Cutler to Spaeth Film Breakdown

Cutsizzle

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/11/26/cc...pass-to-spaeth/

Great lazer rocket throw by Cutler, very impressive.

Cool article. That was by far one of the more amazing plays I've seen in awhile. I couldnt believe Spaeth caught it. On the actual running of the play, I couldn't even see him then *bam* ( John Maddenism) he's in the endzone. What was funny after the play, I think, commentator "Moose" Johnston said something to the effect of Spaeth amazingly caught that when he can barely catch the easier ones thrown his way. No doubt! Good solid game yesterday.

Too bad about all the injuries though. We'll see how the team adapts.

Great link and breakdown. I enjoyed it. There are major problems, however...

1. Why are the Bears running plays where it appears the primary target is the third best pass-catching TE on the roster?

2. Why are the Bears running passing plays when they have their two best blocking TEs, who are also the two worst pass-catching TEs?

3. Why are the Bears running passing plays when they have their two worst pass-catching TEs and their #5 WR (#4 by injury to Alshon) in the game?

It worked. I was shocked. I was ecstatic. But it's a horrible personnel grouping for the play design. Substitutions should not be wholesale.

1. Why are the Bears running plays where it appears the primary target is the third best pass-catching TE on the roster?

2. Why are the Bears running passing plays when they have their two best blocking TEs, who are also the two worst pass-catching TEs?

3. Why are the Bears running passing plays when they have their two worst pass-catching TEs and their #5 WR (#4 by injury to Alshon) in the game?

It worked. I was shocked. I was ecstatic. But it's a horrible personnel grouping for the play design. Substitutions should not be wholesale.

Why do teams throw passes to fullbacks and defensive linemen who substitute in as eligible receivers in the red zone? Because the defense isn't expecting it. On a designed rollout (you mean those are legal? I'd never have guessed watching the Bears this season) you're running away from 1/2 of the pass rush so the need for a TE block is lessened, Marshall is in front of him to draw the coverage, so you've set yourself up with a clear line of sight throw to a single-covered TE in the end zone.

Why do teams throw passes to fullbacks and defensive linemen who substitute in as eligible receivers in the red zone? Because the defense isn't expecting it. On a designed rollout (you mean those are legal? I'd never have guessed watching the Bears this season) you're running away from 1/2 of the pass rush so the need for a TE block is lessened, Marshall is in front of him to draw the coverage, so you've set yourself up with a clear line of sight throw to a single-covered TE in the end zone.

Notice I didn't say anything about the rollout. I like it.

Notice I also didn't say anything about the play design itself. I like it.

The personnel grouping for that play, however, is downright problematic when the Bears have much better options to fill those roles.

And going on your "confuse the defense" theory, that would be even more of a reason for Rodriguez to be in there on that play.

I would hope it was due to Tice trying to show a run package group of players and then catch them off guard with a pass. But not sure if Tice should get that much credit haha.

Sorry just read this. Posted something similar

I would hope it was due to Tice trying to show a run package group of players and then catch them off guard with a pass. But not sure if Tice should get that much credit haha.

That's clearly the intent, but I don't think it's very high probability considering the personnel. Glad it worked, but I doubt it would work very often given the exact same scenario. 9 out of 10 times Spaeth drops it.

We need to definately give Tice credit. As much as we've all ripped him for his failures, we must own his successes to be impartial. They better own up on the OL talent though.