Wolfe into the middle of the line on consecutive plays. When Turner called it against Minnesota it was incredibly dumb. When he did it this time, it was almost as dumb. Now he admits to the mistake. Given the speed with which he makes game-time adjustments (read: slowly), maybe he just didn't realize his mistakes until the second time.

...add that to the never-ending baffling list on "What Was The Staff Thinking?"

here is something i don't get...

2nd quarter about 2.5 mins left in the half, 3rd and goal at the hawks 1 yard line. turner calls a running play. the LG pulls while our LT downblocks to the right, the right side of the line downblocks to the left pinching the middle while forte drives up the middle toward the endzone all the while the left guard goes around the right end blocking with the fullback untouched.

the results? forte stuffed in the middle for no gain and it's 4th and goal.

what kind of a call is that? did they really practice this during the week and expect it to work? am i not remembering this right?

I think Turner calls a good 1/2 game. The other half is fair to poor.

I make not bones about it, I've never been a Turner fan except for the a brief moment when he was first hired hoping for something that would never come to fruition. He been outright atrocious many years. This year, he's been better more often than bad. But, I'm not sure that's good enough. It might be for Smith and JA, but unless I see some decent improvment, my attitude of wanting better won't change.

He simply make far too many boneheaded play calls. How many time does he have to hear fans, media, etc blast him for running Wolfe up the middle? This wasn't one time in one game. It's happened numerous times. And I fell bad for Wolfe. It's not his fault, and he takes the brunt of it since it's his name. You simply do not place Horatio Saenz in to run against U. Bolt in a srpint. Give your team a chance to win...

Turner seems to fail at this simple equation far more often that one should given his experience and salary.

One, specifically on Wolfe, while I disagreed w/ (and he admitted it was a mistake) the 3rd and 1 call, prior to that Wolfe ran outside for 3 and up the gut for 6. According to you, he should have never had that 6 yard gain. If all we ever do is run Wolfe to the outside, then we are predictable, which is something I think you have ripped Turner for.

Two, I simply think that no matter the OC, fans are going to find plays to question. Did you watch the Cowgirls v Carolina Monday night game? In that game, Dallas was running at will on Carolina. They have a HUGE size advantage in the trench w/ one of the biggest OLs in the league, and had an freakish 8 ypc run average. They had the ball at the 1 yard line on 2nd down. Jason Garrett, their golden boy OC, calls for a pass play, which everyone questioned, but okay, they took a shot. But on 3rd and goal, they again went to the air, and again, no good. They settled for a FG. Just think about that one for a moment. Carolina has shown no ability to stop the run, and yet on two plays at the one yard line, you don't even try to run it in. By kicking the FG, Dallas only went ahead by 6 and kept Carolina in the game.

Point of that story is, no matter what coach or team, you will find playcalls that just baffle fans, announcers and everyone else watching.

IMHO, Turner has mixed it up a lot more this year, and I credit him for that. I still believe this year's issues are far more about execution than playcalling. That is not to say playcalling is perfect, but simply that is has not been the problem some say.

Third, I actually give Turner credit for the job he did last year. Entering the season, we had an OL that stunk, a QB who at best was considered a game manager, a rookie RB and a group of flat out weak WRs. Yet our offense was not bad, and ranked 14th in the league in terms of scoring. And different from previous seasons, he did that w/o help from the defense, which was pretty pathetic.

I used to rip Turner as well, but I began to give him credit for last year, and further, more and more, I have begun to really wonder how much of the past issues were turner, as opposed to what he had to work with.

I think Turner calls a good 1/2 game. The other half is fair to poor.

I make not bones about it, I've never been a Turner fan except for the a brief moment when he was first hired hoping for something that would never come to fruition. He been outright atrocious many years. This year, he's been better more often than bad. But, I'm not sure that's good enough. It might be for Smith and JA, but unless I see some decent improvment, my attitude of wanting better won't change.

He simply make far too many boneheaded play calls. How many time does he have to hear fans, media, etc blast him for running Wolfe up the middle? This wasn't one time in one game. It's happened numerous times. And I fell bad for Wolfe. It's not his fault, and he takes the brunt of it since it's his name. You simply do not place Horatio Saenz in to run against U. Bolt in a srpint. Give your team a chance to win...

Turner seems to fail at this simple equation far more often that one should given his experience and salary.

Read that one and also over on the sun times. Now I hope that Ron learns from his mistakes and never will we see Wolfe on third and short yardage plunge into the line.

He's been doing this long enough. This should have not happened. period. Know your personnel.

C'mon nfo, give me more credit than that! We should change up plays. However, not just do it to be tricky. And i swear that's what Turner does far too often. he overthinks it, and gets it wrong. I have no probalem running Wolfe up the gut once we've already had a first down conversion and it's first or second down. Youmust keep them honest. But, you run outside with him, or cutback, or off-tackle, or whatever until they really stop it. I am not opposed to going to the well if it's still full of water. Once the bucket comes up empty, time to find a new well.

