Afalava cut plus more surprises

GrizzlyBear

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it has been debated before, but I say again how strange it is to have a rookie come in and start 13 games and the next season be released. Something does not smell right at all, and I really suspect that these kinds of scenarios have to do with the player in question having some kind of issue with the coaching staff, or LS, and being put in the doghouse.

I know it has been debated before, but I say again how strange it is to have a rookie come in and start 13 games and the next season be released. Something does not smell right at all, and I really suspect that these kinds of scenarios have to do with the player in question having some kind of issue with the coaching staff, or LS, and being put in the doghouse.

Yeah your right something definetely doesn't smell right. I don't think I have ever seen a rookie start 13 games and then get cut the following year. And to top it all off he plays a position that we are desperate for help at. I would feel much better if we knew what Major Wright will look like but he has only played 1/2 of 1 preseason game and Chris Harris has been mediocre at best.

Yeah your right something definetely doesn't smell right. I don't think I have ever seen a rookie start 13 games and then get cut the following year. And to top it all off he plays a position that we are desperate for help at. I would feel much better if we knew what Major Wright will look like but he has only played 1/2 of 1 preseason game and Chris Harris has been mediocre at best.

Good point. Last year as a rookie he beat out Craig Steltz and Josh Bullocks for the starting job. Now he can't beat them out for a roster spot?

What's even worse is last year he wasn't competing with them for a starting job. He was competing with Kevin Payne.

Now we have Chris Harris. He was going to be cut by Carolina so we gave them a 6th round pick? We originally traded him to make room for Payne . . .

As of pre-season week 3, D Manning looks like our best safety. Will someone please shoot me?

They do...look how long we stuck with Grossman to name one.

This team has no brain.

with some players they do, but how many DB's have started & then just not figured for the team the next year? McBride,Payne, Grahamnow Alfalava. it just seems they expect their DB's to be instant all-pro's & if they don't they try someone else

True. The DB is a position that Angelo cnnot draft, Smith cannot coach or develop. Only Manning is person that has had success, and that is as a returner. Natural skill, not anything coachable.

with some players they do, but how many DB's have started & then just not figured for the team the next year? McBride,Payne, Grahamnow Alfalava. it just seems they expect their DB's to be instant all-pro's & if they don't they try someone else

LMAO @ keeping Rashied Davis over Iglesias. God damn this Bears organization is the dumbest in the entire NFL. Guarantee you Iglesias makes it on another team this year and becomes a really good player. The guy is still young! But of course our idiot coaching staff can't find a place for him amongst our superstar WR's! Then we go and cut Gilbert. Angelo is the biggest idiot GM I know. Maybe we should just trade all of our 3rd round draft picks from now on because we end up cutting them after a year anyways. This just pisses me off beyond belief. I can't wait until we have a TOTAL revamp of our organization from Owners to coaches. CANT WAIT!

LMAO @ keeping Rashied Davis over Iglesias. God damn this Bears organization is the dumbest in the entire NFL. Guarantee you Iglesias makes it on another team this year and becomes a really good player. The guy is still young! But of course our idiot coaching staff can't find a place for him amongst our superstar WR's! Then we go and cut Gilbert. Angelo is the biggest idiot GM I know. Maybe we should just trade all of our 3rd round draft picks from now on because we end up cutting them after a year anyways. This just pisses me off beyond belief. I can't wait until we have a TOTAL revamp of our organization from Owners to coaches. CANT WAIT!

Gilbert being released doesnt surprise. What has he done outside of the last 2 preseason games. Iglesias, I just dont know what to think of him. He has talent but for whatever reason he wasnt able to bring it to the field. I wish both well but understand the moves. What pisses me off is the college scouting department and talent evaluators for college and the combination of JA and LS. I can't stand LS and his refusal to play a different defense when something isn't working and with Iglesias I don't think he was ever given a fair shot to make this team to begin with. What a wasted 2007 and 2009 draft classes as a whole. At least we got Knox out of it. Thank you denver for the trade.

