Allen with Bears

Alaskan Grizzly

Was not expecting this to happen, I figured we were tapped out in FA and was waiting for the draft. It was a nice thought to read posts on here about the possibility but I didn't think it would come to fruition.

Then this morning I saw a notification on my iphone though the Bears app and then the NFL app, I was soo shocked and excited. I hadn't read about the Cutler contract conversion the other day which was a sign something was up.

I absolutely love this move. While it will be weird rooting for Allen as I grew to dislike him (mainly cause he's really good and not on our team and he has tormented our offense for the better part of his time in Minny).

He is an all go all out type player and he brings a nastiness to the D-Line. He's a high motor guy who is younger and more productive than Peppers at this point. While he's not young, he's still in the prime of his career, and is one of those guys who takes great care of his body. I think he'll provide excellent veteran leadership on and off the field and his tenacity could be very contagious.

Piece by piece Emery has been rebuilding out DL. We may have lost melton, wooten, cut peppers. We've added Houston, Young, Allen, resigned Ratliff, brought Izzy back, to add to Collins, Paea. Moved SMC to LB, resigned Anderson, resigned Peanut, resigned Jennings. This has at least on paper been a great offseason for out defense. I like that it it gives us a lot of flexibility in the draft. I'd like to see us look hard at CB, SS, FS early. Let's get some young play makers into our secondary. One other thing I like is we've focused on getting guys who are good against the run as well as pass rush.

If we can get the offense and defense humming look out NFL!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what you said about hating Allen. He's that guy you absolutely hate . . . until he's on your team. Then you absolutely love him. Until he's not on your team.

Was not expecting this to happen, I figured we were tapped out in FA and was waiting for the draft. It was a nice thought to read posts on here about the possibility but I didn't think it would come to fruition.

Then this morning I saw a notification on my iphone though the Bears app and then the NFL app, I was soo shocked and excited. I hadn't read about the Cutler contract conversion the other day which was a sign something was up.

I absolutely love this move. While it will be weird rooting for Allen as I grew to dislike him (mainly cause he's really good and not on our team and he has tormented our offense for the better part of his time in Minny).

He is an all go all out type player and he brings a nastiness to the D-Line. He's a high motor guy who is younger and more productive than Peppers at this point. While he's not young, he's still in the prime of his career, and is one of those guys who takes great care of his body. I think he'll provide excellent veteran leadership on and off the field and his tenacity could be very contagious.

Piece by piece Emery has been rebuilding out DL. We may have lost melton, wooten, cut peppers. We've added Houston, Young, Allen, resigned Ratliff, brought Izzy back, to add to Collins, Paea. Moved SMC to LB, resigned Anderson, resigned Peanut, resigned Jennings. This has at least on paper been a great offseason for out defense. I like that it it gives us a lot of flexibility in the draft. I'd like to see us look hard at CB, SS, FS early. Let's get some young play makers into our secondary. One other thing I like is we've focused on getting guys who are good against the run as well as pass rush.

If we can get the offense and defense humming look out NFL!!!

Or AJ Pierzynski for the sox fans on board.

Thats what I was thinking too. Jared will get 2 years worth of snaps over 3 years. They will be smart with his time. There will be plenty of reps for all the DEs. Houston will play a lot of DT and everybody will be happy. I had to work 10 hours today so I am late to the party. I am willing to go out on a limb and say we are a top 10 in sacks this year. When they have our top rush line out then you leash a SMC on a rush and we start to kick ass. Our first pick in the draft will be a BPA type and Emery could go anywhere with that pick. I suspect it will be a S or CB, and maybe a DT. We still have needs everywhere but he will take the impact player we need and it could be anywhere. I personally would like to trade down in the 20's and keep the name Hageman on you mind because he is exactly the type of player he will draft if we move down.

Surprising signing and kudos to the poster who used his wife as a reason he would be here because of her Chicago ties.

I look at this as one thing only. Emery has based his FA signings on how strong the positions are in this draft and obviously he thinks that DE is a weak position.

The first thing I do is take Washington and put his locker right next to Allen and see if he takes him under his wing because Allen is here for atleast 2yrs. The work ethic and playing through injuries should help tutor this kid who obviously is a project. WTBS Willie Young being a 7th rounder had to be viewed as a project also.

Great point, I was thinking the same thing that Jared will have more a of a leadership presence than Peppers.

If overthecap(OTC) has their numbers right I really like his deal.

It's just 3M this year, which leaves the the Bears with close to 8M left in cap space.

Next year it goes up to 12.5, which with all the cap room they have that isn't that big a problem. Again, if OTC numbers are correct, and the salary cap goes up to 140 next year the Bears still have 43 mill in cap space for 2015.

Then in the last 2 years the cap number is 8.5 and 8 BUT... he can be released with full cap savings both years.

So basically it's a 2 year 15.5 million dollar deal with an 8.5 million dollar option in 2016 and an 8 million dollar option in 2017.

If overthecap(OTC) has their numbers right I really like his deal.

It's just 3M this year, which leaves the the Bears with close to 8M left in cap space.

Next year it goes up to 12.5, which with all the cap room they have that isn't that big a problem. Again, if OTC numbers are correct, and the salary cap goes up to 140 next year the Bears still have 43 mill in cap space for 2015.

Then in the last 2 years the cap number is 8.5 and 8 BUT... he can be released with full cap savings both years.

So basically it's a 2 year 15.5 million dollar deal with an 8.5 million dollar option in 2016 and an 8 million dollar option in 2017.

The down side is that for the second year in a row, we are signing guys to "we will pay you next year" contracts. Teams that have a significant amount of "dead money" always seem to struggle. This year between Peppers and Michael Bush, we have like 12 million in dead money. We probably owe some for Earl Bennett and Eric Weems. That can't continue or we're going to be real bad real quick.

Let's home Allen succeeds. More importantly, let's hope we score in the draft so we are not so desperate in free agency.

The down side is that for the second year in a row, we are signing guys to "we will pay you next year" contracts. Teams that have a significant amount of "dead money" always seem to struggle. This year between Peppers and Michael Bush, we have like 12 million in dead money. We probably owe some for Earl Bennett and Eric Weems. That can't continue or we're going to be real bad real quick.

Let's home Allen succeeds. More importantly, let's hope we score in the draft so we are not so desperate in free agency.

I have absolutely no problem with them back loading contracts, when you consider how much cap room they have next year and with the league cap continuing to go up the next few years it makes a ton of sense.

The big contract that they didn't back load is Cutlers who's is heavily front loaded.

Also the Allen contract, if they release him before year 3 there would be no dead money.