Injury problems

jason

The Bears have to be one of the most unlucky teams in the history of the NFL.

http://www.letsbeardown.com/2017/06/14/bea...ers-for-the-st/

These may be last year's injury, but they are sore reminders of bad luck.

last year , they were the worst team in the league as far as missed time for players. The injuries derailed us from being close to 8-8. They revieved everything they did with injuries last year to see how they could improve the situation. They are bringing guys along slow as to make sure they are healthy when they hit the field.

It does not look good yet, but it will be by September

Agreed. His quality of life is far more important.

Not sure if this has been talked about. http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/...on/Default.aspx

One would think that his next concus will the end of his career hopefully at the most. Two months, I would think that would make anyone think. As a fan, I do not want to see him continue to play, if he ever gets another.

Check this out from Football Outsiders:

Chicago's 155.1 AGL is the highest in our database since 2000, eclipsing the 141.3 AGL for the 2013 Giants. Chicago had 12 players incur at least 6.0 AGL. The next closest teams were Buffalo and San Diego with eight such players each. The Bears suffered at various positions, starting with center Hroniss Grasu, who tore his ACL in August. Wide receiver Kevin White has only managed to play four games in his first two seasons after Chicago selected him seventh overall in 2015. No one expected the offense to be led in rushing by rookie Jordan Howard and in receiving by Cameron Meredith, but injuries helped cause that. Quarterback was also a big problem with Jay Cutler missing 11 games and Brian Hoyer lost for the season before November, prompting Matt Barkley to start the final six games. Barkley was actually the team's fourth choice at the position, as third-string quarterback Connor Shaw broke his leg in the preseason. The defense also suffered with significant time missed by Kyle Fuller, Lamarr Houston, Eddie Goldman, Danny Trevathan, and Pernell McPhee.

Not surprisingly, the Bears finished 3-13 and had a disappointing season. However, the team was still 25th in DVOA instead of dead last, and played pretty competitively down the stretch despite Barkley playing in a rag-tag offense. The correlation between 2016 AGL and 2016 team DVOA was -0.31, which is essentially the average of what we have observed over the years.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-anal...sted-games-lost

We had the highest "adjusted games lost" since 2000, with 12 players that each had 6 or more AGL, wow. We missed more games than the 5 teams with the least amount of time missed combined. Also, we have the most time missed over the last two years (2015 and 2016 combined) as well.

A little extra analysis using the numbers. On average, we have missed the most games of any team over the last 3 years. Interestingly enough, the top 5 teams in the last 3 years with the most games lost to injury all have losing records over that period as well. So even if you can overcome one bad year, it looks like it can be cumulative (one year impacts another).

CHI - 155.1 (3-13)

SD - 127.8 (5-11)

MIN - 120.6 (8-8)

NYJ - 110.5 (5-11)

WAS - 101.5 (8-7-1)

NYG - 138.7 (6-10)

WAS - 119.1 (9-7)

BAL - 96.1 (5-11)

NE - 93.3 (12-4)

CHI - 92.8 (6-10)

2-yr AVG

1. CHI - 124.0

2. WAS - 110.3

3. SD - 108.2

4. NYG - 95.6

5. SF - 90.7

NYG - 137.1 (6-10)

SD - 119.1 (9-7)

IND - 104.7 (11-5)

OAK - 103.6 (3-13)

SF - 101.8 (8-8)

CHI - 101.6 (5-11)

3-yr AVG

1. CHI - 116.5 (14-34)

2. SD - 111.8 (18-30)

3. NYG - 109.4 (23-25)

4. WAS - 103.4 (21-26-1)

5. SF - 94.4 (15-33)

The Giants offer us a ray of hope. When injuries have piled up, they have had losing records of 6-10, but when healthy (in 2016 with only 52 AGL) they went 11-5 with virtually the same team. BAL improved by 3 games, and OAK by 4 games the year following an injury-riddled year. So we have the potential for a 3-4 game bump by just getting healthy. That coupled with actual more talent on the field could yield 4-5 wins from last year. Maybe we look at OAK as an example, they went 3-13 with a ton of injuries in 2014, then 7-9, followed by a 12-4 season which was only derailed by an injury (to Carr).

• 3 months later...
Apparently the hits keep on coming.

I refuse to believe it's all bad luck, a curse, or something like that. This has to be a team, training, fitness, preparation, or field related problem.

I had that same thought a couple weeks ago and when I brought it up I was shot down. I've never seen 1 team have this many injury problems 2 straight yrs like this. Send a little much to be just coincidence

The idea of randomness seems to not be the case. Evidence is surely pointing in the direction that there's something they are doing wrong...

I refuse to believe it's all bad luck, a curse, or something like that. This has to be a team, training, fitness, preparation, or field related problem.

Jason,

I think you nailed the issues. It is not one issue, it is multiple. That is why there are so many and some are similar in nature to others.