Earlier you mentioned, why is Wolfe spelling Forte. And I agree. Wolfe should be in when down and distance call for it really. ...and when Forte needs a break. But if Forte needs a break on a crucial 3-1, now is not the time to get fancy. If you want to get fancy, at least put the ball in the best players' hands, and that would be Cutler's. Otherwise, give it to Peterson, Cutler for a sneak...just not to Wolfe up the midle or the darn fullback!

Just becasue Garrett is a golden boy of OC's, doesn't mean he's great. But regardless, yes, not matter who we get, there will be something to complain about. That part of football. However, there's a difference between complaining, and seeing a constant failure to the obvious. Turner has botched similar all throughout his recent tenure here. He needs to held accountable. 'm not saying dump him...yet. But he should be on close watch with the rest of this staff. We cannot afford to Mickey Mouse around when we have the talents of Cutler and a few others on this club. I don't want to jump out of the frying pan and land in the fire. But nor do I want to keep cooking without any oil in the pan...

You mention execution is the problem. But really? Is Cutler f'in up drastically? Is the running game really f'in up, or do we not just have the talent on the O-line? Failure to execute means the talent is there and athey are not getting it done. I'm not so sure the talent is there (on the O-line). Shouldn't the coaches know what we can or can't do? I may want to run the ball against Baltimore, but if my only running back is my 80 year old history teacher from high school, I'm taking my shots with the passing game.

Turner did a better job last year, I'll agree. Especially compared to the atrocious year before where he basically deserved to be fired... And yes, you can only play the hand you're dealt with so well...but I am convinced after numerous years of watching him coordinate, that sometimes he loses too often with straight flushes...

One, specifically on Wolfe, while I disagreed w/ (and he admitted it was a mistake) the 3rd and 1 call, prior to that Wolfe ran outside for 3 and up the gut for 6. According to you, he should have never had that 6 yard gain. If all we ever do is run Wolfe to the outside, then we are predictable, which is something I think you have ripped Turner for.

Two, I simply think that no matter the OC, fans are going to find plays to question. Did you watch the Cowgirls v Carolina Monday night game? In that game, Dallas was running at will on Carolina. They have a HUGE size advantage in the trench w/ one of the biggest OLs in the league, and had an freakish 8 ypc run average. They had the ball at the 1 yard line on 2nd down. Jason Garrett, their golden boy OC, calls for a pass play, which everyone questioned, but okay, they took a shot. But on 3rd and goal, they again went to the air, and again, no good. They settled for a FG. Just think about that one for a moment. Carolina has shown no ability to stop the run, and yet on two plays at the one yard line, you don't even try to run it in. By kicking the FG, Dallas only went ahead by 6 and kept Carolina in the game.

Point of that story is, no matter what coach or team, you will find playcalls that just baffle fans, announcers and everyone else watching.

IMHO, Turner has mixed it up a lot more this year, and I credit him for that. I still believe this year's issues are far more about execution than playcalling. That is not to say playcalling is perfect, but simply that is has not been the problem some say.

Third, I actually give Turner credit for the job he did last year. Entering the season, we had an OL that stunk, a QB who at best was considered a game manager, a rookie RB and a group of flat out weak WRs. Yet our offense was not bad, and ranked 14th in the league in terms of scoring. And different from previous seasons, he did that w/o help from the defense, which was pretty pathetic.

I used to rip Turner as well, but I began to give him credit for last year, and further, more and more, I have begun to really wonder how much of the past issues were turner, as opposed to what he had to work with.

I'm lucky enough to watch Bears game with a former college coach who now scouts part time and works closely with Bill Belliceck. Prior to being a college coach he coached at a premiere SoCal high school which had produced a copy 1st round picks in recent years.

Usually we only chat briefly (he's a die-hard Bears fan and has turned down a couple jobs with the Bears over the years, in scouting roles) each week about the team, etc. But this past week we were talking a bit more extensively and he was telling me about the Bears coaches and what he thinks of them and what he's heard from his colleagues around the league as well as something about a few players.

The big things he told me were the following (and again, this is just one opinion, although I'd qualify that point by saying it is a pretty well respected opinion):

Ron Turner - One of the 5 best offensive minds in the game. Around the league he's very highly respected and he gets a lot of credit for getting as much as possible despite poor lines and mediocre talent.

Brian Urlacher - Been a league average linebacker at best the past couple seasons and that is a league wide reputation.

Lance Briggs - One of the 3 best LB's in the game and he should excel with Urlacher out

I'm lucky enough to watch Bears game with a former college coach who now scouts part time and works closely with Bill Belliceck. Prior to being a college coach he coached at a premiere SoCal high school which had produced a copy 1st round picks in recent years.

