Forte compared to Salaam and Enis

adam

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,193266

I think it is a little too early for a comparison like this. Especially considering that Forte's rookie year was better than any year by either of the two. I also believe that he is playing injured, our O-Line has been bad in support of the run, teams have stacked the box, and we've played 2x 3-4 defenses.

Must not be a lot to write about...

It's a little too early for the panic button...

I think it is a little too early for a comparison like this. Especially considering that Forte's rookie year was better than any year by either of the two. I also believe that he is playing injured, our O-Line has been bad in support of the run, teams have stacked the box, and we've played 2x 3-4 defenses.

This is a joke Neither Enis or Salaam have the work ethic that Forte has. Forte will turn it around this yr. Just wait.

Peace :dabears

Agreed. Funny how times make people forget. People say Lovie holds rookies back, but few coaches held back rookies like Wanny, who gave James Allen the nod of Enis. Just as Enis proved himself and was given the start, and looked pretty darn good in that game, he blows out his knee. Fans also forget that he returned to the game and played (I think) the rest of the game w/ a knee that was essentially destroyed. He played another season or so after that, but was never healthy. I remember reading that, later, he essentially had to get a new knee. No clue what the means, but the opinion was his knee was totally destroyed.

Like Benson, Enis didn't do much to make fans love him, and thus when he didn't live up to the hype, fans didn't want to hear the excuses, but the reality is, Enis' career was destroyed by injury. Fans don't want to allow for that excuse because, well, fans don't like him. But that is the truth.

I actually thought Enis was starting to look good before he destroyed his knee. He was never the same after that.

Agreed. Funny how times make people forget. People say Lovie holds rookies back, but few coaches held back rookies like Wanny, who gave James Allen the nod of Enis. Just as Enis proved himself and was given the start, and looked pretty darn good in that game, he blows out his knee. Fans also forget that he returned to the game and played (I think) the rest of the game w/ a knee that was essentially destroyed. He played another season or so after that, but was never healthy. I remember reading that, later, he essentially had to get a new knee. No clue what the means, but the opinion was his knee was totally destroyed.

Like Benson, Enis didn't do much to make fans love him, and thus when he didn't live up to the hype, fans didn't want to hear the excuses, but the reality is, Enis' career was destroyed by injury. Fans don't want to allow for that excuse because, well, fans don't like him. But that is the truth.

I was at the game where he blew out his knee and you would not have known it from his play. He never went out of the game and looked very good.

Don't forget, however, that he was a drill rod. Remember, he beat up one of his teammates in practice.

Man this is starting to scare me. I was one of the few that actually liked him, although he has lots of issues.

Actually, I don't remember his beating up a teamate. Regardless, I said he was not liked, and yea, he was a dill rod. We have had our fair share of idiot RBs here. But that was sort of the point. Because he was not liked, injury was not seen as an "excuse". I would point to Marc Columbo. Most call him an injury related bust, rather than simply referring to him just as a bust. He was not a disliked person, thus fans are more allowing of the injury excuse. Enis is usually simply referred to as a total bust, even though he has a greater injury excuse than most.

I was at the game where he blew out his knee and you would not have known it from his play. He never went out of the game and looked very good.

Don't forget, however, that he was a drill rod. Remember, he beat up one of his teammates in practice.

IMHO, he and Benson were actually very similar. Both were talented, and even in similar style, but both were sort of jerks (misunderstood if you ask them) and thus fans always trashed them.

Man this is starting to scare me. I was one of the few that actually liked him, although he has lots of issues.

Rotoworld's Evan Silva has a pretty good take on Forte's slow start to the season:

"Similar to Ryan Grant last year, Matt Forte's quickness has been derailed by a lost preseason due to a hamstring injury. What should prevent Forte from having a down year like Grant's is his combo of receiving ability, superior talent, and Week 5 bye (Grant's was in Week 8). Chicago will move the ball easily Sunday, Forte will get goal-line carries, and he'll rest for the following two weeks."

I think this makes a lot of sense. Forte missed a ton of practice after the hamstring injury in June, and he only had 18 carries in the preseason. As a lot of people have said on these boards and elsewhere, he hasn't looked as quick or explosive as he did last season. If it's a problem with his conditioning, rather than injury, that could be really good news. Plenty of players who start the season with conditioning issues are able to get it going by midseason, and Forte's got a great work ethic. This is a guy who used to go run sprints at 4 AM when he couldn't sleep. I'm hopeful that he'll look like his old self after the bye.

Guest TerraTor

Anything to bash the 2nd city when theres nothing else to write about.... Wait til the great Sanchez actually plays a good defensive team and the Jets get demolished.

Hopefully tonight shut some people up, as far as the media goes. Forte looked like his old self: he showed some really nice quickness, made guys miss tackles, changed direction on a dime...he looked like that Matt Forte we had last season. If he was suffering from the lost preseason before, he certainly didn't seem to be tonight: 140 total yards, better than 10 yards a carry, and he's finally got that first TD. Glad to see he got it going.