Bears pushing hard after Houston

scs787

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 30m

Source: #Bears are now targeting #Raiders star defensive end Lamarr Houston after missing out on Michael Bennett. They are pushing hard

No surprise here. one thing we know for sure is the Bears want the best DE they can get, which is obviously the way to go.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 30m

Source: #Bears are now targeting #Raiders star defensive end Lamarr Houston after missing out on Michael Bennett. They are pushing hard

No surprise here. one thing we know for sure is the Bears want the best DE they can get, which is obviously the way to go.

He is third on my list but the first one is gone, so get this show on the road and go get him.

At 6'3" 300, he sounds more like a Melton replacement than a DE replacement.

There were reports that he at least looked like he was playing at 275 last year.

He's said to be "very light on his feet" but ya he's kinda more in the form of a Red Bryant type DE but with a better ability to rush the passer.

Certainly not my top choice but he'd make an impact in the run game at least.

Here's a good write up on him from PFF.

Their second-round pick from 2010, Houston has never been a household name outside of Oakland. Defensive ends are sadly still defined by their sack totals, and Houston’s 19 QB takedowns in four seasons are nothing to write home about. But in looking at the tape we’ve found that there are few edge defenders who stop the run as well as he does.

For the third straight season, Houston finished with one of the five best run defense grades at his position. His 40 run stops led all defensive ends; the only lineman with more was the great J.J. Watt. Houston’s 10.3 Run Stop Percentage was also the highest of any 4-3 defensive end with 200 run snaps, showing he was as efficient as he was productive. Nothing speaks to his impact on the game more than the fact that Oakland’s opponents averaged 3.2 yards per carry when they ran in his direction (off left end or left tackle) versus 4.2 per carry when they away from him.

This sort of play is typical for Houston, as he’s never finished a season with a run defense grade lower than +7.2. He has a team-high 158 defensive stops since he joined the Raiders, and his 124 run stops since 2010 are 20 more than any other edge defender:

The flip side of all of this, of course, is that Houston has never been an elite pass rusher, grading a career -1.6 in that category. However, he’s far from a liability on passing plays. His 63 quarterback pressures this season were still 12th-most of any 4-3 defensive end, and one more than sack leader Robert Mathis. You may remember Houston’s Week 3 sack-fumble of Peyton Manning on Monday Night Football, where he blew right past left tackle Chris Clark. However, the reality is that Houston isn’t much of a speed rusher, instead typically getting into the backfield with the same powerful inside techniques that he uses to stop the run. He may not be your prototypical pass rusher, but Houston still gets his fair share of pressure.

Houston hasn’t earned the accolades of the NFL’s best pass rushers, but his dominance against the run is no less important. And given the oversized importance that is still placed on sacks, his price tag won’t be too high. After years of overpaying players who didn’t deserve it, the Raiders now have the chance to lock up their best defender at a value. They should make it a priority to do so.

----you might see that 63 pressures number and think "That's only 3 less than Bennett who you've been hyping as a great pass rusher", but don't be fooled, Houston played 378 more snaps than Bennett did.

Rather than overpay for 7-9 sacks per yr for the next 4-5 years (Bennett), I'll take the excellent run defense of a guy like Houston who can also contribute 6 sacks. He is big enough he can slide inside on some 3rd downs too giving Tucker the flexibility he wants this season. If we ended up with Houston, Jared Allen, and Wotton as 3rd man in the rotation we'd have a much better 3-man DE rotation than we had at any time last season. We'll have SMC coming off the edge at times too and I think he'll be better in that standup role. Hopefully a guy like Washington steps up and can contribute.

It appears we are about to cut Peppers. While I've bashed him a lot based on last year's performance, if he ends back with the Bears at a fraction of his salary (in place of Allen above) we'd be ok on run D but short on edge speed for pass rushes. Although to be fair Peppers got pushed around by OTs a lot last year.

Rather than overpay for 7-9 sacks per yr for the next 4-5 years (Bennett), I'll take the excellent run defense of a guy like Houston who can also contribute 6 sacks. He is big enough he can slide inside on some 3rd downs too giving Tucker the flexibility he wants this season. If we ended up with Houston, Jared Allen, and Wotton as 3rd man in the rotation we'd have a much better 3-man DE rotation than we had at any time last season. We'll have SMC coming off the edge at times too and I think he'll be better in that standup role. Hopefully a guy like Washington steps up and can contribute.

It appears we are about to cut Peppers. While I've bashed him a lot based on last year's performance, if he ends back with the Bears at a fraction of his salary (in place of Allen above) we'd be ok on run D but short on edge speed for pass rushes. Although to be fair Peppers got pushed around by OTs a lot last year.

Michael Bennett was not overpaid. Sorry just had to throw that out there after reading your last 2 posts.

But ya, Houston should go a long way in helping the run defense. Not sure about adding Allen and Wootton though, probably looking at another 6M right there. I'd say grab Wootton, a mid round DE, and let them all compete with Lane, Scott, Bass, Washington, and Ozouwgo. One of those guys is bound to emerge.

There were reports that he at least looked like he was playing at 275 last year.

