Things that need to happen for 2012

BearsFan1974

I know I've been absent from the board for most of the season but work had called. I still have been fuming over what transpired the last 2 months or so.

Here are the Top-10 things that need to happen prior to 2012 if we have any hope:

1. Jerry Angelo needs to go before the draft. If McCaskey want's to make a name for himself on this team, this must be done. JA has pissed draft after draft away and they can't afford to let him shyt the bed again. JA has neglected to get a decent second string. He hasn't taken into account injuries occur or people won't pan out.

2. Martz and his offense need to go. For the last 2 years, they haven't clicked until 5-6 weeks into the season. I truly believe it's not all on the players. Some...yes...all...Martz. Martz' stubbornness and inability to adjust kills us.

3. The secondary needs revamping. Tillman had a great year, but that just exposed Jennings, Bowman, and the rest of the secondary's weaknesses. When the secondary started bleeding, we threw a cheap Wal-Mart bandage on it in Meriwether. We saw how that turned out.

4. Lovie doesn't necessarily need to go, but he needs to adapt. The Cover-2, Tampa-2 or WTF he wants to call it has been figured out. When Lovie came here, his first priority was beating GB. Well, GB figured out how to beat us and our defense. The 46 was figured out, the 9-wide is getting figured out, come with something new or bring boxes with you to work to pack up your office.

5. I'm not comfortable with the O-line. Webb-Gone, Omiyale-Gone, Louis has to improve. Chris Williams' injury history worries me and already Carimi is a concern. Edwin Williams and Chris Spencer I believe the jury is still out. I say draft a center that can step in and start right away and move Garza back to guard.

6. TE is a must in any offense. You look at NE, NO, and GB and they all have quality TEs. Kellen Davis isn't quality however I will hold back on writing him off. Maybe in a new offense he will thrive. I think we need to draft an upgrade. I'd rather have two who can play the position than one who might.

7. I have a bad feeling about Briggs and his contract situation. Trade him and get what you can before he sits out and we have nothing. Use those picks for upgrades in the secondary, o-line, and receiver.

8. WR. Once all the kings' men put Knox back together again, he'll still be a #4 or 5 WR. We need WR. We have a roster of five #4 or less receivers. Keep Bennett (mostly because of contract) but because he has that rapport with Cutler.

9. Get with the Chicago Park District, call the South Side, get the SodFather's number and have him fix the damn field. Falling receivers and slipping secondaries will not win up ball games plus stuck cleat sprain our RB's knee ligaments.

10. Marinelli needs to adjust. He sees that slants beat this offense. Yet, no adjustments are made. No different coverages, no scalding of CB who let it happen, not enough accountability. Well guess what, you're the coach and the accountability will ultimately fall on you and your head on that stick in front of Halas Hall.

I know I've been absent from the board for most of the season but work had called. I still have been fuming over what transpired the last 2 months or so.

Here are the Top-10 things that need to happen prior to 2012 if we have any hope:

1. Jerry Angelo needs to go before the draft. If McCaskey want's to make a name for himself on this team, this must be done. JA has pissed draft after draft away and they can't afford to let him shyt the bed again. JA has neglected to get a decent second string. He hasn't taken into account injuries occur or people won't pan out.

2. Martz and his offense need to go. For the last 2 years, they haven't clicked until 5-6 weeks into the season. I truly believe it's not all on the players. Some...yes...all...Martz. Martz' stubbornness and inability to adjust kills us.

3. The secondary needs revamping. Tillman had a great year, but that just exposed Jennings, Bowman, and the rest of the secondary's weaknesses. When the secondary started bleeding, we threw a cheap Wal-Mart bandage on it in Meriwether. We saw how that turned out.

4. Lovie doesn't necessarily need to go, but he needs to adapt. The Cover-2, Tampa-2 or WTF he wants to call it has been figured out. When Lovie came here, his first priority was beating GB. Well, GB figured out how to beat us and our defense. The 46 was figured out, the 9-wide is getting figured out, come with something new or bring boxes with you to work to pack up your office.

5. I'm not comfortable with the O-line. Webb-Gone, Omiyale-Gone, Louis has to improve. Chris Williams' injury history worries me and already Carimi is a concern. Edwin Williams and Chris Spencer I believe the jury is still out. I say draft a center that can step in and start right away and move Garza back to guard.

6. TE is a must in any offense. You look at NE, NO, and GB and they all have quality TEs. Kellen Davis isn't quality however I will hold back on writing him off. Maybe in a new offense he will thrive. I think we need to draft an upgrade. I'd rather have two who can play the position than one who might.

7. I have a bad feeling about Briggs and his contract situation. Trade him and get what you can before he sits out and we have nothing. Use those picks for upgrades in the secondary, o-line, and receiver.

8. WR. Once all the kings' men put Knox back together again, he'll still be a #4 or 5 WR. We need WR. We have a roster of five #4 or less receivers. Keep Bennett (mostly because of contract) but because he has that rapport with Cutler.

