first time fantasy football

BearFan2000

I think this is the right place to post this. A group of 10 people at work are going to be doing fantasy football. we'll have 2 divisions of 5 teams each, a playoff of 4 teams in weeks 15/16. Rosters will be 15 players so a 15 round draft. I will be a redraft league so we won't have keepers.

Starting roster and roster limits will be.

Quarterback:1

Running Back:2

Wide Receiver:2

Tight End:1

Wide Receiver / Running Back:1

Kicker:1

Defensive Team:1

Bench:6

Legue rules

Max Adds per SeasonNo Maximum

Max Adds per WeekNo Maximum

Max Trades per SeasonNo Maximum

Trade Review TypeLeague Votes (by team owners)

Trade Reject Time2 days

Trade DeadlineNovember 25, 2011

Waiver Period1 day

Waiver TypeResets Every Tuesday to Inverse Order of Standings

Waiver Lock TypeWaivers on Drop and Lock

Post Draft PlayersFollow Waiver Rules

Roster Lock TypeGame Time

Start of SeasonWeek 1

Scoring

Offense

Passing Completions:1 point

Incomplete Passes:-1 point

Passing Yards:1 point per 25 yards

Passing Touchdowns:4 points

Interceptions Thrown:-2 points

Every Time Sacked:-1 point

Rushing Yards:1 point per 10 yards

Rushing Touchdowns:6 points

Receptions:1 point

Receiving Yards:1 point per 10 yards

Receiving Touchdowns:6 points

Kickoff and Punt Return Yards:1 point per 25 yards

Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns:5 points

Fumble Recovered for TD:6 points

Fumbles Lost:-2 points

2-Point Conversions:2 points

Kicking

PAT Made:1 point

PAT Missed:-1 point

FG Made 0-19:3 points

FG Made 20-29:3 points

FG Made 30-39:3 points

FG Made 40-49:3 points

FG Made 50+:5 points

Defense / Special Teams

Sacks:1 point

Interceptions:2 points

Fumbles Recovered:2 points

Fumbles Forced:2 points

Safeties:2 points

Touchdowns:6 points

Blocked Kicks:2 points

Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns:6 points

Points Allowed 0:10 points

Points Allowed 1-6:7 points

Points Allowed 7-13:4 points

Points Allowed 14-20:1 point

Points Allowed 21-27:0 points

Points Allowed 28-34:-1 point

Points Allowed 35+:-4 points

Being a first time fantasy player I'm trying to cram to learn strategies, who to draft how many of which position, when to draft which positions. Our draft will be an online live draft a week before the start of the season. I've done a couple mock drafts will probably do more of them. I know I need to be aware of bye weeks and not pick starters who share the same bye week. But some things I see is a lot of mocks I rarely see anyone draft more than one defense but wouldn't you have one week out of the season that your one D would net you nothing because of bye or is that not a big enough worry to warrant a second draft spot. From what I'm gathering go RB early then QB/WR then TE, D, and last pick a kicker. Roster settings above and the points what would be some advice on strategy. Things I should avoid doing.

The only real way to figure out league are to play in it. So, your first year you should always see it as a trial and error period. Just be dilligent innoting what you did. This will come in handy if you see certain successes or failures. You then should adjust accordingly the following season. Generally speaking, your league looks pretty standard. Your thoughts of going RB, WB, WR, etc...are what most usually do. Most leagues are RB driven. However, with more and more teams splitting carries or having a goal line back, the position has been thinned out over the years. There are only a handful of guys that get both opportunities. Those are the guys you need to highlight and try to get early. Usualy you can pick up a decent QB after the first round. Then a decent WR in the 3rd. From there, it reallly amounts to some luck in finding diamonds in the rough.

I hope that helps some...

I think this is the right place to post this. A group of 10 people at work are going to be doing fantasy football. we'll have 2 divisions of 5 teams each, a playoff of 4 teams in weeks 15/16. Rosters will be 15 players so a 15 round draft. I will be a redraft league so we won't have keepers.

Starting roster and roster limits will be.