He's said to be "very light on his feet" but ya he's kinda more in the form of a Red Bryant type DE but with a better ability to rush the passer.

Their second-round pick from 2010, Houston has never been a household name outside of Oakland. Defensive ends are sadly still defined by their sack totals, and Houston’s 19 QB takedowns in four seasons are nothing to write home about. But in looking at the tape we’ve found that there are few edge defenders who stop the run as well as he does.

For the third straight season, Houston finished with one of the five best run defense grades at his position. His 40 run stops led all defensive ends; the only lineman with more was the great J.J. Watt. Houston’s 10.3 Run Stop Percentage was also the highest of any 4-3 defensive end with 200 run snaps, showing he was as efficient as he was productive. Nothing speaks to his impact on the game more than the fact that Oakland’s opponents averaged 3.2 yards per carry when they ran in his direction (off left end or left tackle) versus 4.2 per carry when they away from him.

This sort of play is typical for Houston, as he’s never finished a season with a run defense grade lower than +7.2. He has a team-high 158 defensive stops since he joined the Raiders, and his 124 run stops since 2010 are 20 more than any other edge defender:

The flip side of all of this, of course, is that Houston has never been an elite pass rusher, grading a career -1.6 in that category. However, he’s far from a liability on passing plays. His 63 quarterback pressures this season were still 12th-most of any 4-3 defensive end, and one more than sack leader Robert Mathis. You may remember Houston’s Week 3 sack-fumble of Peyton Manning on Monday Night Football, where he blew right past left tackle Chris Clark. However, the reality is that Houston isn’t much of a speed rusher, instead typically getting into the backfield with the same powerful inside techniques that he uses to stop the run. He may not be your prototypical pass rusher, but Houston still gets his fair share of pressure.

Houston hasn’t earned the accolades of the NFL’s best pass rushers, but his dominance against the run is no less important. And given the oversized importance that is still placed on sacks, his price tag won’t be too high. After years of overpaying players who didn’t deserve it, the Raiders now have the chance to lock up their best defender at a value. They should make it a priority to do so.

----you might see that 63 pressures number and think "That's only 3 less than Bennett who you've been hyping as a great pass rusher", but don't be fooled, Houston played 378 more snaps than Bennett did.

To get him we are going to have to over pay, Oak has the most money to spend and if he is a good player why wouldnt they want him back.

Michael Bennett was not overpaid. Sorry just had to throw that out there after reading your last 2 posts.

But ya, Houston should go a long way in helping the run defense. Not sure about adding Allen and Wootton though, probably looking at another 6M right there. I'd say grab Wootton, a mid round DE, and let them all compete with Lane, Scott, Bass, Washington, and Ozouwgo. One of those guys is bound to emerge.

Michael Bennett reportedly signed for less than what we offered. Before he signed, and after Griffen signed, there was talk of us needing to pay Bennett $10mil/yr. I didn't want to go there. He ended up around $7mil/yr which I'd have agreed to. We were reportedly offering closer to $8.5mil/yr which is getting to high for me.

Allen said to be heading off to Denver but we'll see. I"m not that interested in him because I know he wants to be full-time starter and at this point I think he might be best as part time pass rusher. If he signs early in FA he is likely signing for more money than I'd want to pay for his services. More to my point is that there are several ways we can improve our Dline, largely because it was so bad, and I'd rather not be forced into an expensive box to fix one position (Dline) so early when we have so many needs on defense. I realize Bennett is the better pass rusher between him and Houston but either will help. If signing Houston means we end up with a significantly better FA CB (even Tillman) then it's a plus IMO.

Guest TerraTor
To get him we are going to have to over pay, Oak has the most money to spend and if he is a good player why wouldnt they want him back.

Totally Agree. Honestly, I'd sign Allen for 8m a year over Any of these turds

Totally Agree. Honestly, I'd sign Allen for 8m a year over Any of these turds

Turds? Yu're such an eloquent human being.

BTW Johnson reportedly getting 5/43.75 from Tampa. That's 8.75 a year. When you look at the Griffen deal that looks fair, but then you look at the Bennett deal and it doesn't. At this point idk what to expect Houston to get, I'd throw him 8M though honestly.

Bennett seemed like a pretty good deal. I want a pass rusher, I don't know if Houston is that guy. I would like Jared Allen on the opposite side of Houston but I don't know if that is financially possible. Sounds like Johnson is signing with Bucs.

Bennett seemed like a pretty good deal. I want a pass rusher, I don't know if Houston is that guy. I would like Jared Allen on the opposite side of Houston but I don't know if that is financially possible. Sounds like Johnson is signing with Bucs.

Ya, I want a pass rusher as well, and Houston isn't really that guy. He does add an element that this team could use though and that's help against the run. It wouldn't be the worst move in the world....But yea, I'd put a higher priority on the other DE than I would have if thy got Bennett.

I think it's possible for Houston/Allen if that's the way they wanna go. I figure Houston gets 7 and Allen gets 4. I thought 12M was possible for just Bennett.

All that scares me. It says, "Guy who gets stoned at the line of scrimmage, doesn't get much real pressure, but is good at getting off the block to stop the run." I'd rather see a pass-rusher.

If the Bears get him, I hope they don't break the bank.