Was JA hedging his bet?

AZ54

I was thinking today that perhaps JA has already hedged his bet that Lovie wouldn't turn around this team. For a head coach who still has two years remaining he didn't go out last year and hire a DC. He didn't extend Ron Turner's contract past this season. I don't know the timing of the assistant coaches contracts but my point is that the two largest contracts besides the HC don't exist in this organization. Was that done to make firing Lovie more financially acceptable? Wouldn't it have been more logical to hire a new DC since at the time Lovie still had 3 years left on his contract?

Clearly last year JA was the source of all the staff changes last year. Did JA have discussions with Ted Philips and plan for this contingency? Nothing more than speculation here but I'm wondering if there wasn't some sort of mandate given to Lovie (i.e. you must make the playoffs). By the way if there was any discussion about the scheme between JA/Lovie you have to say putting Lovie in full charge of the D is one of making him put up or shutup. In other words, if Lovie can't get the D to run right then there's nowhere for him to hide. I know some will point out the lack of talent but again, if we at least have average players why can't we be an average D? There's been plenty of threads here about players who've left here and became more productive on other teams.

I still can't see the Bears firing Lovie with two years left on the deal but I am wondering if his seat isn't a bit hotter than I know.

That's certainly a possibility!

I was thinking today that perhaps JA has already hedged his bet that Lovie wouldn't turn around this team. For a head coach who still has two years remaining he didn't go out last year and hire a DC. He didn't extend Ron Turner's contract past this season. I don't know the timing of the assistant coaches contracts but my point is that the two largest contracts besides the HC don't exist in this organization. Was that done to make firing Lovie more financially acceptable? Wouldn't it have been more logical to hire a new DC since at the time Lovie still had 3 years left on his contract?

Clearly last year JA was the source of all the staff changes last year. Did JA have discussions with Ted Philips and plan for this contingency? Nothing more than speculation here but I'm wondering if there wasn't some sort of mandate given to Lovie (i.e. you must make the playoffs). By the way if there was any discussion about the scheme between JA/Lovie you have to say putting Lovie in full charge of the D is one of making him put up or shutup. In other words, if Lovie can't get the D to run right then there's nowhere for him to hide. I know some will point out the lack of talent but again, if we at least have average players why can't we be an average D? There's been plenty of threads here about players who've left here and became more productive on other teams.

I still can't see the Bears firing Lovie with two years left on the deal but I am wondering if his seat isn't a bit hotter than I know.

We can only hope he was hedging. Let me add one more item to our favor.

I think Lovie would settle with the Bears for less than he is slated to make so he can get out of the contract. Lovie is still employable in this league and would rather work than sit home for two years.

Don't tease me bro'