Bears @ 49ers Game Thread

Ed Hochuli 3:16

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/11...oy-their-front/

Despite a four-game losing streak, 49ers tight end Vernon Davis remains confident heading into Thursday’s game against the Bears.

Make that extremely confident.

Asked for his thoughts on Chicago’s defense, Davis said the 49ers should roll.

“I think we can destroy their front,’’ he said. “The guys up front, I think we can destroy them. I don’t see anything spectacular about their front line.”

The Bears defense ranks 15th in the NFL heading into the game at Candlestick. They are 21st against the rush and 12th against the pass.

After a few days of watching game film, Davis said that Adewale Ogunleye was about the only player to catch his eye .

“Their linebackers, I think we can handle them pretty well,’’ he said. “I like Ogunleye. I like the way he’s playing up front. He’s about the only player I like on their defensive line. I think he’s doing a good job.”

You know it is bad when a team that has lost their last 4 is talking trash.

Briggs' response:

The Bears linebacker had nothing but praise for the 49ers’ leading receiver.

“Eighty-five’s having a great year,’’ Briggs said. “You know, he shows up on film a lot. A lot. He’s in position to get the ball thrown to him in tough coverages, and he’s still coming up with the ball, getting in the end zone.”

Is Briggs going to cover No. 85? He hopes so.

As it turns out, Briggs is confident about the matchup, too.

“It matches up well,’’ Briggs said. “It matches up four Pro Bowls well. I’ve been on the league going on seven years. So at some point the savvy and the know-how start to take over.”

I don't see a win here. I hope I am wrong, but I really don't see how we can stop Frank Gore after Hightower, Wells, and the 32nd ranked AZ rushing attack kicked our ass last week. Alex Smith may be bad, but our D is worse and we will not pressure him into mistakes. I see this one being close, but the 49'ers winning by 4.

Bears lose 24-20

Cutler 21-34, 226 yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT

Forte 16 carries, 66 yards, 3 catches, 19 yards

Wolfe 3 carries, 9 yards

Hester 6 catches, 67 yards, 1 TD

Bennett 5 catches, 53 yards

Knox 3 catches, 31 yards

Olsen 4 catches, 56 yards, 1 TD

Bears 23-21

Small point but Wolfe will miss the next few weeks

I tend to agree...

Our only hope is that Cutler gets on fire and puts up the numbers he did last week agasint a pretty good SF D. And that we hope Alex Smith makes some mistakes...

I don't see a win here. I hope I am wrong, but I really don't see how we can stop Frank Gore after Hightower, Wells, and the 32nd ranked AZ rushing attack kicked our ass last week. Alex Smith may be bad, but our D is worse and we will not pressure him into mistakes. I see this one being close, but the 49'ers winning by 4.

Bears lose 24-20

I tend to agree...

Our only hope is that Cutler gets on fire and puts up the numbers he did last week agasint a pretty good SF D. And that we hope Alex Smith makes some mistakes...

Actually, SF's defense is horrible against the pass (ranked 24th). The only problem for us is- their run D is ranked 4th, but that doesn't matter, as our OL couldn't even block for Forte against Cleveland, so it wouldn't matter if the 49ers defense was good or bad against the run.

I hope I'm wrong, but this game might be a- "we can't run again so now Jay has to make plays" game because if it's that, we might see a lot of INT's again. Keep in mind- Cutler has struggled at night this year and on the road. (11 of his 13 INT's are on the road IIRC).

This'll be a very telling game no matter how you slice it!

Actually, SF's defense is horrible against the pass (ranked 24th). The only problem for us is- their run D is ranked 4th, but that doesn't matter, as our OL couldn't even block for Forte against Cleveland, so it wouldn't matter if the 49ers defense was good or bad against the run.

I hope I'm wrong, but this game might be a- "we can't run again so now Jay has to make plays" game because if it's that, we might see a lot of INT's again. Keep in mind- Cutler has struggled at night this year and on the road. (11 of his 13 INT's are on the road IIRC).