Quarterback:1

Running Back:2

Wide Receiver:2

Tight End:1

Wide Receiver / Running Back:1

Kicker:1

Defensive Team:1

Bench:6

Legue rules

Max Adds per SeasonNo Maximum

Max Adds per WeekNo Maximum

Max Trades per SeasonNo Maximum

Trade Review TypeLeague Votes (by team owners)

Trade Reject Time2 days

Trade DeadlineNovember 25, 2011

Waiver Period1 day

Waiver TypeResets Every Tuesday to Inverse Order of Standings

Waiver Lock TypeWaivers on Drop and Lock

Post Draft PlayersFollow Waiver Rules

Roster Lock TypeGame Time

Start of SeasonWeek 1

Scoring

Offense

Passing Completions:1 point

Incomplete Passes:-1 point

Passing Yards:1 point per 25 yards

Passing Touchdowns:4 points

Interceptions Thrown:-2 points

Every Time Sacked:-1 point

Rushing Yards:1 point per 10 yards

Rushing Touchdowns:6 points

Receptions:1 point

Receiving Yards:1 point per 10 yards

Receiving Touchdowns:6 points

Kickoff and Punt Return Yards:1 point per 25 yards

Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns:5 points

Fumble Recovered for TD:6 points

Fumbles Lost:-2 points

2-Point Conversions:2 points

Kicking

PAT Made:1 point

PAT Missed:-1 point

FG Made 0-19:3 points

FG Made 20-29:3 points

FG Made 30-39:3 points

FG Made 40-49:3 points

FG Made 50+:5 points

Defense / Special Teams

Sacks:1 point

Interceptions:2 points

Fumbles Recovered:2 points

Fumbles Forced:2 points

Safeties:2 points

Touchdowns:6 points

Blocked Kicks:2 points

Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns:6 points

Points Allowed 0:10 points

Points Allowed 1-6:7 points

Points Allowed 7-13:4 points

Points Allowed 14-20:1 point

Points Allowed 21-27:0 points

Points Allowed 28-34:-1 point

Points Allowed 35+:-4 points

Being a first time fantasy player I'm trying to cram to learn strategies, who to draft how many of which position, when to draft which positions. Our draft will be an online live draft a week before the start of the season. I've done a couple mock drafts will probably do more of them. I know I need to be aware of bye weeks and not pick starters who share the same bye week. But some things I see is a lot of mocks I rarely see anyone draft more than one defense but wouldn't you have one week out of the season that your one D would net you nothing because of bye or is that not a big enough worry to warrant a second draft spot. From what I'm gathering go RB early then QB/WR then TE, D, and last pick a kicker. Roster settings above and the points what would be some advice on strategy. Things I should avoid doing.

The only real way to figure out league are to play in it. So, your first year you should always see it as a trial and error period. Just be dilligent innoting what you did. This will come in handy if you see certain successes or failures. You then should adjust accordingly the following season. Generally speaking, your league looks pretty standard. Your thoughts of going RB, WB, WR, etc...are what most usually do. Most leagues are RB driven. However, with more and more teams splitting carries or having a goal line back, the position has been thinned out over the years. There are only a handful of guys that get both opportunities. Those are the guys you need to highlight and try to get early. Usualy you can pick up a decent QB after the first round. Then a decent WR in the 3rd. From there, it reallly amounts to some luck in finding diamonds in the rough.

I hope that helps some...

That does help and the RB's splitting carries and even duties does muddy the waters most teams are doing this now so perhaps WR is going to start edging out RB as far as fantasy value. Right now I'm doing a lot of research, and listening to all kind of podcasts, watching injuries, holdouts, signings, bye weeks, etc. Just soaking in as much info as I can to be as informed as I can heading up to the draft in a couple weeks. I plan on doing lots of mock drafts with the same number of teams in the league I'm joining to get used to the mechanics, and drafting from different spots since our draft order hasn't been set yet. Above all I look forward to having some fun and not trying to get too overwhelmed at trying to know everything right now.

I've kind of settled on a 15 man roster breakdown of the following which would double up on QB, TE, K, and Def. And would give me the flexibility to start either 3 RB or 3 WR in any given week. With one more RB than WR to start with. The fun thing will be fine tuning the roster over the season via trades, waivers, FA etc.

2 QB

4 RB

3 WR

2 TE

2 K

2 Def

and a rough draft order of this.

