Jerry Angelo doesn't like Jay Cutler anymore

adam

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/for...2013-nfl-season

Interesting article written by Angelo on a site that I did not know of. He grouped him with Ryan, Stafford, and Romo, which seems pretty hard to argue with. I just wouldn't put Cutler behind Kaepernick or Smith. He has Cam Newton at the same level as Brees?

ESPN adds a little to it here: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...nsistent-clutch

This is what Angelo says about Cutler:

Has all the physical tools, but inconsistent in the clutch. Mostly due to a lack of poise. He’s not comfortable reading defenses and consequently locks onto a favorite or pre-determined target, that may or may not be the right choice. The less he’s asked to see the better he is. A better half field general, than a full field one.

I don't know how accurate this is because saying he can only read half the field or is not comfortable reading defenses seems a little extreme for someone who is experienced as Cutler. I just think he believes his arm can get the ball anywhere against any coverage. The poise part is odd to me because I didn't really see a lack of poise on Jay's part, and for inconsistency in the clutch, I swear he had a very high 4th Quarter QBR. I also think year 2 under Trestman will yield some huge improvements.

I guess the scary part about this if Angelo is correct. We just paid a lot of money for a guy who is inconsistent in the clutch, lacks poise, and is not comfortable reading defenses. However, I thought that this was odd coming from a guy who traded a lot for him, and then surrounded him with absolutely nothing (outside of Forte). It almost seems like Angelo thought Cutler alone could come in and save the team with no one to throw to.

I don't know how accurate this is because saying he can only read half the field or is not comfortable reading defenses seems a little extreme for someone who is experienced as Cutler. I just think he believes his arm can get the ball anywhere against any coverage. The poise part is odd to me because I didn't really see a lack of poise on Jay's part, and for inconsistency in the clutch, I swear he had a very high 4th Quarter QBR. I also think year 2 under Trestman will yield some huge improvements.

I guess the scary part about this if Angelo is correct. We just paid a lot of money for a guy who is inconsistent in the clutch, lacks poise, and is not comfortable reading defenses. However, I thought that this was odd coming from a guy who traded a lot for him, and then surrounded him with absolutely nothing (outside of Forte). It almost seems like Angelo thought Cutler alone could come in and save the team with no one to throw to.

Which brings the first question to mind in when he made the deal to acquire him, were these things he thought about? Or did he come up with these observations...after the fact? I can fully understand now that he is essentially 'arm chair managing' he has more time to make these type of observations.

I would tend to think he (Angelo) thought there was more to Cutler...potentially...than what he offered in his few years at Denver. Can't say as I blame him, his ceiling was high. It's the 'since then' part that most will agree he (Cutler) has not reached elite status.

I think Angelo is correct in some regards but not totally. Cutler can read defenses, in fact he does it well. Does audibiles (most of the time) for the correct setup. Its the "...his arm can get the ball anywhere..." that you are right about and what causes him so much grief. I agree that Jay does not lack poise, not overall. When it comes to pressure sometimes he's a bit premature in his wanting to scramble but many would argue that is because of the lack of coverage he's had over the last few years. My thought is that he's always been a non-pocket passer. If anything that's going to be a difficult transition for him. Trestman's offense requires a little more pocket presence than Cutler has been able to demonstrate. McCown proved that point. But you're right, Cutler may be able to make that change with another year under Trestman, and with more age and experience.

Angelo really said nothing wrong. And he chould have known before pulling the trigger. But, I still think the trigger would get pulled anyway. The risk and return was there. Hindsighte is 20/20. Angelo's fail wasn't signing Cutler...it was not giving him an OL...and a leaving our team without viable backups.

And not checking a box.

Which brings the first question to mind in when he made the deal to acquire him, were these things he thought about? Or did he come up with these observations...after the fact? I can fully understand now that he is essentially 'arm chair managing' he has more time to make these type of observations.

I would tend to think he (Angelo) thought there was more to Cutler...potentially...than what he offered in his few years at Denver. Can't say as I blame him, his ceiling was high. It's the 'since then' part that most will agree he (Cutler) has not reached elite status.

I think Angelo is correct in some regards but not totally. Cutler can read defenses, in fact he does it well. Does audibiles (most of the time) for the correct setup. Its the "...his arm can get the ball anywhere..." that you are right about and what causes him so much grief. I agree that Jay does not lack poise, not overall. When it comes to pressure sometimes he's a bit premature in his wanting to scramble but many would argue that is because of the lack of coverage he's had over the last few years. My thought is that he's always been a non-pocket passer. If anything that's going to be a difficult transition for him. Trestman's offense requires a little more pocket presence than Cutler has been able to demonstrate. McCown proved that point. But you're right, Cutler may be able to make that change with another year under Trestman, and with more age and experience.

