McCown not back? now what

Stinger226

I think Emery is not going to be willing to spend the money on our backup. McCown probably gets a 2 year 4 to 5 mil and is to rich for Bears.Some one drafting a rookie QB will pay to get insurance.

teams for McCown: TB, they could use a good backup with Glennon still developing on the job, plenty of cap space, Lovie throws a dig to the Bears organisation, closer to home

Jacksonville,they will draft a QB and Josh would be a good fall back if the rookie needs time to grow, closer to home,plrnty of cap space

FA options: I think Jordon Palmer comes back on a vet min deal

AND we draft a developmental QB

4th round and below; A.J. McCarren/Ala

Aaron Murray/Geo

Logan Thomas/VT

Brett Smith/Wyo

Fales/SJS

Wennings/BS

I think we end up with Murray in 5th or Wennings is 6th

Call me crazy but if McCown isn't back I'd like to see them take a shot at Josh Freeman and then perhaps take a guy in the 5th or 6th, namely I like Jeff Mathews out of Cornell.

From all the stories about him in TB, I would pass on Freeman. I would rather trade down in the first to pick up an extra pick or two, then take a mid-round QB with the exta pick.

Call me crazy but if McCown isn't back I'd like to see them take a shot at Josh Freeman and then perhaps take a guy in the 5th or 6th, namely I like Jeff Mathews out of Cornell.

Crazy!! lol..... No to Freeman. Freeman has a big arm but from what I have seen doesn't have his head in the game. Can that change, sure.

Has Trestman ever voiced what he looks for in a QB??? traits, talents????

Ok I will, I think we bring back Palmer as our experienced vet and draft a guy to work with. If Freeman had anything going for him he would have least had shown something in his stint in Minn.

Fair enough people, I just think he has a ton of talent and if anyone can get it out of him it should be Marc Trestman. HE should be calling the Bears and begging to work with Marc.

McCown is multiple times to us what Josh Freeman is. So if we aren't going to do 2.5million for McCown, are we going to land Josh for $500k? I ask that knowing the answer.

Crazy!! lol..... No to Freeman. Freeman has a big arm but from what I have seen doesn't have his head in the game. Can that change, sure.

Has Trestman ever voiced what he looks for in a QB??? traits, talents????

Agree with Freeman not having his head in the game. Which brings us to what Trestman looks for: In McCown we had a guy on his last stint in the NFL. He was experienced, yet humbled. He accepted the fact that he was not their to replace Jay Cutler, he needed to work well alongside Jay Cutler. McCown understood the west coast, worked his ass off and did exactly what the coaches told him.

In short, we need a washed up quarterback with a final chance a redemption. I wouldn't want him back because of his history, but Rex Grossman would be an ideal fit.

Jordan Palmer has never had the talent or pedigree. You don't want to risk going into the season with any rookie as your #2 QB. Follow the format we did with McCown and find a veteran.

Rex Grossman???

Wonder what Trestman thinks of Jerrod Johnson, who was brought back on a futures contract. When word came out last year about the Bears wanting to use some read option looks (which didn't happen) I remember bringing up his name. I actually think he has some talent.

Rex Grossman???

Rex or a player similar to Rex. Rex is an ideal fit as he's on his last leg in the NFL. He's experienced and hopefully motivated. Hell he made Bernard Berrian a multimillionaire. Imagine what he could do with Alshon, BM, and Marty-saurus-rex.

I'm not arguing for Rex, just using him as an example. We could get him for the minimum and I'd sure as hell trust him in a pinch over any 4th round rookie.

Josh McCown sucked his entire career until this year. Absolutely sucked. Guys just don't start getting better when they are 34 years old. That was Trestman, the system, and the talent around him.

We are locked into Cutler for 3 more seasons. I don't give a damn about drafting a project.

I think the Bears will do a deal 2yrs @ $4mil for McCown. Start trying to get beyond that and I see us moving on. I agree that in the event McCown goes elsewhere we would likely see Jordan Palmer back. If McCown is gone I think we will draft a young prospect early on day 3 unless someone falls they really value.