9. Get with the Chicago Park District, call the South Side, get the SodFather's number and have him fix the damn field. Falling receivers and slipping secondaries will not win up ball games plus stuck cleat sprain our RB's knee ligaments.

10. Marinelli needs to adjust. He sees that slants beat this offense. Yet, no adjustments are made. No different coverages, no scalding of CB who let it happen, not enough accountability. Well guess what, you're the coach and the accountability will ultimately fall on you and your head on that stick in front of Halas Hall.

2. "Martz' stubbornness and inability to adjust kills us." :blink: What? I mean, I know I'm about the only one on the board who likes him and his brand of offense, but saying he has an inability to adjust is like saying the sun has an inability to get warm. If anything, he's proven this year he can, and will adjust, if necessary. Stubborn? Sure. But can't adjust? That's crazy talk. There were obvious adjustments during the win streak, obvious adjustments when Cutler and Forte went down, and even more obvious adjustments the last game against the Packers.

1, 3-10. Agreed. The Briggs move could be bad PR, but LBs are just as easy to find as RBs. Probably the easiest position on defense to replace. And the "inability to adjust" is clearly in #4 & #10.

2. "Martz' stubbornness and inability to adjust kills us." :blink: What? I mean, I know I'm about the only one on the board who likes him and his brand of offense, but saying he has an inability to adjust is like saying the sun has an inability to get warm. If anything, he's proven this year he can, and will adjust, if necessary. Stubborn? Sure. But can't adjust? That's crazy talk. There were obvious adjustments during the win streak, obvious adjustments when Cutler and Forte went down, and even more obvious adjustments the last game against the Packers.

1, 3-10. Agreed. The Briggs move could be bad PR, but LBs are just as easy to find as RBs. Probably the easiest position on defense to replace. And the "inability to adjust" is clearly in #4 & #10.

Then why does it take so long for him to "get it"? It took him 5 weeks last year and another 5 this year. His brand of offense was good a decade ago with 4 Pro-Bowl caliber players and an amazing o-line...something we don't have. Adjust the playbook and playcalling from jump not after Cutler gets pounded for 5 weeks.

Then why does it take so long for him to "get it"? It took him 5 weeks last year and another 5 this year. His brand of offense was good a decade ago with 4 Pro-Bowl caliber players and an amazing o-line...something we don't have. Adjust the playbook and playcalling from jump not after Cutler gets pounded for 5 weeks.

Yeah, he only adjusts after he gets sat down and "talked to" by Lovie, JA, his QB tells him to f*ck off, etc. Nowhere else would a guy like that even be employed after he did it a second time. Dude needs to kick rocks.

Yeah, he only adjusts after he gets sat down and "talked to" by Lovie, JA, his QB tells him to f*ck off, etc. Nowhere else would a guy like that even be employed after he did it a second time. Dude needs to kick rocks.

It seems like this happens with a lot of teams. this week, for example, it's happening to the Jets.

2. I'd have to side with those that say he has been able to adjust. He was able to get the offense to focus more on the strengths (run) and short passes, rather than the long ball. However, he needs to be open minded to any and all ideas especially from Cutler and the actual players. if they are seeing something not work on the field, make IN GAME adjustments, not notes for trying to implement at a later time. And he needs to get back on the sideline, no more of this box observing. The team lost too many timeouts and had too many "delay of games" for him to be sitting on his duff with no direct conversation to Cutler and the O.

3. This is probably the single most important thing for the team to address, besides the OL. The defense is getting old but I feel the front seven is still very capable...and maybe so for another few years. The D needs capable man cover CB's (maybe Peanut can do it for another year or so or, like others have suggested, rotate to Safety). The secondary is getting exposed especially in the second level. One simple adjustment might be to go Nickel coverage dominant. I saw a lot of nice things from DJ Moore and Corey Graham when they were in. Pretty sure that Roach may not be able to cover the likes of Shiancoe, Pettigrew or Finley. Need speed, which both Moore and Graham have. Besides, Roach may have to move to Briggs' spot if he ends up going away....

That's the stubborn part. That's the part where I agreed. But he doesn't have an inability to adjust. He did adjust.

That's the stubborn part. That's the part where I agreed. But he doesn't have an inability to adjust. He did adjust.

Well, they can can his ass for stubborness. Why are you splitting hairs over adjusting AFTER HE GETS TALKED TO and trying to justify keeping him? Enjoy the Martz Kool-Aid because you are the only one who is sipping on it.

If I killed somebody, then apologized and confessed (I'm a good Catholic) doesn't mean I'm not going to be held accountable for my actions.

Well, they can can his ass for stubborness. Why are you splitting hairs over adjusting AFTER HE GETS TALKED TO and trying to justify keeping him? Enjoy the Martz Kool-Aid because you are the only one who is sipping on it.

