Training Camp Battles

AZ54

I was looking over our roster thinking about our starting lineup for this season and was surprised to see we really have just two battles for starting roles in training camp.

I see our starters as: (names in caps have to battle)

S: Conte, Wright (settled) I think there is a lot of competition for the spots behind these guys but can't see anyone pushing for a starting job, however the depth may be decent in terms of talent (Zib, Steltz, Hardin).

CB: Tillman, Jennings Hayden is first off the bench here and behind him I can't believe we're looking at Zach Bowman again.

LB: Anderson, Williams, Briggs. (settled --- however, Bostic might challenge Anderson at WLB but Anderson was a pretty talented player before his injuries. If he has put that behind him then I can't see Bostic overcoming the experience gap to earn a starting role) I like the rookies here and feel we finally have depth at LB.

DT: Melton, Paea (settled) Behind these guys it's pretty much a "who dat?" among the competition. There is hope Ellis returns to the pass rushing form he had earlier in his career but he won't supplant Melton

DE: Peppers, and WOOTTON -- SMC takes first-off-the-bench role. This is one of the few true competitions in training camp between Wootton/SMC. I think the bigger run stopper plays first with SMC handling more of the pass rush duties. I am surprised the Bears' webiste has Cornelius Washington listed as OLB. Can't say if that's a misprint or their intentions with him.

C: Garza wishful to think we have an upgrade on the roster

OG: Slauson, LONG I like what I'm hearing about James Brown performing well but I can't see Long not getting every opportunity to be the starter and I think he gets the nod.

OT: Bushrod, Webb Thought there'd be some competition for Webb but as detailed in 5 pages of another thread that doesn't seem to be the case.

TE: Bennett We have little to no depth behind him, worrisome at the league's most injured position

QB: Cutler

RB: Forte Bush as backup and

FB: Fiammetta nobody else on the roster at this position.

WR: Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett behind these guys every player is battling just to make the roster

Our starters can compete at a high level IMO but we have very little talent behind them. That usually doesn't bode well for making a run deep into the playoffs. We definitely need some positive surprises at multiple positions during the preseason among TE, WR, CB, DT and of course all eyes will be on the Oline as a whole.

OT: Bushrod, Webb Thought there'd be some competition for Webb but as detailed in 5 pages of another thread that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's not detailed at all. It's one article from one writer that got way too much attention from a certain drama queen.

Otherwise I have little to argue with you about the starters. I hope Bostic challenges for the starting role but expect it'll take a season. He'll still get plenty of PT and that'll be good for the rotation. It'll be interesting to see how Lance handles the senior leadership role in that group.

LOL

Oh, I KNOW you aren't laughing at someone else being called a drama queen since you damn near recorded a video of yourself crying and stomping your feet the last time something upset you on the old board.

The LB battle interests me the most, as I'm sure it does most people. Between that position, and the offensive line, we'll have plenty of things to look forward to, come training camp.

-Will one of the rookie LB'ers get a starting nod over Williams or Anderson?

-Will the Long kid be a starter?

-Will Shea McClellin finally be a starting DE?

-How will Cutler look like in the new offense?

-How will Trestman do in a professional locker room? Will he get the respect of the players?

-Which unknown guy will come in to camp and win a roster spot?

Lots of questions to ponder over the next several months..

Oh, I KNOW you aren't laughing at someone else being called a drama queen since you damn near recorded a video of yourself crying and stomping your feet the last time something upset you on the old board.

Jason, that's ridiculous. Everyone could see you were fighting an insane point in the recent thread that you're referring to because you can never be wrong. If you, or anyone wants to go back and read it, it's pretty clear I was as emotional then as I am now, which is to say not at all.

Secondly, you're behaving inappropriately in this response as well, because you're still butt hurt about it.

Third, you are only making yourself look bad here as well.

In a completely non gratuitous way, not meant as an insult, but quite literally - maybe you should consider therapy.

The LB battle interests me the most, as I'm sure it does most people. Between that position, and the offensive line, we'll have plenty of things to look forward to, come training camp.

Will one of the rookie LB'ers get a starting nod over Williams or Anderson?

That would certainly be a REALLY good sign. I expect Bostic to challenge for significant playing time somewhere in the middle of the season, but if one of the rookies ascended quickly that would certainly be good news.

It's interesting too, because the new LBs, rookies and veterans alike, will be learning the new 1 gap fronts, so there's no normal advantage to the free agents that most incumbent starters would have in terms of familiarity with the calls etc. They're all starting from scratch. It'll just be about physicality and tempo, getting used to the NFL.

Will the Long kid be a starter?

I hope so, I expect he will be.

Will Shea McClellin finally be a starting DE?

Who KNOWS? He was an undersized rookie that needed to hit the weight room. It'll be interesting to see where he is at this year physically, and if he has improved his handwork, to present more than just a spin move as a valid threat.

How will Cutler look like in the new offense?

He ought to be phenominal in it. *IF* he buys into the progressions that Trestman shows him. If he insists on being his own man back there playing sandlot football, he ought to have enough weapons to do decently at that, but he won't dominate, and he won't be back either.

For Cutler, the excuse for freelancing has always been that the talent and scheme around him were sub par. This is obviously no longer the case. If he buys in and is willing to subvert his ego to Trestman, he ought to do VERY well. It is also possible that Cutler will UNDERSTAND the value of Trestman's approach and buy into it, in which case his ego and the plan will also be in alignment.

How will Trestman do in a professional locker room? Will he get the respect of the players?

YES. He got Steve Young and Jerry Rice's respect. He got Rich Gannon and Tim Brown's respect. THe only player it is a question of might be Jay Cutler, and I think the situation there is backwards. Will Cutler get Trestman's respect, or will he be gone after this year.

Which unknown guy will come in to camp and win a roster spot?

I hope it's a pass rusher!

Lots of questions to ponder over the next several months..

Yup can't wait. Good post.

The LB battle interests me the most, as I'm sure it does most people. Between that position, and the offensive line, we'll have

-How will Trestman do in a professional locker room? Will he get the respect of the players?

CFL locker rooms aren't full of professional players? :P

CFL locker rooms aren't full of professional players? :P

True that and also the locker room of the Cardinals, Raiders, 49ers. However, I think his point is more to the fact that despite all of his success coaching QBs and running an offense Trestman was never considered head coaching material during his first go around in the NFL. Despite massive success in the CFL (3 Grey Cup appearances in 5 years with 2 championships) he was still completely off the radar of every NFL team. Being a head coach is totally different than being an OC/DC. There have been many players in support of Trestman, mostly QBs, but there have been others who subtly questioned if he can handle the HC role.

Now there is evidence Trestman has learned from being passed over for interviews in the past, plus his HC experience in the CFL, and he now has an understanding of what he must do to succeed as our HC. So far the job is easy, just run practices and everyone (most everyone) is happy we're going in a new direction. The lights will get brighter as he handles the team's first losing streak (talking about losing 2 in a row) whenever that may be.

Despite massive success in the CFL (3 Grey Cup appearances in 5 years with 2 championships) he was still completely off the radar of every NFL team.

Not true. He was in the mix for Indy's head coaching gig last year - and they gave him an excellent reference. It's part of the reason that Emery considered him.

Not true. He was in the mix for Indy's head coaching gig last year - and they gave him an excellent reference. It's part of the reason that Emery considered him.

I think people will be VERY happy to have him as head coach when this year is thru. I think we finally have a staff and front office that know what they're doing. FINALLY.