Gilbert being released doesnt surprise. What has he done outside of the last 2 preseason games. Iglesias, I just dont know what to think of him. He has talent but for whatever reason he wasnt able to bring it to the field. I wish both well but understand the moves. What pisses me off is the college scouting department and talent evaluators for college and the combination of JA and LS. I can't stand LS and his refusal to play a different defense when something isn't working and with Iglesias I don't think he was ever given a fair shot to make this team to begin with. What a wasted 2007 and 2009 draft classes as a whole. At least we got Knox out of it. Thank you denver for the trade.

Knox and DA are our only legitimate WR's. Bennett will be cut next year and Rashied Davis is 32 years old. There is no argument to be made that suggests you keep Rashied Davis who gives you nothing over Iglesias who is atleast still young to prove something. It comes down to either Angelo being a crappy talent evaluator or Lovie and his staff not being able to make anybody better.

True. The DB is a position that Angelo cnnot draft, Smith cannot coach or develop. Only Manning is person that has had success, and that is as a returner. Natural skill, not anything coachable.

Angelo drafted Tillman, Vasher, and Bowman. If you want to say he can't draft safeties, I am in agreement.

Peace :dabears

Although it hasn't been disproven that the Bears do have issues with evaluating decent WR's: see Berrian, Gage, Wade and Bradley of recent memory who have had decent careers since leaving and others like Muhammad and Berlin that arrived later in their careers. But with Iglesias I see shades of Airese Currie. In fact I swore it was Currie trying out again with a different name on his back. Maybe he will do better with a different scheme, maybe not. My instinct says no. But in reality, how long has it been that the Bears have had a QB that can adequately and "traditionally" use a true WR? Since McMahaon there has been something like 20-30 starting QB's and only a few that have proven decent? Again and as I have mentioned before the Bears have always been more the ground and pound type of offense. I disagree that Davis is not a valuable player. Not only is he a veteran now but as someone else mentioned he has intangible value as a Special Teamer. He also has shown courage with over the middle receptions and being able to make more catches than misses. He may not be much of a YAC receiver but he, like Bennett, is a good "clutch" receiver.

Like was mentioned in another reply I too don't see what all the greatness was about Gilbert. He has had a few years to contribute, more so this year with Alex Brown and Ogunleye gone but was unable to produce. So there isn't much you can do or say that would convince me that he is any better than who they decided to stay with, whether it be along the line or somewhere else in the defense.

Although it hasn't been disproven that the Bears do have issues with evaluating decent WR's: see Berrian, Gage, Wade and Bradley of recent memory who have had decent careers since leaving and others like Muhammad and Berlin that arrived later in their careers. But with Iglesias I see shades of Airese Currie. In fact I swore it was Currie trying out again with a different name on his back. Maybe he will do better with a different scheme, maybe not. My instinct says no. But in reality, how long has it been that the Bears have had a QB that can adequately and "traditionally" use a true WR? Since McMahaon there has been something like 20-30 starting QB's and only a few that have proven decent? Again and as I have mentioned before the Bears have always been more the ground and pound type of offense. I disagree that Davis is not a valuable player. Not only is he a veteran now but as someone else mentioned he has intangible value as a Special Teamer. He also has shown courage with over the middle receptions and being able to make more catches than misses. He may not be much of a YAC receiver but he, like Bennett, is a good "clutch" receiver.

Like was mentioned in another reply I too don't see what all the greatness was about Gilbert. He has had a few years to contribute, more so this year with Alex Brown and Ogunleye gone but was unable to produce. So there isn't much you can do or say that would convince me that he is any better than who they decided to stay with, whether it be along the line or somewhere else in the defense.

There is 1 good thing that I am taking from these cuts and that is for once this coaching staff isn't giving in 2 the fact that a player was a draft pick a yr ago. Typically we would have held on to these guys for at least another year and then cut them after they have destroyed the team because the coaching staff would give them time after time. LS and JA are way to patient with players. i.e how many chances did we give Rex. As far as the debate between Iglesias and Davis. I would have liked to see what Iglesias could do but he got injured a couple of times so we don't know what he could do. With Davis we know what he can do and we know what we will get from him. Now granted its not a whole lot but for whatever reason he has learned TRUST with Cutler and that is key and the fact that Davis is actually a pretty good special teams player who doesn't get hurt every time.