If I killed somebody, then apologized and confessed (I'm a good Catholic) doesn't mean I'm not going to be held accountable for my actions.

Dude, I'm not splitting hairs. The original post said he was stubborn and he couldn't adjust. The first part I agreed with, and the second part I called out for being blatantly wrong. That's not splitting hairs; that's pointing out inaccuracy. Martz adjusted. Period.

If he got canned for how slowly he changed, or how stubborn he may have been to change, then I'd completely understand. But the fact remains that he did alter his game plan drastically.

Dude, I'm not splitting hairs. The original post said he was stubborn and he couldn't adjust. The first part I agreed with, and the second part I called out for being blatantly wrong. That's not splitting hairs; that's pointing out inaccuracy. Martz adjusted. Period.

If he got canned for how slowly he changed, or how stubborn he may have been to change, then I'd completely understand. But the fact remains that he did alter his game plan drastically.

Can you at least agree that he should be fired? I don't care if it's stubborness, adjustments, or leaving his dirty coffee spoon in the Halas Hall break room. Bottom line is he needs to go.

I'm actually not convinced that dumping him is the best idea. I think Martz did some very good things this year and didn't have any major issues with him outside of the early playcalling and the Raiders game. And I think if you watch any offense, you'd know that teams are going to have weeks where the playcalling is less than par (so it happens to everyone).

Bottom line: With Cutler this offense looked like it was heading to the next level. Add another quality olineman (specifically a LT), plus a front-line wideout and another year in Martz system, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this offense progress to the next level. Cutler was starting to look quite comfortable.

Now if really, it was Tice calling more of the plays and we didn't know it, than that is a whole nother story. Basically put, if there was more backdrama than I need to know, than I understand why they'd fire Martz but Martz is a good offensive mind and at a minimum a good OC and I hate the idea of starting over and throwing Cutler in yet another new system.

sold!

Can you at least agree that he should be fired? I don't care if it's stubborness, adjustments, or leaving his dirty coffee spoon in the Halas Hall break room. Bottom line is he needs to go.

It wouldn't upset me a whole lot, but I don't necessarily agree. Being an OC is a tough enough job already, but when hindered by a GM and team that gives you one of the worst OLs in the NFL (I'd argue they're the worst since they are so inconsistent and penalty-prone) and one of the worst WR corp in the NFL (many here argue they're the worst), it's pretty difficult to have consistent success.

X--COMPLETE!!! :headbang :headbang 1. Jerry Angelo needs to go before the draft. If McCaskey want's to make a name for himself on this team, this must be done. JA has pissed draft after draft away and they can't afford to let him shyt the bed again. JA has neglected to get a decent second string. He hasn't taken into account injuries occur or people won't pan out.

X--COMPLETE!!! :headbang :headbang 1. Jerry Angelo needs to go before the draft. If McCaskey want's to make a name for himself on this team, this must be done. JA has pissed draft after draft away and they can't afford to let him shyt the bed again. JA has neglected to get a decent second string. He hasn't taken into account injuries occur or people won't pan out.

X--COMPLETE!!! :headbang :headbang 2. Martz and his offense need to go. For the last 2 years, they haven't clicked until 5-6 weeks into the season. I truly believe it's not all on the players. Some...yes...all...Martz. Martz' stubbornness and inability to adjust kills us.

• 3 months later...

X--COMPLETE!!! :headbang :headbang 2. Martz and his offense need to go. For the last 2 years, they haven't clicked until 5-6 weeks into the season. I truly believe it's not all on the players. Some...yes...all...Martz. Martz' stubbornness and inability to adjust kills us.

X--COMPLETE!!! :headbang :headbang 7. I have a bad feeling about Briggs and his contract situation. Trade him and get what you can before he sits out and we have nothing. Use those picks for upgrades in the secondary, o-line, and receiver.

X--COMPLETE!!! :headbang :headbang 8. WR. Once all the kings' men put Knox back together again, he'll still be a #4 or 5 WR. We need WR. We have a roster of five #4 or less receivers. Keep Bennett (mostly because of contract) but because he has that rapport with Cutler.

4 out of 10 is not so bad at this point. It looks like you might get more than 4 if a few things pan out...

X--COMPLETE!!! :headbang :headbang 7. I have a bad feeling about Briggs and his contract situation. Trade him and get what you can before he sits out and we have nothing. Use those picks for upgrades in the secondary, o-line, and receiver.

X--COMPLETE!!! :headbang :headbang 8. WR. Once all the kings' men put Knox back together again, he'll still be a #4 or 5 WR. We need WR. We have a roster of five #4 or less receivers. Keep Bennett (mostly because of contract) but because he has that rapport with Cutler.

Actually you hit on some stuff, but probably unless your deaf and dumb, most on here have made most of the same statements. Actually you were wrong on the Briggs thing, we didnt trade him.