The guy I'm curious about is Matt Schaub. It's not clear what his market will be after that horrendous season but I don't view him any differently than McCown, except McCown already knows the system.

While we have needs all over the place I think we're going to get a lot more help for the defense via FA than the draft. That doesn't mean the defense won't be our focus in the draft, it will be, but after relying on two rookie LBs and others last year I doubt Emery wants to go into the draft knowing he has to rely on defensive rookies again to make the difference. He will want competition at all positions among rookies and vets.

Agree with Freeman not having his head in the game. Which brings us to what Trestman looks for: In McCown we had a guy on his last stint in the NFL. He was experienced, yet humbled. He accepted the fact that he was not their to replace Jay Cutler, he needed to work well alongside Jay Cutler. McCown understood the west coast, worked his ass off and did exactly what the coaches told him.

In short, we need a washed up quarterback with a final chance a redemption. I wouldn't want him back because of his history, but Rex Grossman would be an ideal fit.

Jordan Palmer has never had the talent or pedigree. You don't want to risk going into the season with any rookie as your #2 QB. Follow the format we did with McCown and find a veteran.

How does Palmer not fall in the same position that Josh was in? Josh had more games played, but both guys have had lackluster careers. His last college football season, Jordan had 67% ,3500 yards and 26 TDs. He has some ability and there is a reason he keeps hanging around our team. I think he gets his shot at role #2.

Rex or a player similar to Rex. Rex is an ideal fit as he's on his last leg in the NFL. He's experienced and hopefully motivated. Hell he made Bernard Berrian a multimillionaire. Imagine what he could do with Alshon, BM, and Marty-saurus-rex.

I'm not arguing for Rex, just using him as an example. We could get him for the minimum and I'd sure as hell trust him in a pinch over any 4th round rookie.

Josh McCown sucked his entire career until this year. Absolutely sucked. Guys just don't start getting better when they are 34 years old. That was Trestman, the system, and the talent around him.

We are locked into Cutler for 3 more seasons. I don't give a damn about drafting a project.

Completely agree. The only caveat I'll make is that it takes a special kind of QB to accept the system, learn the system, and exploit the system's advantages. I don't believe anyone can say Cutler fully bought in the way McCown did.

I think the Bears will do a deal 2yrs @ $4mil for McCown. Start trying to get beyond that and I see us moving on. I agree that in the event McCown goes elsewhere we would likely see Jordan Palmer back. If McCown is gone I think we will draft a young prospect early on day 3 unless someone falls they really value.

The guy I'm curious about is Matt Schaub. It's not clear what his market will be after that horrendous season but I don't view him any differently than McCown, except McCown already knows the system.

While we have needs all over the place I think we're going to get a lot more help for the defense via FA than the draft. That doesn't mean the defense won't be our focus in the draft, it will be, but after relying on two rookie LBs and others last year I doubt Emery wants to go into the draft knowing he has to rely on defensive rookies again to make the difference. He will want competition at all positions among rookies and vets.

I would go 2 years 5 million and fully guarantee it. Cutler will get hurt again and McCown will be worth every penny.

Chicago Bears free-agent quarterback Josh McCown told ESPN Radio’s “Mike & Mike” that his representatives have held discussions with four teams in advance of the NFL’s free-agency period which opens at 3 p.m. CT on Tuesday.

McCown declined to specifically name the interested parties, but the belief in league circles is that the Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets and Houston Texans are the organizations making the strongest push the sign the 34-year old veteran quarterback.

McCown re-emphasized that if he left Chicago, his home for parts of the last three seasons, it would be to pursue a full-time starting quarterback opportunity.

“I’m not going to get in to who I talked to,” McCown said. “There is a window and there is legal tampering but there are some shades on that window so I don’t know out of respect to those teams if we want to get into that right now. We’ve talked to four teams. There have been good discussions. We’ll take those as they come and evaluate those situations.

"To leave Chicago, it will be a situation where I’m looking to compete to start or to start and be able to kind of grow more as a player. The only way as a player that you can do that is on the field. That will definitely be something that we are looking at. So we’ll see. We’ll see what opportunities come and where we are at tomorrow.”

Link