I agree on the cuts being surprising with two former 3rd Rd picks being cut after just one season. Throughout the offseason we had a lot of discussion about the shakeup at Halas Hall and one thing that leaked out was that after the Superbowl Lovie had a lot of input over the draft picks. That changed this offseason and the Bears cleaned house among the lower levels and it seems they removed some of Lovie's authority over the draft (I'm sure he still has input). While I'm pretty upset we wasted two more 3rd round picks the fact both these guys got cut so quickly does imply some shift at Halas Hall, either in power, or talent evaluation, or both. The last time I remember JA bailing on a 3rd Rd pick so quickly was (I think) Roosevelt Williams.

As far as Gilbert: He showed very little and I really don't see why we even tried to stick him at DE. In his place the former RB Henry Melton makes the squad but by all accounts Melton not only looked better in preseason he's a hard working guy. Same goes for Toeaina. Again, I bet if they are on special teams these guys put more effort into it than Gilbert.

I am not surprised Beekman is gone. He looked pretty bad at Center this preseason and that's the main reason we've been keeping him around. Clearly Tice has had significant influence in the line in terms of who we kept around.

I am surprised we kept 4 TEs. As I said in another post this appeared likely when we cut Iglesias, prior to that it seemed we might be headed this direction when Clark was listed as an H-back. Seems clear protecting Cutler is a priority (as it should be) and we'll do that often via 2 TE sets. Given that need the coaches decided they could use a combination of Olson and/or RBs lined up at WR instead of the 6th WR.

The most surprising guy to make the roster for me is Wolfe. Back when we signed Martz I would have bet we'd keep 6 WRs and 3 RBs instead we get 5 WRs and 4 RBs. Wolfe didn't make it based on his running so it came down to him being the special teams ace we kept instead of Shaw.

We have a lot of depth at LB! Perhaps someday we'll say the same thing about Safety.

Maybe this has more to do with keeping 4 TE's and the possibility of using Olson more as a receiving threat than a TE.

I think you're right. And what has Iglesis shown that Davis hasn't? If Iglesias was hot stuff he'd have illustrated it.

Knox and DA are our only legitimate WR's. Bennett will be cut next year and Rashied Davis is 32 years old. There is no argument to be made that suggests you keep Rashied Davis who gives you nothing over Iglesias who is atleast still young to prove something. It comes down to either Angelo being a crappy talent evaluator or Lovie and his staff not being able to make anybody better.

So we have shitty WR's or thats what you are saying, yet that crap was still apparently better than Iglesias.

And you know what, I got a feeling that Mike Martz knows a whole hell of a lot about offensive talent so I'm going to have to take his word on things and trust that a bulk of the offensive decisions (cuts/kept) were made by him and his coaches (including a very much respected Mike Tice in regards to Beekman).

I'm incredibly dissapointed that we missed on so many 3rd round picks as of late, but we hit on Knox late and that works. And at the time, people were happy we get Iglesias since some places had him projected as a 1st rounder.

Turns out he just wasn't able to pick up things that quickly in Chicago. Maybe in time he develops elsewhere, but I can't fault our staff for dumping him. Most of the beat writers said he didn't look that great in camp, etc.

Oh and do I need to mention how the brilliant Jets want pretty much nothing to do with Joe McKnight who they took around the same time as Iglesias/Gilbert. And he was drafted this year.

I think its actually better that we are cutting our losses immediately and I think part of it is because we now have better offensive coaches (Tice and Martz are elite).

My biggest fear is that our offense makes strides throughout the season (it will start slowly) but they'll end up getting outsted when we bring in a new coach and will have to start all over (because as a whole we will not be very good).

I really like what we have on the offensive side of the ball from a coaching perspective.