Notes and Observations from the Pre-Season Opener

Cutsizzle

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/08/10/ob...ner-vs-broncos/

Some observations that I jotted down during the game. Hopefully this will reach the eyes of somebody who didn't have time to watch the game or couldn't.

Very impressive presentation.

My boss has told me that he expects me to break down the key things he needs to know about the Bears so he can have some talking points if the subject comes up in conversation with other people.

I told him that these are the 3 most important points to take from last night's game:

1. Our defense without Peppers or Urlacher kept Peyton Manning from scoring with an impressive play by generally role players DJ Moore and Major Wright.

2. Our much maligned 1st round pick DE Shea McClellin showed incredible speed to get a sack as well as numerous pressures. He looks like a playmaker in the making.

3. Our 2nd round pick WR Alshon Jeffrey led the team with 4 catches and most of them were contested and not exactly easy. He's a natural pass catcher that uses his body to shield for position and his hands to catch the ball. Another playmaker in the making.

I was also very impressed with Corey Wooton. On a few plays he made Clady look like Webb beating him to the outside forcing Clady to hold him (literally grab him around the body). On another play he beat him on a good inside move to get early pressure on Manning who had to release the ball early. He played better than Izzy and if this continues I can see him challenging for playing time at Izzy's expense.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/08/10/ob...ner-vs-broncos/

Some observations that I jotted down during the game. Hopefully this will reach the eyes of somebody who didn't have time to watch the game or couldn't.

I paid very special attention to the OL, and I'm guessing you really didn't if you think Webb did anything other than poorly. Unless, of course, you're really considering his performance later on against the scrubs, he did not do well.

In three of the first four possessions he had at least one play where he did poorly, and I marked multiple plays where Webb would have been credited with poor performance, a pressure, or a sack, if not for the quick release/design of the play. Credit Tice for disguising Webb's flaw, but I'd rather have a solid player who can allow the Bears' OC, whoever that may be, to run whatever play he would like. Hell, it was the third quarter and there were still plays in which Webb was getting help from a chip-blocker against a scrub. He looks particularly susceptible to inside speed moves, and can be bull-rushed (to be fair, it appears that Williams can be bull-rushed as well). On top of all that, he still had a bonehead false start.

This experiment has to end.

I agree, Webb was really bad and yet again very inconsistent. I'm now at a spot where I think we're better off with Chris Williams consistent, if below average, play. With Webb you just don't know where he's going to have a mental lapse and give up pressure: outside, inside, bull rushes, or penalties. If Chris Williams can give us consistent play and protect the inside rush lanes then I'll take that and Tice showed in this first game that we will be helping with chip blocks out of the backfield. Cutler has to know what to expect in his pass protection.

Spencer also had a horrible game. I don't know if it's the new footwork in moving from right side to left side but he was pushed all over the field. Even Carimi was pushed around at times. The only guy I didn't notice on the Oline was Louis who seemingly held his ground on pass protection. Nobody opened holes for running plays.

Given what we've seen, I'd tend to agree as well.

The Webb experiment looks done. Williams could be sufficient given the continued effort by Tice to put his guys in the best place to win and perform well.

I think holding onto Webb as a swing guy is warranted.

I agree, Webb was really bad and yet again very inconsistent. I'm now at a spot where I think we're better off with Chris Williams consistent, if below average, play. With Webb you just don't know where he's going to have a mental lapse and give up pressure: outside, inside, bull rushes, or penalties. If Chris Williams can give us consistent play and protect the inside rush lanes then I'll take that and Tice showed in this first game that we will be helping with chip blocks out of the backfield. Cutler has to know what to expect in his pass protection.

Spencer also had a horrible game. I don't know if it's the new footwork in moving from right side to left side but he was pushed all over the field. Even Carimi was pushed around at times. The only guy I didn't notice on the Oline was Louis who seemingly held his ground on pass protection. Nobody opened holes for running plays.

Yes, that's the point. Now, if we could get the OL to coordinate their bad plays into one horrendous play, and just end up with a sack every third or fourth possession, I'd be good with it. Cutler probably wouldn't, but I would. That would mean three or four possessions in which they played well together and produced. As it stands now, however, they take turns tripping over their dicks and the offense doesn't ever get a chance at consistency. It's the same thing I said last year when people tried to compare the Bears OL to the Packers OL. They have more consistency when they screw up, somehow.

On average Webb probably screws up 3 out of 10 plays. Williams probably 2 out of 10. Webb has higher ceilings (allegedly) and lower floors (we've seen it). So I see it like the following for 10 hypothetical plays:

J. Webb: B, C, F, A, F, C, C, F, A, A

Williams: C, C, F, C, F, C, C, B, A, B

I just like the Williams odds better, especially when you consider Spencer will probably screw up 2 or 3 out of 10; Louis will blow 1 or 2 out of 10, and Garza has an occassional lapse. With Webb the percentages are just not in the Bears favor. Give me a team that can always get 3 or 4 yards over a team that can get 20 one play and get the franchise QB hauled off on a stretcher the other.