Bears Release Peppers

DABEARSDABOMB

Unfortunately, he was still good enough to not warrant a release. The reason he was released has more to do with the price tag than his actual production, even though his production has dipped slightly over the years. This was a lose-lose situation for the Bears unless they are able to use that money to sign somebody better than Julius which Lamar Houston is NOT.

Has Byrd signed anywhere yet? This free agent class suckkkkkkks....

Unfortunately, he was still good enough to not warrant a release. The reason he was released has more to do with the price tag than his actual production, even though his production has dipped slightly over the years. This was a lose-lose situation for the Bears unless they are able to use that money to sign somebody better than Julius which Lamar Houston is NOT.

Agreed on Peppers. I was starting to think of a defensive line-up of Peppers, Jay Ratliff, Paea, and Houston. That's not great but it's good enough to win with. Hit defensive line in the draft and we'd be in good shape.

Without Peppers, our starting RDT is . . . no clue. I'm sure we will sign somebody, but immediately it's not good.

Do you think it's possible Houston is better than Peppers at this point in their respective careers? Peppers was very ineffective last year. Hardly noticeable most of the time. Hard not to improve on that.

Do you think it's possible Houston is better than Peppers at this point in their respective careers? Peppers was very ineffective last year. Hardly noticeable most of the time. Hard not to improve on that.

Have to agree with 4ever. Having Peppers on the team is better than not for the exact reAsons he mentioned. I feel a de-stabilizing "shift in the force" with Peppers and Urlacher gone and Tillman visiting TB. ... And they resigned DJ Williams.... :shakehead

Have to agree with 4ever. Having Peppers on the team is better than not for the exact reAsons he mentioned. I feel a de-stabilizing "shift in the force" with Peppers and Urlacher gone and Tillman visiting TB. ... And they resigned DJ Williams.... :shakehead

By the shift in force, I'm guessing that is any of "Lovie's guys" that were here pre-Emery. The one exception to that might be Tim Jennings. But he was never one of the faces of our great defense. At this point, Lance Briggs is the one of those guys.

I watched a few games in slo-mo last season and it was painful seeing Peppers get pushed around by a single blocker all season. He was so easy to run at, and really had never seen that before from him. I can understand losing some burst and not getting to the QB as fast as years past but he looked like he was either hurt or didn't care last season.

I haven't seen much of Houston play but based on what I've read of his run defense and seen of him in highlights the answer is yes, he's an upgrade over the Peppers we had last season.

WHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT???????

I kid, I kid. Writing was on the walls.

E. Bennett is the only guy left that I think they'd release....

And that could still happen esp. with news that we've been in talks with Domenik Hixon.

Weems will go, they just brought in a gunner with Senn

At least he will show up every day, but he is not a great impact player. Peppers had 40 sack his first 4 years, Houston 16. If we can get Peppers back at a lower amount and have him as a situation pass rusher, I would be in for that .

I watched a few games in slo-mo last season and it was painful seeing Peppers get pushed around by a single blocker all season. He was so easy to run at, and really had never seen that before from him. I can understand losing some burst and not getting to the QB as fast as years past but he looked like he was either hurt or didn't care last season.

It's so tough to know from just a fan's perspective. The dropoff for Peppers was so sudden, it seems suspicious. How many times has a player had an off year and then bounced back the next, then it comes out that the off year there were some little nagging injuries that have now healed? ...About as often as a player who takes a sudden dive due to injuries or motivation and never gets it back. Know way to know until the fat lady has sung.

I agree that it was lose-lose, but be realistic. Peppers was a nobody last season, imo. I'd say that Houston has potential to be better than Peppers was LAST season. I would love to have all the big name players stick around, but this is a Not-For-Long league and we just can't have another year defensively like last year. Peppers now has a chance to sign somewhere else. Good luck to him.