I saw the article a day or 2 ago. I didn't post it because Cutler's contract has made me lose a lot of the interest I normally have in the offseason. When even Jerry Angelo is saying what I am thinking on an offensive player, it's just not good. I think this is the first time I have ever agreed with him on a player.

Angelo really said nothing wrong. And he chould have known before pulling the trigger. But, I still think the trigger would get pulled anyway. The risk and return was there. Hindsighte is 20/20. Angelo's fail wasn't signing Cutler...it was not giving him an OL...and a leaving our team without viable backups.

And not checking a box.

Bingo. Among other things.

I dont care what JA thinks. He proved he was not capable of putting a respectable O on the field.

Every Fan, writer, radio talking head etc etc screamed

1.Fix the Oline

2. Devin Hester is not a number 1

3. Give Cutler some weapons

He never did it. Instead he drafted some guy that can jump out of a pool but couldnt play a lick of football.

Cutler has not reached the Elite level we all hoped, yet. At the beginning of this last season people started calling him 4th quarter Jay due to the late game performances he had. Maybe JA missed those games. He seemed pretty clutch to me.His numbers were better then years past, at one point before the injury if you averaged this numbers across an entire season he would have put up great numbers. That way of thinking is shoulda coulda woulda. Had he not gotten hurt I wonder what the outcome would have been. I am holding my judgement on the new contract and Cutler until after this next season. Hopefully he plays the entire season injury free. This will be his second year in the same system, an actual NFL caliber system. He will also be playing with a good Oline and actual weapons for the second year in a row. I would think that this O will only get better in all phases of the game.

Cutler and company will only get better at

Knowing which plays to run when they see what defense they are showing

Timing of plays (just look at the GB offense, the timing of the short slants or back shoulder passes makes it hard to defend)

Playbook will only be bigger now that the players will be more comfortable in this offense

Trestman should only get better with play calling, knowing the players he has and what they can do

Going through a entire off season working on the same system and not learning a new system will pay huge dividends

If Cutler doesnt take it to the next level this year I will have no problem calling it a bad move. There will be no reasons or excuses to defend him any longer. He has the weapons, Oline and system in place. Its all there for him to prove if he is either a Elite level QB or just a good one. Im praying for an injury free year and a D that at least looks better than last years.

Keep in mind one of the things that stopped him from getting a better oline was what he gave up for Cutler. That doesn't make JA's decisions any better, it just means all his problems were inter-related.

To come out saying this now, I think it may have been a little bit of sour grapes on JA's part because JA got fired, Lovie got fired, yet Cutler got his yearly contract more than doubled after he didn't really live up to his last one. No one said life was fair, Jerry.

Nevertheless, as far as the whole "I guess the scary part about this if Angelo is correct." part...who cares what Angelo thinks at this point? Cutler isn't some Div II rookie with game footage rarely available. We've seen him on the field for the better part of a decade. We should have our own opinion based on what we've seen. I can't say I've seen that Cutler lacks poise or plays bad specifically because the game is on the line, and I've seen all the same games that JA has.

Jerry Angelo has zero credibility talking about offense. In his tenure, he one drafted one offensive player worth a shit. One! I agree with all of your criticisms of him.

That being said, one critique he has of Cutler is spot on. I've said it for years that Cutler is a point and shoot guy. Although I prefer the anticipating type of QB, you can win with Cutler. He's skilled, smart, tough and accurate. He may hurt you some games, but he's also capable of putting a string of MVP performances together. Just gotta hit them at the right time.

Many a GM has been limited in picks without whiffing and failing so often. Additionally, just because Cutler wasn't there doesn't mean its OK to completely avoid drafting OL for 5 years... After the SB loss, the guy couldn't hit the side of a barn with a ball while standing 2 inches in front of it.

Keep in mind one of the things that stopped him from getting a better oline was what he gave up for Cutler. That doesn't make JA's decisions any better, it just means all his problems were inter-related.

To come out saying this now, I think it may have been a little bit of sour grapes on JA's part because JA got fired, Lovie got fired, yet Cutler got his yearly contract more than doubled after he didn't really live up to his last one. No one said life was fair, Jerry.

Nevertheless, as far as the whole "I guess the scary part about this if Angelo is correct." part...who cares what Angelo thinks at this point? Cutler isn't some Div II rookie with game footage rarely available. We've seen him on the field for the better part of a decade. We should have our own opinion based on what we've seen. I can't say I've seen that Cutler lacks poise or plays bad specifically because the game is on the line, and I've seen all the same games that JA has.

He couldnt upgrade the O because he drafted Jarron Gilbert and Juaquin Iglesias with his first two picks of the 2009 draft both busts. He missed way too many times in the draft depart.

He hit some homeruns but missed waaaayyyy toooo many times.