Rd 1 RB

Rd 2 RB

Rd 3 QB

Rd 4 WR

Rd 5 WR

Rd 6 RB

Rd 7 TE

Rd 8 WR

Rd 9 RB

Rd 10 TE

Rd 11 WR

Rd 12 Def

Rd 13 Def

Rd 14 K

Rd 15 K

From what you tell me, your plan sounds reasonable!

Plus take what I say with a grain of salt! I finished last in the TalkBears keeper league last year!

That does help and the RB's splitting carries and even duties does muddy the waters most teams are doing this now so perhaps WR is going to start edging out RB as far as fantasy value. Right now I'm doing a lot of research, and listening to all kind of podcasts, watching injuries, holdouts, signings, bye weeks, etc. Just soaking in as much info as I can to be as informed as I can heading up to the draft in a couple weeks. I plan on doing lots of mock drafts with the same number of teams in the league I'm joining to get used to the mechanics, and drafting from different spots since our draft order hasn't been set yet. Above all I look forward to having some fun and not trying to get too overwhelmed at trying to know everything right now.

I've kind of settled on a 15 man roster breakdown of the following which would double up on QB, TE, K, and Def. And would give me the flexibility to start either 3 RB or 3 WR in any given week. With one more RB than WR to start with. The fun thing will be fine tuning the roster over the season via trades, waivers, FA etc.

2 QB

4 RB

3 WR

2 TE

2 K

2 Def

and a rough draft order of this.

Rd 1 RB

Rd 2 RB

Rd 3 QB

Rd 4 WR

Rd 5 WR

Rd 6 RB

Rd 7 TE

Rd 8 WR

Rd 9 RB

Rd 10 TE

Rd 11 WR

Rd 12 Def

Rd 13 Def

Rd 14 K

Rd 15 K

I wouldnt carry 2 kickers and 2 defenses. Id start with 1 each and then load up on rb's and wr's and hope to get lucky on someone. Also I wouldnt go into a round saying youre going after a certain position. Id look for what the best available player is and if you have a use for him. Also, if you draft towards the end of the first round dont rule out going qb with one of your first 2 picks. Your league is gonna be really high scoring and with qbs getting points for completions having a top tier qb will make a huge difference. The middle of the road guys like big ben and eli are devalued because they wont throw as many passes as someone like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton etc.

Also in ppc leagues you can get a lot of value with guys who get more catches but may not normally be appealing, like a Reggie Bush type. Guys like Forte are also a lot more valuable in those types of leagues. Getting a guy like Andre Johnson early would also be something to look at. WRs that get over 100 catches a year and over 1000 yards are just as valuable as most running backs.

I wouldnt carry 2 kickers and 2 defenses. Id start with 1 each and then load up on rb's and wr's and hope to get lucky on someone. Also I wouldnt go into a round saying youre going after a certain position. Id look for what the best available player is and if you have a use for him. Also, if you draft towards the end of the first round dont rule out going qb with one of your first 2 picks. Your league is gonna be really high scoring and with qbs getting points for completions having a top tier qb will make a huge difference. The middle of the road guys like big ben and eli are devalued because they wont throw as many passes as someone like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton etc.

Also in ppc leagues you can get a lot of value with guys who get more catches but may not normally be appealing, like a Reggie Bush type. Guys like Forte are also a lot more valuable in those types of leagues. Getting a guy like Andre Johnson early would also be something to look at. WRs that get over 100 catches a year and over 1000 yards are just as valuable as most running backs.

Good points, I can always pick up a D and a kicker to cover the bye week. So maybe 4 RB, 4 WR, 3 QB, 2 TE, 1 K, 1 D. Or even 2 QB, 5 WR, 5 RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D. I'm still figuring out what number I want to shoot for for each position. I know that each draft is unique and really the flow of the draft will determine the order. If there is a run on QB's I may nab one earlier, same with RB's, or WR, etc. The flow of the draft I think will determine my order of players picked. So at this point it's only a guess. The only priority I know right now is starting RB, QB, and WR early part of draft, mid part of draft backups and second third string RB/WR/QB and my TE's, Last part of draft D and final pick Kicker. Definitely versatile backs who can catch well out of the backfield are better values than straight runners. Guys who split carries and only run between the 10s and don't really catch the ball much are the ones I'll pass on. Backs like Bush and Forte who are involved in the passing game are the type that I will target. There sure is a lot to take in and I know I'll learn a lot this season. Should be fun and looking forward to getting the fantasy season going.