Usually we only chat briefly (he's a die-hard Bears fan and has turned down a couple jobs with the Bears over the years, in scouting roles) each week about the team, etc. But this past week we were talking a bit more extensively and he was telling me about the Bears coaches and what he thinks of them and what he's heard from his colleagues around the league as well as something about a few players.

The big things he told me were the following (and again, this is just one opinion, although I'd qualify that point by saying it is a pretty well respected opinion):

Ron Turner - One of the 5 best offensive minds in the game. Around the league he's very highly respected and he gets a lot of credit for getting as much as possible despite poor lines and mediocre talent.

Brian Urlacher - Been a league average linebacker at best the past couple seasons and that is a league wide reputation.

Lance Briggs - One of the 3 best LB's in the game and he should excel with Urlacher out

I agree with the part about Briggs. Hes been to several pro bowls now and he was named Defensive Player of the Week for a reason last week recording 8 tkls, 1int and 1 sack.

Good points here. If Wolfe is to be considered a true backup, then he needs to be able to run the whole playbook, including up the middle on third and one.

Turner is not nearly as bad as people make him out to be on this board.

Great insight. Thanks for posting. I agree completely on Briggs. He is head and shoulders above Url now and has been for a few yrs.

Peace :dabears

Not to be snide, but Forte pretty much did the same thing on 3-1 at the goal line before the 4th down TD, and got stuffed. Maybe it's the line...

Good points here. If Wolfe is to be considered a true backup, then he needs to be able to run the whole playbook, including up the middle on third and one.

Turner is not nearly as bad as people make him out to be on this board.

Interesting...

Why are we eating crow? Because there are some plays, or some aspects, of our offensive playcalling that we question. I really would love to meet this perfect offensive coordinator you compare everyone to. He must be a great guy. He isn't employed in the NFL, but must be great regardless.

EVERY OC in the league makes questionable calls. Everyone of them.

On the play prior to the questionable 3rd down call, Wolfe went up the middle and gained 6 yards. Now, that is not to say he should have been called on to do the same on 3rd and 1, but was it wrong to call for Wolfe to go up the middle. Prior to that, he went off tackle for a 3 yard gain as well, which may not sound like much, but is more than Forte got on most of his runs for the day.

I thought you were one who felt Wolfe was more than just a 3rd down back. I thought you felt Wolfe could really carry the load. Well, that means more than just screens and sweeps. He needs to also show he can run it up the gut. Again, that doesn't mean on 3rd and short.

Point is, that is one play. I personally am not in favor of how we are rotating series, but is that enough to eat crow? I don't think so.

Our offense is looking pretty good right now, and doing so w/ near no help from the OL. A RB really struggling. A great QB, but new to the team and system, which often results in inconsistent play. WRs who, while talented, are really lacking in experience and learning on the fly. This was an offense I felt would get better as the season went along, but is gelling far sooner than most would have expected.

Is Turner perfect. God no! I am not sure how good/great he is either. I do think he is doing a pretty solid job, and felt that way last year too. Last year, we lacked at most every unit, and yet our offense did fairly well.

I guess my ultimate point to you would be this. Like w/ the WR position, it is really hard to evaluate an offensive coordinator when you don't have a QB. You know the lipstick and pig saying. We now have a QB, and I think can really evaluate Turner. So far, there have been some questionable calls, which again, I would argue every coach makes, but on the whole, I think he has called a pretty good game. IMHO, players and execution are holding us back at the moment rather than coaching.

The point I'm making is that some on here act as if Turner is infallible, and can't be questioned. On this play specifically, members of this board, including me, crucified Turner for it. All we were met with was, "You don't know because you're not in the NFL." Well, here is a guy in the NFL who says that he got it wrong. He admits to making a stupid call.

As for Wolfe, I do think he's more than a one trick pony. He is not, however, a power back, 3rd and short, run it up the pipe guy. As for Turner overall, I also think he's improved this year, and I've said as much. This is simply more about some on this board who act as if we, the mere football fans, have no clue, and the coaches are unquestionable in their decisions.

Ron Turner - I just don't see it. And, frankly, if someone says that, then I have to question their opinion on this matter. Even the casual fan can recognize that Turner isn't in the top five. Unless, of course, I'm forgetting about when he completely baffled opponents with his play calling on a consistent basis, or coached an offensive team that scored well above league average for an extended period of time.

NFO - It's more about down and distance than the specific call. That call is not bad on first or second. But on third and short, the primary call in all levels of football is a power run up the middle. Everyone knows this. It's the offense saying, "We're getting one yard, and there is nothing you can do about it." But since it's such an obvious play, there is nearly no deception...which is why the play-action, QB roll out, toss to the TE works so well in that specific situation. So, to run Wolfe up the middle in that situation is simply a bad call. Turner admitted it, but, to be quite honest, I don't know he attempted after how horribly it worked in Minnesota last year. That play, for that situation, for that personnel, for that down and distance, should have been scratched from the playbook.